Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
No problem, just nervous about only having one working key. I'd like a duplicate. So at the moment, I'd need the programmable chip at a minimum, as I do have a key blank as well as my original key (minus the chip and broken housing which I transferred to my current key).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello, I have the exact same year make and model as you do. I've been following this whole thread trying to see what my options are. I have the Techstream software and one working key. Its a replacement, I took the guts out of my old key which was falling apart and just reinserted into a shell I ordered from ebay. Can you send a link to the programmable key blank you used? Thanks!
I found it on e-bay or Amazon, don't have a link, sorry! But search using the FCC Id for the key, and the model/year information and you will find it easily. In any case with the shell and the guts from the old key you have, you may not need to program anything, unless you want an extra key? Oh wait, maybe you mean the key you have is already a franken-key.... :ROFLMAO: In that case, sure look on Amazon and e-bay for replacements, make sure you order from North America or better the USA to get it quickly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No problem, just nervous about only having one working key. I'd like a duplicate. So at the moment, I'd need the programmable chip at a minimum, as I do have a key blank as well as my original key (minus the chip and broken housing which I transferred to my current key).
OK, this clarifies things. Sure, get the key as I suggested and you can program it using the video I linked, that was 100% on the spot!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I do have a franken-key but I also have the original metal part of the key in a drawer (it has a dot on it). Would I be using the exact same numbers as you first listed (FCC id HYQ12BBY, etc.) to order a replacement blank with chip, since we have the exact same year make and model?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yes, I do have a franken-key but I also have the original metal part of the key in a drawer (it has a dot on it). Would I be using the exact same numbers as you first listed (FCC id HYQ12BBY, etc.) to order a replacement blank with chip, since we have the exact same year make and model?
You need to provide more info to get the best help.
List your mode, year , smart key or keyfob . Does the key have a DOT or G stamped on it. Also was it made in Canada or JAPAN.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I researched a lot on this before I got my key, and that is the only one that works on a 2006 RAV4 Limited. It has transponder chip 4D-67, and HYQ12BBY remote.... I cannot put a 100% confidence that your car has the same but being the same model/year, it is pretty solid. I looked on Amazon this one looks correct, also the filter by car model/year indicates it is the correct for ours. Read the comments as well, YMMV....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I bought from this ebay seller before. Just contact him with you information to confirm it will fit your rav4

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thans guys, this is very helpful. I will likely just take a $20 leap of faith and order from the link that Lovaduck provided, as well as one from the seller provided by 2011. I've contacted him to see if it will work.

My RAV4 is a 2006 Limited with a 3.5 V6. My key is the style of the pics in the links, and the original has a dot on the shaft. I am not sure if it was made in Canada or Japan, but this car was bought form a dealer in Virginia, originally.

I'll order one or both keys, and do my best to program them and report back.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
This post by DL175 might help you

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thans guys, this is very helpful. I will likely just take a $20 leap of faith and order from the link that Lovaduck provided, as well as one from the seller provided by 2011. I've contacted him to see if it will work.
I can confirm that the link I provided is the same than the one I bought for myself and worked in my car. Looked up the initial order and this is it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Why do you need a seed code if you have an unlocked or virgin key?

My understating was you only needed a seed code if you were programming a used key.

Has that changed?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I am new to the Toyota world, and coming from Ford, it's strange. On Ford cars, if you have two smart keys, you can add the third one without any programmer. Just turn on/off the first two keys and then the newly cut key and that adds it. If you lose the second key, then it's a dealer thing.
FOBs can be added as easy, with a valid key (turn on/off 8 times in 30 sec).
That's why on all my Ford's I made the third key, to be able to make my own key in case I lose one.

So I get that Toyota key adding is done with the software, but you don't need a password if you have two?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
No password needed. the rav4 can store up to 4 or 5 keys.

You just need this and a key you can get from ebay

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you have a keyfob you need to know if the keyblade has a DOT or G stamped on it,
I don't see any stamping on the blade that's inside the FOB. Serial on PCB is 271451-6601. Weirdly the date is 2/12 and 3/12 on those PCB's. On a car sold in Feb 2011?

101 - 120 of 139 Posts