Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to explore OBD-II smart phone apps. It is clear so-far that they require various OBD port transmitters, which is confusing. Some want Blue tooth, others WiFi (how can that work?), and other proprietary protocols.

I would be happy to report my progress, hoping that smarter people than me will also contribute. June Bug is an IT guru. Help?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
To help you more info is required.

You did not give info on what type of phone you have. { Android, Apple, etc }

What do you want the app to do ? {Read trouble codes, voltage, etc }

Are you willing to pay for the app ?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have several OBDII scanners, and don't like the one that interfaces with my Iphone 6s. There is so much information and the screen is so small,it is difficult for me to see it.

One of the smartphone scanners I have is the EasyDiag from Launch.

Launch EasyDiag for IOS Bluetooth OBDII Generic Code Reader Best Price/Android

I have only used it twice. pm me if you would like to buy mine.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You did not give info on what type of phone you have. { Android, Apple, etc }

What do you want the app to do ? {Read trouble codes, voltage, etc }

Are you willing to pay for the app ?
Apple iPhone, however I notice that some, perhaps most work on both Android and iOS. The functionality I wish for is the same as Techstream, plus the compact dynamic display (including HUD) possible on compact devices, phones. I am willing to pay.

What I have found, briefly, are products that tease but do not deliver, such as one which posits Techstream like abilities to change car features. Perhaps it is in their future. Another's response over Bluetooth for dynamic display is too slow. Another does not work at all. When I find time I will give more detail. Time is an issue for me right now.

(Aside - I might get some help from our local tech wizard who has the hobby of wringing amazing horsepower through his own live reader. He installed it in his dash with some short-cut buttons for modifications on the move. Oh, his hobby include blowing up engines during test runs. :) He is well funded.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
As far as I am known with OBD2 equipment I found that the original ELM 327 models are often used.
Be aware that there are a lot of Chines ELM 327 copy's for sale which look the same but are not at all.
Next to this you should double check if the OBD2 scanner is compatible with the brand adn type of your car.

Then you have OBD2 scanners with BT connection, they only work with Android smartphones.
Apple does not give any OBD2 scanner App the posibility to use the iOS BT protocol.
In that case you need to have a OBD2 scanner with WiFi connection for iPhone or iPad App's.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then you have OBD2 scanners with BT connection, they only work with Android smartphones.
Not true now.

I have iOS 9.3.1 One app I tried, Engine Link, works with Bluetooth. The RAV4 saw my iPhone right away, and the app fired right up.

In that case you need to have a OBD2 scanner with WiFi connection for iPhone or iPad App's.
I am already looking at OBD2 WiFi connectors. Engine Link accepts WiFi as well as Bluetooth. I'm trying DashCommand with a new adapter next. First I have to find the absolutely correct adapter.

EDIT: The Bluetooth OBD2 adapter is LELink OBD-II
www.outdoor-apps.com

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am bumping this up because I use a Mac. No Windows machines in the house for odd reasons.

Today I got a USB ODBII cable and a Mac software called EOBD-Facile V1.5. It looks like they are serious. No ability at this time to change parameters, but I think it is coming. Mac (OS X) software takes a bit longer to get into the mainstream of anything other than games. (That's my editorial. :))

I hope this this thread is kept alive for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Cool I didn't know some ios friendly bluetooth adapters had come out. I have an old Nexus 7 that I use with Torque on a cd player mount. But it's problematic with its battery always dying and being a general pain. Would much rather just run on my iPhone. I ordered that LELink one to give it a shot. Which means I'll now own 3 of the things heh. A generic ELM 327, an OBDLink LX, and now this.

Rarely use it in the RAV, mostly in my other car as a boost gauge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OBD11 software for Mac

I am bumping this up because I use a Mac. No Windows machines in the house for odd reasons.

Today I got a USB ODBII cable and a Mac software called EOBD-Facile V1.5. It looks like they are serious. No ability at this time to change parameters, but I think it is coming. Mac (OS X) software takes a bit longer to get into the mainstream of anything other than games. (That's my editorial. :))

I hope this this thread is kept alive for the rest of us.
Another Mac household here…. although I do have an old Windows box to mess with and I'll probably pick up a cheap pc laptop to run TechStream.

I was checking out software for the Mac as well and found this one of which I downloaded and tried the demo version…
https://www.yhasi.com/index.php

They sell basic and commercial versions

Cheers!
Rob

Reactions: pico
1 - 9 of 9 Posts