Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was driving in the forest to day, off road or maybe not in the true sense of the word cause I did follow a small forest trail but, any how. I went down a short slope to a dead end so I had to put in reverse and back up. The ground was soaked and slippery and I couldn’t get up the first time I tried so I went down again and put in the diff lock and tried to back up again but failed, so I went down a second time, rushed the engine some and charged backwards up to the bigger trail. A kind of heavy smoke puff emerged from underneath the car as well as a metallic scent like the one you get while cutting of a pipe of metal with your angle grinder. The car works fine as far as I can tell but it can’t be a good thing. What the … happened? Was it the combination of revers gear, charging and differential lock? Have I caused my car any sustaining damage?

I have a 2007 Rav4 diesel with manual transmission.

Regards /Pontus

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hi, I was driving in the forest to day, off road or maybe not in the true sense of the word cause I did follow a small forest trail but, any how. I went down a short slope to a dead end so I had to put in reverse and back up. The ground was soaked and slippery and I couldn’t get up the first time I tried so I went down again and put in the diff lock and tried to back up again but failed, so I went down a second time, rushed the engine some and charged backwards up to the bigger trail. A kind of heavy smoke puff emerged from underneath the car as well as a metallic scent like the one you get while cutting of a pipe of metal with your angle grinder. The car works fine as far as I can tell but it can’t be a good thing. What the … happened? Was it the combination of revers gear, charging and differential lock? Have I caused my car any sustaining damage?

I have a 2007 Rav4 diesel with manual transmission.

Regards /Pontus
Damaged the clutch perhaps? I'd certainly check all the final drive fluids.

·
Super Moderator
10,141 Posts
The smoke could just have been water or wet mud hitting the hot exhaust system. The smell could have been from getting the catalytic converter hotter than it's been in awhile. I've smelled it, kind of like turning on an electric heater you haven't used in a long time, when I ran cars in lower gears on the highway to heat up the system before an emission test.

Reactions: vanib
1 - 3 of 3 Posts