Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 2010 Rav4 for a 2016. I, like all of you love the Rav, but three things jumped out at me that makes me wonder what the engineers were thinking.

1.) The headlight cutoff (darkess above the horizontal) brings your night vision down to 30 yards when cresting a hill on a rolling road. In my part of the country, that's an invitation for a road kill. It's light or black, no transition. You should test drive one at night.

2.) When I set the steering wheel low, where I like it, it covers the analog speedometer. No problem, I've got digital displays. Oh wait, MPH is not displayed on anything. MPG, latitude, longitude, compass setting, radio stations, trip length, phase of the moon, is all there but not the most important thing to watch when you drive. I'll have to keep using my windshield mounted GPS.

3.) The center console armrest is 1" too short to allow me to rest my arm and still hold the wheel. C'mon guys, 1" wouldn't have made much difference.

I'll suffer through it and may become used to it, but everyone should be aware.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
3.) The center console armrest is 1" too short to allow me to rest my arm and still hold the wheel. C'mon guys, 1" wouldn't have made much difference.
I thought the same thing when I first got my RAV. Turns out I had raised up the power seat too much. Once I lowered it all the way down, the armrest was perfect for me and my short arms.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I also noticed all 3 things. I have LED headlight and I see dark border.
Also oncoming cars flashing me like I have high beams on.
Now I do not like LED. I wish I had old incandescent headlights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also noticed all 3 things. I have LED headlight and I see dark border.
Also oncoming cars flashing me like I have high beams on.
Now I do not like LED. I wish I had old incandescent headlights.

Thank you for mentioning this. The funny thing is my XLE doesn't have LED yet I see a similar cutoff compared to my older cars, so I can only imagine what it's like with LED headlamps. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Some owners are too quick to want to "upgrade".

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The headlight cutoff is a result of any projector headlight, halogen, HID or LED. I also miss the good old days headlights that faded over a much longer distance than a sharp cutoff too close in front of the car that all new vehicles have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts