Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2020 Rav4 less than two months and have only put 1100 miles on it but it's been sitting in my carport since this morning with this same issue. I was hoping to find a simple answer here but now I guess I'll be calling the dealership to come get it and maybe find a permanent solution. I know there was nothing left on in my car last night because I went out to carport several times throughout the night and never saw any lights and I don't have any seat warmer/cooler options. I'm very disappointed to have a brand new vehicle and yet I've been stuck all day. There's no excuse especially with the amount of money I paid for it. I bought a new car because I need something dependable being in the country alone and thought I made a good choice with the Rav4. Sure wish I had known there were starting issues with them before I purchased it. I'll update after dealer picks it up and hopefully fixes it.
UPDATE: Dealer said they checked the battery and it was healthy and holding a charge so I must have left something on that drained the battery. I explained that when the car first wouldn't start that morning all the dash lights were on and headlights were flashing but later that evening when I tried it was obvious the battery had been discharging throughout the day because everything was much dimmer. I double checked that morning and there was definitely not something left on. Now every time I get in the car I'm waiting for it to not start again. I can't believe I'm having to worry about it with a brand new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2020 rav4 XLE. I've owned the car for 7 months now. It was parked for about 24 hours. I first opened the trunk and noticed that the light in the trunk was a bit dimmer than usual, but didn't think much of it. When I tried to close the trunk, it wouldn't close. I went to the driver's seat and attempted to turn the car on and it wouldn't start. Instead, the following message showed up on the screen: "Smart Key System Malfunction. See Owner's Manual"

I tried to turn on the car a few times and nothing happened, so I did a search on Google and found this forum. Luckily my wife's car was parked right next to my rav4, so I took a jumper cable to jump start it and then I was able to start the car.
I precisely bought a brand new car to avoid these types of issues with used cars. I'm extremely disappointed at Toyota for not acknowledging this issue with the 2020 rav4, even after being reported by so many rav4 owners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went out of town for about 3 days. When I got back, the car said "Smart Key System Malfunction." The car cluster display was flickering, but it eventually stopped. Now, the car won't turn on at all; the power locks of the car doors (or any other electronics) won't work.

Toyota dealership is closed on Sundays. Any one else experience this problem?

Video link of flickering dashboard:
2020 RAV4 Limited AWD

View attachment 150461
I just had the same thing happen. Car only has 3,000 miles on it. Thought Toyota’s were reliable. Dealership said to have it towed in tomorrow. Hopefully there is a permanent fix for this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Woods, what model do you have ? Thx !
2020 RAV4 hybrid. When the tow truck came he had to jump start the car because it was totally dead and he couldn’t get it into neutral. When he disconnected, the car was again totally dead. He towed it in to the dealership and they said it started right up for them. The car is showing no codes. They are keeping until tomorrow to see if it starts in the morning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
2020 RAV4 hybrid. When the tow truck came he had to jump start the car because it was totally dead and he couldn’t get it into neutral. When he disconnected, the car was again totally dead. He towed it in to the dealership and they said it started right up for them. The car is showing no codes. They are keeping until tomorrow to see if it starts in the morning.
Thanks for sharing - hope issue is resolved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had this same issue, camelback Toyota is saying there is no evidence of this issue, they said the battery is completely healthy and will be returning the vehicle.
Me and my wife walked out to the car and tried starting it, instead of starting we got a “smart key system malfunction” when the tow truck arrived to get the parking brake disengaged we had to jump start the vehicle, to my surprise it started up immediately. Guess that fixed the issue as of right now. I’m willing to bet it will happen again.
Please call Toyota and report the issue. They won’t even look into the problem unless they get enough complaints. (800) 331-4331

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh wow! I just tried starting my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited and have the same issue. Car wouldn’t start, got an error message “Smart Key Malfunction.” Interior lights were really dim. It was only sitting overnight in the garage. Car is only 2 months old with 4,900 miles. Had an routine service appointment tomorrow anyhow, so will be calling the dealer in the morning. We’re supposed to take it on a 1,500 mile road trip on Friday and now I’m nervous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My guess is that the dealer will find nothing wrong with it. I had a lot more luck with the main Toyota Number 800-331-4331. The gal that is looking into the issue for me said she recently had two others report it. I have a KARR alarm installed that I purchased when I bought the car but was installed by a third party. Sounds like she is looking into that. She also mentioned that you should make sure your key fob is not near the vehicle. I think the manual says 7+ feet. The key fob can continue to talk to the car if it’s close. Good luck and please post if they find an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One more note. I had the error around 6:00pm. By the next morning, the car was totally dead and had to be jump started to get it into neutral.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my RAV4 2020 Hybrid XSE for two weeks and this happened; 12V battery dead over night. The only things that I did not turn off was audio power and I left windshield wipers turned to auto. Wondering if there is an issue with power continuing to be drawn by sensor for auto windshield wiper. Also possible is that the vehicle is continuously sending data to Toyota app on my cell phone, could be a source of draw?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi! I didn’t have my wipers on auto when it happened to me. On a different site, the dealership did a DCM firmware update. They aren’t sure if that fixed the problem. Please call the main Toyota number and report. The more of us that report it, the faster they will look into the issue. So far, I have found 3 or 4 forums regarding this issue with the 2020 RAV4 hybrid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my 2020 rav 4 had this issue today. It was fine yesterday when being used and then this morning it had the error. Nothing different was done for the rav than normal.
Currently charging up my jump starter battery to see if I can get it going and calling the number that woodsj3 said to so we get enough going to have a recall done to get this crap fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry...make sure it gets reported To Toyota headquarters. My dealership said I had to report it. They would not and said there was nothing wrong with my vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 xle premium
3 Posts
I just had the second dead battery issue today. The first was 2 weeks ago. I parked the car on Friday night at 7 pm and I was ready for a shopping trip on Sunday at 11 am. The door unlocked okay, but I noticed that the instrument panel was dim. I pushed the start button and the starter clicked but would not start. I called the tow truck and gave him the note to the dealership for the details of the issue. The driver hooked up the charger and the car started without issue. I will be asking the dealership to see if they can figure out where the power drain is coming from. I’ll update if there is any new information they give me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2020 models seem to be having a dead 12v battery issue after sitting for a short while. I don't think Toyota has acknowledged the issue or even found a remedy, other than replace the battery, which I have a feeling isn't the issue. Some component on the car is for some reason draining the battery at odd intervals. The scenario is that the dealer usually tests for current draws, finds none and sends the customer home with either a warning to drive the car more or replace the battery. I say BS. This hasn't been fixed as far as I've heard. Even though my 2019 can sit for almost a week without killing the battery, the voltage drops to near 12 volts just from the normal draw the car usually has as it sits. I have a charger/maintainer that I hook up to the battery if I don't drive the car for more than 4 days to keep from getting a dead battery.
2020 models seem to be having a dead 12v battery issue after sitting for a short while. I don't think Toyota has acknowledged the issue or even found a remedy, other than replace the battery, which I have a feeling isn't the issue. Some component on the car is for some reason draining the battery at odd intervals. The scenario is that the dealer usually tests for current draws, finds none and sends the customer home with either a warning to drive the car more or replace the battery. I say BS. This hasn't been fixed as far as I've heard. Even though my 2019 can sit for almost a week without killing the battery, the voltage drops to near 12 volts just from the normal draw the car usually has as it sits. I have a charger/maintainer that I hook up to the battery if I don't drive the car for more than 4 days to keep from getting a dead battery.
I have now had a dead battery twice after having my 2020 RAV4 hybrid sit for a couple days. The first time was for less than 24h, while the second time was for a little over 2 days parked at the airport.
Was Toyota able to offer you a solution other than switching out the battery? Their strategy of addressing the symptom and not the underlying problem is going to get us absolutely nowhere. I have opened a case with Toyota, we’ll see where it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2020 rav4 XLE. I've owned the car for 7 months now. It was parked for about 24 hours. I first opened the trunk and noticed that the light in the trunk was a bit dimmer than usual, but didn't think much of it. When I tried to close the trunk, it wouldn't close. I went to the driver's seat and attempted to turn the car on and it wouldn't start. Instead, the following message showed up on the screen: "Smart Key System Malfunction. See Owner's Manual"

I tried to turn on the car a few times and nothing happened, so I did a search on Google and found this forum. Luckily my wife's car was parked right next to my rav4, so I took a jumper cable to jump start it and then I was able to start the car.
I precisely bought a brand new car to avoid these types of issues with used cars. I'm extremely disappointed at Toyota for not acknowledging this issue with the 2020 rav4, even after being reported by so many rav4 owners.
They continue to insist that the issue has not been reported to them. A case manager told me “well, we don’t read the online forums so unless these people call us we have no evidence that this is a problem”.
I responded that I find it hard to believe that I’m the only one to call them with this issue. I think the next step needs to be some sort of legal action.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts