Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is too weird. My 2013 RAV4 suddenly will not allow me to lock the doors by touching the handle. It sounds the alarm for 5 seconds, which normally would indicate either a door is open or a smart key is inside the vehicle. I have verified there is not a door open (I opened and closed every door, including the hatch) and unless my wife is playing a trick on me (which I doubt) there is no smart key inside the vehicle. I had to use the mechanical key to lock the doors. It unlocks at the touch of the door handle just fine, and the engine starts right up, no problem.

I locked my car this way yesterday morning. I unlocked it after work and drove it home. I drove it to work this morning and suddenly I cannot lock the car by touching the handle. According to the manual, doors open or smart key inside the car are the only two reasons for this behavior.

Is this a symptom of the battery going dead in the smart key? I have never changed it. It's easily 3 years old.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Okay this is too weird. My 2013 RAV4 suddenly will not allow me to lock the doors by touching the handle. It sounds the alarm for 5 seconds, which normally would indicate either a door is open or a smart key is inside the vehicle. I have verified there is not a door open (I opened and closed every door, including the hatch) and unless my wife is playing a trick on me (which I doubt) there is no smart key inside the vehicle. I had to use the mechanical key to lock the doors. It unlocks at the touch of the door handle just fine, and the engine starts right up, no problem.

I locked my car this way yesterday morning. I unlocked it after work and drove it home. I drove it to work this morning and suddenly I cannot lock the car by touching the handle. According to the manual, doors open or smart key inside the car are the only two reasons for this behavior.

Is this a symptom of the battery going dead in the smart key? I have never changed it. It's easily 3 years old.

May I suggest you checking all the fuses?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Two reasons for the vehicle not to lock and sound the alert.
1) A key is inside the vehicle
2) A door or tailgate is not fully closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two reasons for the vehicle not to lock and sound the alert.
1) A key is inside the vehicle
2) A door or tailgate is not fully closed
Another possibility:
The car was not shut-off completely.

It happened to me once: I pulled into a parking spot, put gear in park, pressed the power button to turn off the car, got out, tried to lock the car by touching the door handle - the car kept beeping but not locking.

Turned out that when I "pressed the power button", I accidentally, pressed it twice (or did not press it firmly enough). This caused the gas engine to turn off but the battery was still engaged ie the dash-board was still lit.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have verified there is not a door open (I opened and closed every door, including the hatch) and unless my wife is playing a trick on me (which I doubt) there is no smart key inside the vehicle........Is this a symptom of the battery going dead in the smart key? I have never changed it. It's easily 3 years old.
Your doors may all be closed, but a defective door switch could trick the computer into thinking a door is still opened. Have a look at the door-ajar light on the dashboard to verify the computer sees all the doors closed.

I don't know if you wife is playing a trick or not, but take a couple of minutes and verify that the location of her key is not inside the RAV.

If you think a weak battery may be the problem, then try locking the door with the 2nd key in your possession. I don't have a RAV4 to test with, but my experience is that attempting to lock the door without the smart key in my pocket results in nothing (i.e. no sounds at all, and doors do not lock).

Do the doors lock if you use the buttons on the key fob?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well apparently there was a door ajar, or at least the computer thought so. The dashboard light was lit, so I once again opened the tailgate and made sure there was nothing interfering with the latch. It looked the same as it did earlier, but I rubbed my fingers around the mechanism to be sure. Closed the hatch and the dashboard light went out and the door locks normally again.

I have a feeling a sensor may be failing, but we shall see. Regardless, problem solved (for now).

Thanks for all your input folks!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The open door is detected by a simple push button switch which is covered with a flexible rubber boot for water protection.

If the internal part of the switch is dirty or corroded it may not work correctly. These switches are easily removed for cleaning or replacement.

Some models have a rubber bumper on the edge of the door which is required to push the button in far enough. Sometimes the rubber bumper gets knocked off. As I said, I don't have a Rav4 to actually verify if it is equipped with the bumper.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I can understand the car not locking because a key is present. But to keep the rest of the car from locking because 1 door is ajar is stupid from Toyota. Just let it function and lock all doors with something like a triple beep. :frown

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I can understand the car not locking because a key is present. But to keep the rest of the car from locking because 1 door is ajar is stupid from Toyota. Just let it function and lock all doors with something like a triple beep. :frown
The intent is to warn the driver that his vehicle is not properly secured, as he might think it is after pushing the lock button. If you have one door insecure, you might as well leave all the doors insecure.

Personally I think this is the best option for such a situation.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The intent is to warn the driver that his vehicle is not properly secured, as he might think it is after pushing the lock button. If you have one door insecure, you might as well leave all the doors insecure.

Personally I think this is the best option for such a situation.
Disagree. A triple beep (or other warning) does the same thing, warns you yet allows the car to function in the event of a door sensor failure (which will eventually happen to many). AND....A partially closed door can still be locked to prevent access.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my door ajar light came on again this morning and no amount of fiddling with it would cure it. I took it to the dealer and the best they could come up with was that it must be a faulty switch. Price to replace the entire latch is $504, plus $200 labor. I'm not very happy. I'm going to give it a little time and see if it corrects itself before I have them order the part.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well my door ajar light came on again this morning and no amount of fiddling with it would cure it. I took it to the dealer and the best they could come up with was that it must be a faulty switch. Price to replace the entire latch is $504, plus $200 labor. I'm not very happy. I'm going to give it a little time and see if it corrects itself before I have them order the part.
:nerd:nerd

$704 to replace a defective door switch?? That is ridiculous! Is this the rear cargo door and is yours powered or non powered?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the rear door hatch on a 2013 RAV4. They said they have to replace the entire latch assembly. It is powered.

Also, since they looked at it today it now tries three times to get the final lock on the hatch (the last little snug after it closes) and while it feels and looks like it is closed, it's obviously not functioning correctly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is the rear door hatch on a 2013 RAV4. They said they have to replace the entire latch assembly. It is powered.

Also, since they looked at it today it now tries three times to get the final lock on the hatch (the last little snug after it closes) and while it feels and looks like it is closed, it's obviously not functioning correctly.
Sorry to hear that, not good! So you have a 2013 that just went off the 3yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty it sounds like? Tough break for sure. :serious

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there - this exact thing just started happening for me yesterday. The smart lock does a long 5 second beep and doesn't work when I put my hand over the door handle, but the car WILL lock when I press the "lock" button on the key fob. The car is in Park, and I have checked all doors and tailgate, and there are no dashboard lights on.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, in my case there was a door ajar light on as it turned out. After having the door latch assembly replaced, it continued to act up periodically for a coule weeks then went back to working fine. I'm not at all sold that they actually fixed anything, in fact they made the door latch problem worse during the diagnosing process, but I digress.

If you truly have no door ajar lamp lit, the only other thing I am aware of that could cause such a situationis another key someplace inside the vehicle. That is exactly what happens when my wife leaves her purse in the car.

Also, I had to actually use the hidden physical key to lock the door, my key fob button did not work either.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, in my case there was a door ajar light on as it turned out. After having the door latch assembly replaced, it continued to act up periodically for a coule weeks then went back to working fine. I'm not at all sold that they actually fixed anything, in fact they made the door latch problem worse during the diagnosing process, but I digress.

If you truly have no door ajar lamp lit, the only other thing I am aware of that could cause such a situationis another key someplace inside the vehicle. That is exactly what happens when my wife leaves her purse in the car.

Also, I had to actually use the hidden physical key to lock the door, my key fob button did not work either.
So your car is nearly 4 years old, have you replaced the fob battery yet? Wondering if a weak battery and signal could be playing into this somehow? Outside the car, this issue would make more sense to show up than inside the car issues.

·
Registered
428 Posts
yes, I believe I did change the battery once a year or so ago...
After re-reading your initial post, you might just want to change it for cheap and easy elimination of that variable to your occasional problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts