Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Right at the very end of shifting, I get a small high pitched whistle. Usually (most noticably) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, at the end of shifting.
Now I am used to driving a '94 Altima which made a nice clunky noise at the end of the shift so i dont know if the whistle is normal.

It is not that big of a deal, doesnt really bother me, just want to be sure everything is Kosher.

I have been telling my buddies I put a SuperCharger in. :D

---------edit-------

20 views and still no response...this is scaring me. :shock:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have only noticed a whistle when putting my RAV in reverse(at the end of the throw). Dont have any whistle in any other gear. I think asking a toyota tech would be a good idea in case there are issues.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
End of the throw ...thats a good way to put it.

I am not too worried, yet I would hate for anything to happen because I have been driving with the whistle.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your RAV is still on factory 3 year/60,000km bumper to bumper warranty. I would take it in to your dealership and ask them to check it out and ensure its not a problem, hopefully they wont charge you for that.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More on this.

I was driving home last night and realized that this happens 60% of the time when accelerating. From 1st to 2nd and into 3rd, not 4th or 5th. So it is not at the end of the throw, it is at the begining of acceleration. Its not loud or anything, my girlfriend in the passenger seat can't even hear it. It sounds like a little bit of air being released. I think I am just being parranoid.

You know how it is when you buy a new car. :shock:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be that everything is "breaking in" if you recently bought it but I would still ask the dealership if that is a normal occurance. My RAV never made any sound like that when accelerating when I bought it so I wouldnt ignore it unless the 05's have this issue?

Ask a service advisor and they may tell you if it is normal or not. Its better to have a service tech say its normal or get it checked out than to ignore it and hope its nothing to worry about. But that is just me.

Cheers,

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just spoke to the service manager at my Toyota, and he said that there is a possibility that the injector could make a slight noise, he said he didnt know if it was a whistle neccesarily. He told me to bring it in and they will take it for a quick test drive, and it will be covered under my warranty.

Thanks for the help and advice, i will keep this post updated with the results.

Cheers! :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also noticed this with my rav4 also. Just like you mentioned, it happens from gears 1,2,3 and sometimes even 4th gear. To me it sounds like a suction noise, and I believe it has to do with the intake system of our cars. I also hear this sound from my friends integra which has an aftermarket intake system but its much more noticable. Back to topic, I don't think this is a big issue but I'm not to sure, I would also like to know what causes this sound.

P.S.- I've also noticed this noise whenever I ease off the gas pedal and then quickly get back on the throttle.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've noticed this as well and think it's something in the intake. That's why I mentioned before that I prefer to use the K&N filter cause it eliminates this whiny, whirring sound you an sometimes hear if you listen closely enough during shifts. You get a bit deeper rumble with the K&N filter and not the wimpy sound of the oem filter.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CodeRed said:
P.S.- I've also noticed this noise whenever I ease off the gas pedal and then quickly get back on the throttle.
Exactly! I hear it then too. I am taking it in this weekend so the service manager can have a listen. I will let you know what he says.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the exactly same thing in my car too, but in two different possition. engine starts making a whistle at around 2k rpms and at the end of the throw especially in 1st and 2nd gear like u guys. This actually sounds good but it get me worried a little bit.
BTW I have auto transmission.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havnt had the chance to bring it in to the shop yet. I can notice the noise a little more now and it is worrying. I am going to bring it in this weekend, I need to get my alignment looked at as well, has a little pull to the right. I will let you know what Toyota says.

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts