Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
UPDATE to my above post #40

Bought the techstream from; Seller : camprofessor on ebay
installed it on the bought laptop with Windows XP 32 bit. used the supplied CD since it was latest version. Just need to disable the anti-virus every time the techstream is used and for original install. Simple install and had no problem.:smile

Bought from Carkeywholesale.com
a Smart Key Shell 3+1 Button for Toyota $11.99
a Toyota smart card board 4 key 314.3 MHZ number for $99
all above with no fee for shipping.

The shell is great, a silver DENSO with uncut key. Black is my original's color.

Couldn't get the new key to install with techstream,:surprise Emailed the vendor and was told the circuit board needs to be flashed before using techstream.. No locksmith in area can do it. To send back they want a tracking number and looks like cheapest way will cost $27.00. Guess I have to pay it.:frown
Should have bought from a Toyota dealer. Found the cheapest to be $120 plus $10 shipping. Think I'll order and post my results and dealer name if I am successful.:D

Used the techstream to diagnosis and fix a TPMS problem I had. (did a post on it).

Got a locksmith in area that can do it all for $250 plus 8.75% tax. He told me he uses Toyota equipment , due to Toyota complex nature. I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great thread, I've ordered a new smartkey with all the correct part no.'s and pcb number. Question - I ordered this cable and now I'm not sure it will allow the smart key reset function to happen -

Code:
http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/mangoose-toyota-diagnostics-and-reprogramming-interface-492.html
Please take a look and see if it will allow me to wipe all keys then add a used key with my 2 originals for a total of 3 keys. Take a look at the "Reviews" tab and see the answer to my question - "Can this device erase all ecm module smart keys information so new smart keys can be programmed?" They say it won't work!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Great thread, I've ordered a new smartkey with all the correct part no.'s and pcb number. Question - I ordered this cable and now I'm not sure it will allow the smart key reset function to happen -

Code:
http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/mangoose-toyota-diagnostics-and-reprogramming-interface-492.html
Please take a look and see if it will allow me to wipe all keys then add a used key with my 2 originals for a total of 3 keys. Take a look at the "Reviews" tab and see the answer to my question - "Can this device erase all ecm module smart keys information so new smart keys can be programmed?" They say it won't work!
Check out this video for adding a new key and used key. Just looked at it today and added a new key to my vehicle and it was fast and flawless.
The procedure is a little different for adding a used key and the gent will give it in the video.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, looking now. I sure wish the seedcode/passcode calculator was available as standalone on my PC. I'm truly amazed it isn't. Well for over $150 it is. Autokent on mhhauto sells it for that but I'm just using it once and the other alternative of going to weboctopus.nl and have it fail in real time is scary.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Update to post 41.

Bought the key FOB with correct circuit board at toyotaonlineparts.com. There are in Richmond , VA. Cost $120.81 plus $9.77 shipping bu USPS. Ordered on 4-11-16 and came today 4-14-16 to New York. FOB came with a battery installed. :smile

The uncut key doesn't come with the FOB and is extra. I have one , so no big deal for me.:wink Just have to find a locksmith to cut the key.

The install with techstream after watching the video in the above post was fast and flawless.

Pay Pal had a program where they paid me the $27 return shipping in post 41 and I got $99 return for the vendor for the circuit board. :smile

Toyota calls the FOB/circuit board a
TRANSMITTER.

The uncut key a KEY MASTER.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just took a look at that key at toyotaonlineparts.com. It says nothing about the pcb number or the AEM number I have on mine. Looks like there are only 2 key options, depends if it's the limited or non-limited version. My pcb has 6601 as the last 4 digits so I guess the remote you ordered also has. Can you confirm that for me please by taking a look inside.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Just took a look at that key at toyotaonlineparts.com. It says nothing about the pcb number or the AEM number I have on mine. Looks like there are only 2 key options, depends if it's the limited or non-limited version. My pcb has 6601 as the last 4 digits so I guess the remote you ordered also has. Can you confirm that for me please by taking a look inside.
My circuit board has 3370 as the last four digits. It's for a 2011 Camry XLE with V6.
NOTE: my uncut key came with the shell I bought in post #41 for $11.99. The shell is great a DENSO that I don't need , I will use the key. The circuit board was the problem at that site and returned and at a large expense.

Here's the uncut key I'm talking about and it has a vehicle application if you scroll down.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-TOYOTA-KEY-FOB-BLANK-KEY-ONLY-FITS-12-MODELS-69515-52120-/121494373566

NOTE: I had a gent at another online dealer give me a price , I gave him my vehicle VIN.. The part number he gave me when I went thru google I saw it was the wrong key. A key with circuit board in the head not a smart key fob. Brought it to his attention an he told me that funny but that's what popped up with my VIN as the first choice. He then gave me the right FOB and uncut key Toyota numbers. His name is Roman and works for Cool Springs Toyota a vendor on Toyotanation.com website and tell him your a member on the site for a better price.
I ordered elsewhere for a better price.

I'm glad I'm done since this whole process was complicated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the info. My smart key I ordered a few days ago has arrived at my US address. Have to wait for my stepdaughter to pick it up. I know it has all the proper numbers of my current one because the seller on ebay posted every single number on the unit. I can get it programmed locally from our top locksmith outfit for $45. They use the MVP programmer. I wanted to do it myself but after reading about the cable I ordered may not work (as I posted above), and the fact I need a passcode when wiping all keys before restoring new ones, I am scared I might brick my car, so I think I will pay the $45 for peace of mind, but I'm a tech myself, so I really want to do it........hmmm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I followed this instruction and duplicated my main key to a used key successfully. Saved $300 by DYI instead of going to Toyota dealer.

I bought 5 tokens from weboctopus.nl for 25 EUR but only used one. If anyone need one, just send a PM to me so we can share.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can you have 3 smart keys on a vehicle?

Neither the parts department or the service writer at my dealership could answer that question. One said there could be 5, than the other said that was just for the regular key. We have a house full of drivers on our '16 Rav4 and it would be handy to have a third key. I realize there are only two seat memory positions but I'm hoping three keys are possible. Anyone know?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm still trying to find the correct cable that will allow flashing the ecu from what I am reading. The clones supposedly don't allow this but the first post in this thread seems to use a clone. Looks like most clones work from more reading.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Neither the parts department or the service writer at my dealership could answer that question. One said there could be 5, than the other said that was just for the regular key. We have a house full of drivers on our '16 Rav4 and it would be handy to have a third key. I realize there are only two seat memory positions but I'm hoping three keys are possible. Anyone know?
It's 5 smart keys that are allowed. Did my new key a week ago. Look at the video on post #43.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Tried to get my spare blade key for the Smart Key FOB cut but it's expensive.

Told all the below that I have a master and uncut Toyota blank.

Called a mobile place near me and they want $40.:surprise
Another called locksmith and he wants $29.:frown
Stopped at a Toyota parts dept and they told me the key would have to be ordered.:crying

Not worth it to me for a key that I will probably never use. Wouldn't mind paying about $10.:wink

This plus the fact that Toyota charges about $23 for the key. I wonder if it comes blank or cut for the vehicle? I got my Denso shell with blank blade key from China not the dealer.

Key type as follows in link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-TOYOTA-K...-/121494373566

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
OK found a place that when you send the key code they will send a cut key for $22. The key code is on your driver side key cyl and the video shows you how to get it. Scroll down for info and video.
New Toyota Lexus Smart Emergency Insert Blade Cut Laser Blank Key Code Cutting | eBay
NOTE: found the video to not appear with FF browser but does work in Chrome browser.

Got all the info on this link BUT you;ll have to register to see the important stuff.
New Smart Key Programmed on a 2013 Plugin Prius for $115.00 | PriusChat
"
You loosen the T30 screw under the quarter sized black plastic cover then pull the cylinder out. The screw has keepers so it will not fall inside the door. The lock cylinder is pulled out from outside of the car. It would near impossible to drop anything inside the door. To put it back just insert the cylinder and tighten the screw. Easy peasy."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just had my local locksmith cut 2 Lexus blanks for my RAV4. These are keys with a full head on them which I want to use to open the doors. Cost was $60CA for 2 keys. I have 2 more as spares, might get them cut as well.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'm still trying to find the correct cable that will allow flashing the ecu from what I am reading. The clones supposedly don't allow this but the first post in this thread seems to use a clone. Looks like most clones work from more reading.
I haven't been back in a long time and noticed this post since I was reading the last page, just thought I'd drop a quick line.

Yes, the clone mVCI cable will work (as you mentioned, I'm 99.9% I had a knock-off and not the real deal). The reason why sellers are likely contradicting that fact is that they don't want to be liable for people who they themselves aren't confident about what they can or cannot do with the cable (I ran into this with other cables for a Honda/Acura).

My advice would be to get one that is paired with Techstream as that is the program you must use (search eBay for Techstream mVCI and sort by price+shipping... I see one for C$24+free shipping). There was a link I saw earlier that was for some Mongoose cable that was paired with some other software and the seller was saying it couldn't be used to erase the ECU. It could be a true statement since it wasn't paired with the Techstream software (and included something else). I'm sure there are other software that can erase the ECU, but Techstream is the official Toyota one so that is what I would recommend.

If you get the cable+techstream, you should be on the right path. Hope that helps. I'll try to come back and catchup at some point, it's just hard lately due to life.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
25 Participants
Lovaduck
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing