Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just bought a 2001 RAV4 and when I looked @ the car it had just come onto the lot, and was not cleaned yet. There was like spilled laundry soap, which then got wet, in the cargo area, but under the front space that flips up....this area is still wet, and so is the cardboard like material where it flips open, and smells terrible (ammonia urine like smell) which is permeating through the whole car. Does anyone have any suggestions for take this stuff out and drying/deoderizing it. Dealer can't get me in for 3 weeks....and would most likly charge me!

thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fijifruits said:
was like spilled laundry soap, which got wet, smells terrible (ammonia urine like smell)
Are you sure that wasn't cat litter? And, ammonia urine smell sure sounds like cat piss. That is about one of the hardest smells to get rid of.

Take out the cardboard and carpet! Soak it in a pet stain and odor removal product. You can get the really effective STRONG stuff at a Veterinary clinic. They have to use it all the time on entrance carpets because the dogs are always marking over every other dog before them that was marking the carpet.... Good Luck!

You might want to just cut out a new piece of cardboard or plywood because the original cardboard will probably fall apart.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Like RAV4HER said:

Photo 1. Just pull the rear carpet out. Pop the snaps holding the board (replace if necessary)

Photo 2. Remove Rear storage box carpet. Pull from both sides, then put hands underneath and rip pad from 8 middle glue areas while also CAREFULLY pulling off the upper 8 glue areas. The bottom taped area (not removed in photo) needs a little more CAREFULL effort and force.

Then you can soak the carpets well. For my general, but detailed washing, it simply meant putting a sheet of plastic on the driveway and massaged by hand laundry detergent with hot water on the main carpet and rince well.

When dry just remember to put dabs of silicone where the glue was and press in place.

Cheers, Walt :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts