Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the second dead battery issue today. The first was 2 weeks ago. I parked the car on Friday night at 7 pm and I was ready for a shopping trip on Sunday at 11 am. The door unlocked okay, but I noticed that the instrument panel was dim. I pushed the start button and the starter clicked but would not start. I called the tow truck and gave him the note to the dealership for the details of the issue. The driver hooked up the charger and the car started without issue. I will be asking the dealership to see if they can figure out where the power drain is coming from. I’ll update if there is any new information they give me.
Thanks! I’ll be looking forward to an update from you. I had the same issue with almost similar timeline. First time, it died after sitting for less than 24 hours. The second time was last night when I came back from a trip, my car has been parked at the airport for a little over two days. When I went to get in, the key initially worked but I noticed that my dashboard lights were dim and I got a “smart key malfunction” error message. I happened upon this forum and deduced that it must be the battery. Sure enough, after a jumpstart, it was fine. It’s ridiculous having to deal with dead batteries literally every time my brand new car sits for longer than a day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was that the dealership or Toyota headquarters? The Service person at the dealership claimed that he hasnt seen the problem, but maybe another technician has...I’m sure they can look that up on their computers. The dealership told me that I would have to report it to Toyota if I wanted it looked into further because as far as they were concerned, there was nothing wrong with the car.
The gal I spoke to at Toyota headquarters confirmed that she had two people report the same issue in the last few weeks. I have spoken to her several times and there were additional people reporting the problem. She is now trying to work with the dealership and they won’t return her calls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just spoke to a lady at Toyota who also said she’ll need to contact the dealership and then get back to me. She wasn’t able to reach my dealership manager this morning. My issue is though, the problem isn’t with the dealership. They need to go back to the drawing board, contact the engineers and manufacturers, as this is a structural/electrical problem with these vehicles.
The dealership is only going to be able to tell them what we already know - the tested the battery, found it to be defective, replaced it with a new one.
mine was replaced 2 weeks ago, that didn’t stop it from needing a jumpstart when I got back from a weekend trip.
This is all so inconvenient

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that the problem isn’t going to be solved at the dealership. I assume they need to go back and forth until Toyota finally admits that there is a problem. Very disappointed in Toyota. Good luck. Sorry you were stranded. I am seeing more and more owners say they carry something to jump start the car. Unbelievable that you would have to do that with a brand new car. When does the lemon law kick in?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 xle premium
3 Posts
Thanks! I’ll be looking forward to an update from you. I had the same issue with almost similar timeline. First time, it died after sitting for less than 24 hours. The second time was last night when I came back from a trip, my car has been parked at the airport for a little over two days. When I went to get in, the key initially worked but I noticed that my dashboard lights were dim and I got a “smart key malfunction” error message. I happened upon this forum and deduced that it must be the battery. Sure enough, after a jumpstart, it was fine. It’s ridiculous having to deal with dead batteries literally every time my brand new car sits for longer than a day.
They replaced the battery, but as db2328 pointed out in post #43, it did not resolve the issue.

I did find this on another forum:

"Since you have replaced the battery, the next step is to make sure the alternator is charging the battery, and look for a power drain. When the car is off, remove the battery cable and using a test light as a jumper, pull all the fuses and disconnect the main wiaring until the light goes off. That cirucit would be tested for a short or a component not turned off."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I now keep a jump starter in the Rav. Will swing back around the next time it happens, as I left it at the dealership (it sat all weekend) and they checked it Monday and found no issue, and find the name of the CEO and which city they work out of for Toyota and then do a hand written note to their attention at the address.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing happened to me. 2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited. Last Friday it gave the smart key system malfunction error and shut down (fun fact, it also locked all the doors except the driver one, so my toddler was trapped in the backseat and had to climb into the front. Roadside assistance came out, said the battery was completely dead, jumped it, I drove it around for 30 minutes, took it to the dealer, who said the battery was fine, and came back home. Now (Tuesday), same thing happened. My car was purchased in April, has about 2800 miles on it, stored in the garage with the keys far in the house.

Also, I tried my jumper on the car but it didn't work, it's a new one so I don't know why it didn't work - hook up to the positive in the fuse box (yes, plastic cap pulled back) and the frame of the car for negative, then try to start up, right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry this is happening to you too. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like this is being acknowledged by the main Toyota. The dealership gave me a number to file a complaint with Toyota. Turns out it was Toyota Motor Sales. They looked into it with the dealership, but dealership says there is nothing they can do because the car checks out fine...even though they had to jump start the car. If anyone has a better contact to report the issue, please let me know. At this point, I don’t think it’s going anywhere.
If I didn’t have to work, I would sit outside the dealership with a sign that says don’t buy the new RAV4. Ridiculous that you can’t rely on a brand new car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry this is happening to you too. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like this is being acknowledged by the main Toyota. The dealership gave me a number to file a complaint with Toyota. Turns out it was Toyota Motor Sales. They looked into it with the dealership, but dealership says there is nothing they can do because the car checks out fine...even though they had to jump start the car. If anyone has a better contact to report the issue, please let me know. At this point, I don’t think it’s going anywhere.
If I didn’t have to work, I would sit outside the dealership with a sign that says don’t buy the new RAV4. Ridiculous that you can’t rely on a brand new car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm planning to report it to the (800) 331-4331 number posted in this thread. Tried to call this morning but after 15 minutes on hold, I had to drop off for another meeting. I'll try again this afternoon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is the number that I was given by the dealership, but I found out it was Toyota sales. I would still report it to them. The gal I was working with (Heve Not sure of spelling - sounds like ‘He V‘ or He B?) try this extension for her 71828. It may be faster with the extension.
I didn’t realize that the dealership gave me the sales number until yesterday when I got a survey. I think we need to file a complaint with Toyota manufacturing or corporate.
I would make sure you document each time it happens and make sure it gets to the dealership to be looked at. That way you can get an invoice from them that will help document the problem. If it happens to me again, I’m going to look into the lemon law.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to get someone pretty quick the second time I called, they opened a case and elevated it to a case manager. Dealer still has my car right now so they promised to follow-up with me by Friday. They did say that anytime a car is brought into the dealer for service that the problem and diagnostics get logged with corporate, but they appreciated the call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the exact same issue, I bought RAV4 XLE premium in June 2020, I had the same issue within 10 days though I was driving daily. Ultimately dealer replaced the battery . Now again I am facing the same issue, I called roadside assistance again today for jump start.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 xle premium
3 Posts
Just had the exact same issue, I bought RAV4 XLE premium in June 2020, I had the same issue within 10 days though I was driving daily. Ultimately dealer replaced the battery . Now again I am facing the same issue, I called roadside assistance again today for jump start.
They changed the battery on Monday on my RAV4 XLE Premium. I bought a charger just in case, but the plan is to call the tow truck and have it delivered to the dealership (unless I am having an emergency that I have to use the car). If I get to the point that I am still having an issue after the next step, I'll be visiting with the dealship to replace the car. That's unfortunate, since I really like the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Today I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against Toyota Motors Northern California. The least Toyota can do is acknowledge the issue and look into it.
Also, you can like many other people with this issue on cargurus.com. It’s amazing that Toyota still won’t acknowledge an issue after so many people have reported it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dealer had my car for a little more than a day. The service manager called and said they have seen this issue with a few 2020's over the past week or so. He said the communication module is only supposed to only have a tiny draw on the battery but they've seen it spiking lately, which can drain the battery. They did a firmware update on my RAV4 and sent it home (still same battery). Toyota corporate also called me back to say they updated the case and think this will solve the problem.
I'll certainly report back here if it dies again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My new 2020 RAV4 Hybrid with 2,300 miles has had the "Smart Key System Malfunction" warning once so far ... it would not start ... a jump start for the 12v battery helped the car start and it has been starting just fine for the past few days ... the Toyota Service department had the car for a day and found no error codes and could not replicate the problem and the 12v battery was at full charge and tested fine so they told me to call back if it ever happens again. I called Toyota Corporate at 1-800-331-4331... they started a case and will call me back. I appreciate others sharing what they're learning as this evolves, and I'll do likewise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 3189 miles on my 2020 RAv4 Hybrid SXE. It sat overnight and this exact thing happened this morning. Nothing was left on. I'm waiting for roadside assistance to come by and give me jump. I no longer have my jumper cables.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good luck. I would make sure it gets reported/documented by the dealer. Seems like Toyota isn’t doing anything to resolve this issue.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts