Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What category is the 2006 RAV4 belongs if it has 3rd row seat and a 268hp V6 engine? Midsize or still in small size SUV? Because I think the 2006 RAV4 has more power than the HONDA PILOT.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New RAV4 size

:? The size of the new RAV4 looks to be nearly identical to that of the Subaru Tribeca, and very close to that of the Lexus RX330, both of whom are considered midsized. Personally, I normally leave the 2nd row seats of my current 2004 RAV4 sitting in the closet 99% of the time due to lack of use. I am certainly do not need a third row of seats. If I did I would get a highlander or a 4Runner, or even the new Subaru Tribeca. It looks to me that Toyota is losing one of the top selling points of the RAV, and that is its small size. You can park the current model anywhere with no problem, with parallel parking being easy. Extra size will just make that more difficult. As for the V6, I wouldn’t mind the extra power, but the extra weight will counteract that to an extent, as will concerns with gas prices. In my opinion, just offering a turbo version, or making the supercharger the TRD developed for the Scion TC version of the 2AZ motor available as an option would provide the same benefits without the weight penalty. Toyota can always offer both a 6 cylender and a forced induction option, like Subaru does. Of course I would love to have a hybrid option for the RAV as well. :?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TOYOTA is a stupid retard!!!

......Are these friggin people on DRUGS???? :roll: :x .....more than 14 inches longer than the current version???.....DID I READ THAT CORRECTLY??? WAS THAT F-O-U-R-T-E-E-N???....or ONE-POINT-FOUR????........ This just pisses me OFFFF!!! :x :x ...that makes it about 182 inches long (and the Highlander is 184 :roll: :roll: )....these idiotic Toyota designers have taken the fabulous RAV4 and turned it into another people moving piece-of-trash ......SHAME SHAME SHAME on Toyota for giving into the "bigger-is-better" idiots who live in this country .....Goodbye Toyota, Hello Suzuki Grand Vitara :x

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
victor555 said:
Goodbye Toyota, Hello Suzuki Grand Vitara
all i can say is "Suzuki...Yikes..."

tsk. tsk. tsk. :lol: 2006 Vitara..it looks like they copied the RAV4...maybe they're the one ON drugs...because they can't even think of a :cry: design not similar to the exterior of the RAV4. A REAL COPYCAT :evil: :oops:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2006 RAV4

I saw the 2006 spy photos, and immediately ran out and bought a 2005, while I could still order one with the options I wanted. This looks too much like the Highlander, and is longer and wider than the 2005. I wanted a smaller SUV, not a Highlander size vehicle. With gas prices at $3+ a gallon, you'd think this bigger would be a move in the WRONG direction, especially if it comes with a V6. It also looks a bit lower. Now Toyota has no small SUV's in that market size, unless you call the Matrix a SUV. It's not even 'cute'.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, that 14" longer thing really turned me off to the new rav4. I like the small size of the past Rav4s cause they're hella easy to park in tight situations or squeeze into tight right turns where other vehicles might have to wait for the light to turn green. Man, my perfect Rav4 would have the 4.2 body, the new engine of the 4.3, with the 5 speed auto/paddleshifting of the newer IS300, awd, 4 wheel disc brakes of the 4.2.5, Options for CAI, Koni struts, Eibach Sprins, or Tein Adjustable coil overs, button for economy/sporty driving.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There you go....

Slayer said:
...............Man, my perfect RAV4 would have the 4.2 body, the new engine of the 4.3, with the 5 speed auto/paddleshifting of the newer IS300, awd, 4 wheel disc brakes of the 4.2.5, Options for CAI, Koni struts, Eibach Sprins, or Tein Adjustable coil overs, button for economy/sporty driving.
.......You're talking my language now!!! ......I was hoping for just that, but these foolish people have to go and screw up a good thing, I guess. :roll:

......the whole friggin point of the RAV4 is it's SIZE SIZE and SIZE....when will these stupid people realize that????? :roll: A fully redesigned RAV in it's CURRENT SIZE body (or a couple inches longer at the most), with an optional powerful V6 motor, and good deal of the "luxury" goodies (NAV, bluetooth etc.) is what they SHOULD have done, but instead we get this "fourteen inch longer" insanity :roll:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CRV??....

postman said:
Maybe CRV :shock:
.....that's another 180-INCH LONG piece of trash!!!.....I always thought Honda was a idiotic company for making this "SMALL" :roll: SUV so friggin BIG (how sensible :roll: ).....of course, there were a lot of idiotic morons who bought this vehicle because of it's big size :roll: ....these same stupid people should've done themselves a big favor and got themselves a Toyota Sequoia instead (Yeeaaahh!!, now that one's REAAALLLLY large :roll: )

I had always admired Toyota for keeping the RAV4 TRUE TO IT'S ROOTS and focused it perfectly at the people it was targeted for, but now we know better

....I guess when you're confronted by a STUPID IDIOTIC MORONIC and RETARDED buying public (not in Europe, but here in the US) that is obsessed with larger and larger things, then you have to just do whatever it is that pays your bills

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, they have to satisfy the north american hunger for giant monsters to drive down the road. I agree that I think they made it way too large now but in their defense what can they do? Everyone wants a bigger vehicle but dont want to shell out thousands for mid-size SUV's or larger. So the entire industry has made all "compact" vehicles mid-sized to satisfy customers.

I personally would rather see the RAV and other vehicles in this category stay in the compact size. That doesnt mean tiny. The current RAV 4.2 are not small, I dont understand why everyone says that. They are perfect size especially if you dont have more than 4 in a family. They manuever everywhere and I must say, if you offroad you will want a smaller vehicle.

The new RAV has a bigger engine and new 4wd(electronic is not as good as mechanical in my opinion) with locking center diff which is great but with that longer wheelbase and huge size and weight, it wont manuever offroad as well as the 4.2's or 4.1's. It will be faster, stronger etc etc but that wont help you negotiate a tight trail. I suppose that is not important to most.

I think those that need the extra space and want something affordable this is the best news. But for those of us who want something that doesnt require backing up sirens to park or manuever and compact will just have to wait for a manufacturer to put one in their lineups or just suck it up and buy a behemoth.

I will miss the compact SUV and will be disappointed when it comes time to buy another vehicle.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I agree with many of the points mentioned above and some of us definitely are getting emotionally heated on this subject. :D
Just remember we are lucky to have, luv our present Rav’s, and also I think Rav owners are very rational people who think before they act or else we would be Yukon or Hummer owners.
As for myself and including some others find it a bit difficult to say what they really feel being a member of the Rav4 Club, liking the members, sharing important info, and the whole concept of the AWD Rav. However I don’t think we have any commitment to Toyota even though they are a dam great company in many aspects.
I sure hope someone in Toyota’s management knows how to use a keyboard, mouse and has a DSL to access this, the best RAV Group in the world to get consumer feedback both past and present.

Unfortunately the bottom line is that Toyota wants offer a product that will take a bigger piece of the Market share. Basically to make more Money. There is not to many companies today like the Enzo Ferrari’s of 40 years ago when he built on passion and dreams.
All Concepts go through Marketing people look at stats and crunch numbers.
That is how our 4.1 and 4.2 where baptized but unfortunately we now seem to be a minorprotit minority.

I am hoping later on for another pole called the “4.3 Concept (feedback on dimensions/Mechanical and not Styling) and or “Would you buy 4.3” so we can get a better picture on others views.

Having said all that could a long time member please give input on what the re-action to the 4.2 was when it came out regarding both Design and Mechanical changes?

Thanks, Walt

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New RAV4 size

I'm just glad that I can expect to get 10-15 years use out of my 2004 before I really need to start shopping again. In the meantime I'll just slap on the Tc Supercharger when it finally comes out to satisfy my power cravings.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i didn't know that a lot of people didn't like the longer rav

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I (and many others) bought the rav mainly cuz of its size. It's easier to find parking anywhere because it's so short, it fits in the compact parking spaces :p. If i had a family (which will not happen anytime in the near or far future :p), i would probably have a different opinion about the newer rav. It's not like it's a bad design cuz i've seen it and it does looks nice, but it's too big just for me. I don't need all that room just for myself :roll: :p

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It si all about sales numbers, for every RAV 4.1 and 4.2 customers Toyota loses, they gain 3 for the 4.3. Sales numbers don't lie.

·
Registered
366 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
It's not like it's a bad design cuz i've seen it and it does looks nice, but it's too big just for me. I don't need all that room just for myself :roll: :p
If it was a question of need, I wouldn't be getting the V6. 8)

edit: And as for the '06 redesign, I would have to say that I don't think I would be interested if they had stuck with a 4.1 look, or even a 4.2 design - I really, really like the size and shape of the 4.3 versus the older models.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Way to resurrect an old thread from 2005, before the 4.3's were even available! I think we can all see it's still a great vehicle now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bought the 4.3 because of the bigger size. We looked at some 4.2 and i couldn't fit in the back seat, so what the point if you could only haul 10 year old kids. 4.3 is WAY better then the 4.2s. My sister owns a 4.1 and there is no way i would let my wife drive one of those tin boxes.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I considered a small SUV back in 97 when I bought my Camry but there was nothing around that interested me. When I saw the new Rav's I had to drive one. I was mainly looking for a smaller SUV but large enough for 4-5 adults when needed. I mainly use it to commute in so decent mileage on a V6 4x4 was important too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts