Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
thank you! couldn't find the exact wording.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi folks, I'm new here and just purchased a used 2008 RAV4 Limited. The vehicle only came with one valet key, and I'd like to get a few additional keys and at least one remote. I understand that I can't create master keys with the valet that I have - do I have any options other than paying through the nose at a dealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi folks, I'm new here and just purchased a used 2008 RAV4 Limited. The vehicle only came with one valet key, and I'd like to get a few additional keys and at least one remote. I understand that I can't create master keys with the valet that I have - do I have any options other than paying through the nose at a dealership?

Thanks!
Are you sure you have a valet key?

There is a way to really tell if a key is a master key or secondary key:
1. Locate / identify the "Security" light - it should be blinking all the time when no key is in the ignition.
2. Watch the Security light as you insert a key into the ignition. One of 3 things will happen:
a) light continues blinking - unrecognized key
b) light stays on 1-3 seconds before going off = valet key
c) light goes off immediately or does not blink again = master key

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you sure you have a valet key?

There is a way to really tell if a key is a master key or secondary key:
1. Locate / identify the "Security" light - it should be blinking all the time when no key is in the ignition.
2. Watch the Security light as you insert a key into the ignition. One of 3 things will happen:
a) light continues blinking - unrecognized key
b) light stays on 1-3 seconds before going off = valet key
c) light goes off immediately or does not blink again = master key
Well, now that you mention it, maybe not. When I insert the key and turn to ACC, the light goes off completely. Thank you for the information!

Also, my apologies - I thought I was posting to the "Adding an extra key using Techstream!" thread - that'll learn me to have too many tabs open on a smartphone. Thanks for humoring me and not giving me the "you posted in the wrong place" lecture.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello forumers!

I wanted to see if anybody has information on what FCC id can be found on a 2006 Rav4 Limited 3.5L V6 (VIN JTMBK31V165007162)
I purchased two remotes with FCC id HYQ12BBY as this seems to be the one associated with my car model, but they don't work, couldn't get the to be recognized with TS soft.

The FCC id label has been erased by wear and tear on the original keys, so I am out of luck there. Inside the remote control I found some information:

Chip labeled 151811-2891 609EY
Printed board labeled 251451-1491

Can anybody make something out of this data? I discussed with the after market remote control supplier, and they couldn't help.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hello forumers!

I wanted to see if anybody has information on what FCC id can be found on a 2006 Rav4 Limited 3.5L V6 (VIN JTMBK31V165007162)
I purchased two remotes with FCC id HYQ12BBY as this seems to be the one associated with my car model, but they don't work, couldn't get the to be recognized with TS soft.

The FCC id label has been erased by wear and tear on the original keys, so I am out of luck there. Inside the remote control I found some information:

Chip labeled 151811-2891 609EY
Printed board labeled 251451-1491
Can anybody make something out of this data? I discussed with the after market remote control supplier, and they couldn't help.

Thanks in advance!
Does your original key have a DOT or a G STAMPED on Key blade ? You have to make sure you get the same type.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for asking. It has a dot, and as far as I know, that only relates to the immobilizer transponder chip. What I am having trouble with is the wireless remote used to open or close the door. The keys I have work just fine to start the car (at least something works!).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thanks for asking. It has a dot, and as far as I know, that only relates to the immobilizer transponder chip. What I am having trouble with is the wireless remote used to open or close the door. The keys I have work just fine to start the car (at least something works!).

Ok , I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Try this video and see if it works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks again! I will give this a try. I was aware of this procedure, but since I have the Toyota TechStream software I have tried using the functions there. There are two modes, one allows you to check if a remote is adequate and another allows to program a new remote. Neither one works. The detection works just fine with the old remote so I believe this one was used properly. The car will produce a sound when you press a button on a remote which is of the appropriate band (regardless of it being programmed).

I will report back after trying this process, it may work where TS failed.

Ok , I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Try this video and see if it works.

Toyota Rav 4 Replacement Remote Programming 2001 2010 - YouTube

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worked with 2014 RAV4 EV

Wanted to report here that this worked perfectly!

I recently bought a 2014 RAV4 EV, and it came with only one key.

I bought a used remote on ebay, (same FCC ID, reportedly from a Highlander), and a cheap VCI cable. After performing the reset procedure, it and the existing remote both registered fine, and now we have two working keys.

I have a Mac, so I ran the software with a VirtualBox install of Windows XP. I also bought a key blank, and I’ll try to get a locksmith to cut a copy of the physical key part of the original remote - that’s a task for this weekend.

Total cost, about $115, plus whatever the physical key cutting costs.

[edit: I forgot: plus €25 for the SEED code]

The only glitch was that, the first time I tried, the used remote didn’t register - turned out the battery had been removed.

Thanks -Unknown- for a great summary!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wanted to report here that this worked perfectly!

I recently bought a 2014 RAV4 EV, and it came with only one key.

I bought a used remote on ebay, (same FCC ID, reportedly from a Highlander), and a cheap VCI cable. After performing the reset procedure, it and the existing remote both registered fine, and now we have two working keys.

I have a Mac, so I ran the software with a VirtualBox install of Windows XP. I also bought a key blank, and I’ll try to get a locksmith to cut a copy of the physical key part of the original remote - that’s a task for this weekend.

Total cost, about $115, plus whatever the physical key cutting costs.

[edit: I forgot: plus €25 for the SEED code]

The only glitch was that, the first time I tried, the used remote didn’t register - turned out the battery had been removed.

Thanks -Unknown- for a great summary!
Did you original Smartkey have the
FCC ID: HYQ14FBA

281451-0020 G Board? Someone said the Lexus also uses that board. Also does the rear hatch button work ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Somebody sent me a PM asking if I had any luck resolving this issue. It has been a while since I posted my comments but I only had this solved last month. I had purchased standalone (without an attached key) remotes with the same FCC ID (Hyq12bby) but meant for a Camry. I could not program those with Techstream. I said I was going to try with the door open-close process but I didn't just carried on using the door lock by hand.

Then I ordered a full replacement key with the remote, immobilizer chip and had it cut. Programmed the immobilizer chip with Techstream, no problem at all. Then I used the door open-close process to program the remote buttons. That worked. After this success I decided to try with the standalone remote openers I had, using the same manual process, but no luck. So I believe those were faulty.

In any case it pays to try using the manual programming. I used a video meant for the whole process of programming immobilizer with techstream and remote by hand. https://youtu.be/4F3Xu_GdbqU the part about the remote starts at 3:50 mins. I played the video in my phone while doing the process, that made it very easy not to be confused with the steps.

So good luck with it!

Thanks again! I will give this a try. I was aware of this procedure, but since I have the Toyota TechStream software I have tried using the functions there. There are two modes, one allows you to check if a remote is adequate and another allows to program a new remote. Neither one works. The detection works just fine with the old remote so I believe this one was used properly. The car will produce a sound when you press a button on a remote which is of the appropriate band (regardless of it being programmed).

I will report back after trying this process, it may work where TS failed.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
25 Participants
Lovaduck
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing