Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Smart charge and get paid for NYC and Westchester EV (not RAV4 prime!!) owners

3741 Views 26 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  compulady
Con Edision has a smartcharge program for New York city and Westchester customers. Get PAID (monthly via Paypal) 10 cents per kwh for charging from 12am to 8am, plus $5-$20 bonus per month). For customers on their "Time of Use" plan... pay only 1.7 cents per kwh from 12am to 8am (plus supply charge, I buy from ESCO at fixed 8 cents).
They have a long list of supported EVs (including prius prime)... but not Rav4 prime. I just got a SE and called them. They said there're only 4 Rav4 prime owners called... so they have no plan yet to update their system to support Rav4. I thought there're many Rav4 primes sold in NYC... How many NYC owners are interested in joining the smartcharge program?
If their system finally support Rav4 prime, charging at night could be profitable;).
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Live in NJ, so this would not apply. However, the RAV4 Prime is not eligible for PA NYNJ EZPass toll discounts, since the car must get greater than 40mpg. My 2010 Prius gets the discount, but not this car. Perhaps you could work on this also.

· Registered
321 Posts
I emailed the support address and asked them if they were planning to add the RAV4 Prime to their supported vehicles, because I'm considering buying one. Here's their response:

"Currently, we do not formally support the Toyota RAV4 Prime. However, our engineering team is working very hard to support the vehicle in the near future. While I don't have an exact timeline as to when this support will launch, I would recommend for you to apply to the program regardless with Toyota RAV4 Prime as the vehicle. This will place you on a waitlist and will allow us to contact as soon as the vehicle is fully supported."

I use this program for my Chevy Volt and it has saved me somewhere between $1500 and $2000 over the last 5 years. It's worked very well - I've had a minor glitch or two with the device not communicating with their servers, but their tech support was very responsive and resolved the issues quickly and completely.

You and I can both earn an extra $25 if you use my referral link to sign up: SmartCharge New York | SmartCharge Rewards

· Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. Live in NJ, so this would not apply. However, the RAV4 Prime is not eligible for PA NYNJ EZPass toll discounts, since the car must get greater than 40mpg. My 2010 Prius gets the discount, but not this car. Perhaps you could work on this also.
This might be worth challenging for the RAV4 Prime. If it's derived from the NYS DOT list that NYSTA uses (I'm guessing this is a Port Authority plan being referenced?) that list has PHEVs that get sub 45 MPG when running in gas/hybrid mode. Fusion PHEV is a good example of this at 42.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass (List for those curious...)

· Registered
2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime XSE Magnetic-Gray Metallic
40 Posts
Yeah, they are looking into it. Not much happens during the holidays.
@snic Did you get it working? I just got mine today. I think I followed your referral link so you should get $25 once I install it. Too cold to install it today but I will as soon as the temps rise a bit.
Any tips on finding the port?

· Registered
321 Posts
@snic Did you get it working? I just got mine today. I think I followed your referral link so you should get $25 once I install it. Too cold to install it today but I will as soon as the temps rise a bit.
Any tips on finding the port?
Thanks for following my link!

Yes it finally works. It took a few days for them to fix it. The port is on the left side of the car, below the dashboard area where the seat warmer button is (and more to the left). You have to use the extension cable they provide and tuck the device into the area behind the port. It's kind of a pain to get it in there securely but with some effort it's doable.

· Registered
6 Posts
I registered in December but they didn't send the device yet so I just reminded them and they promised to send. Do you need to keep the device plugged in at all times? what about when you want to use an OBD scanner?

they also promise to give you $150 just to sign up for the program, not bad!

· Registered
321 Posts
Yes, you have to keep the device plugged in at all times. If you unplug more than twice per month, you get penalized (they dock some of your earnings, can't remember exactly how much). So, you can take the car to the shop for occasional issues or maintenance that they need to use the OBD port. But if you plan to use your own scanner regularly you can ask them for a Y cable. Whether that works is a different question - I haven't tried it and I think I remember reading somewhere that you can get conflicts when there are two devices plugged into the same OBD port.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts