Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone, first time on here to post anything in forums. I have been having an issue with my smart key, ie it just stopped working, on one night it wouldn't open car or start it when I got inside. I have taken the car to the dealer close by where I live in Spain and after a few different visits and the recommended purchase of a new FOB they are now telling me that problem is not the key but with the ECU and will cost almost 1000 euro to replace. Would be grateful if anyone on here could shed some more light on this, is there any alternative to this major outlay of money to have this fixed. I can still gain access to car and start it by touching FOB off the start button. The RAV is question is a 2007, model D-CAT. 8930042021 BOX ASSY ECU is ref number for the part they said needs replacing. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you can still start the vehicle by touching the FOB to the start button, it could mean that the ECU is working properly. The only missing link is the RF signal the ECU is not getting from your SMART KEY. Try replacing the battery inside the FOB. It may just fix the issue for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for reply. I had already tried to replace battery, dealer also tried this, so that is ruled out as being the problem. I should also add that dealer says that upon trying to recode the smart key it fails at last step of that process, I don't know what that process involves though. This same for my original smart key plus the new key I purchased.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts