Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that after starting the car, white smoke comes out of the exhaust but only for about a minute (no smoke while driving just when car starts) However yesterday there was more smoke coming out and took a little longer for it to go away. I had a car before that started smoking and ended up overheating and getting coolant/water into the engine. I know this is not the case because the car runs perfectly and is not overheating but i want to know if that could happen if the smoking continues
Thanks any help will be apreciated

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
what is the temp out side of the RAV4? This is not to scare you but Black smoke is burning oil. Blue smoke is usually transmission fluid due to a leaking auto transmission. White smoke is due to water getting in to a cylinder from a bad gasket, cracked block or a cracked head. This is the worst case scenario. Or it might mean that your engine is working perfractly, but this is Fuel Injection :?

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Definitive version :wink:

EXHAUST SMOKE COLOR

One of the easiest methods to use when troubleshooting an engine for a performance complaint is to monitor the color of the smoke coming from the exhaust stack visually. There are four basic colors that may exit from the exhaust system at any time during engine operation—white, black, gray, or blue. The color of the smoke tips you off to just what and where the problem might lie.

White smoke is generally most noticeable at engine start-up, particularly during cold conditions. As the combustion and cylinder temperatures increase during the first few minutes of engine operation the white smoke should start to disappear which indicates the engine is sound. However, if the white smoke takes longer than 3 to 5 minutes to disappear a problem exist. The problems white smoke may indicate are as follows:

Low cylinder compression from worn rings
Scored piston or liner
Valve seating problems
Water leaking into the combustion chamber
Faulty injectors
Use of a low cetane diesel fuel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black or gray smoke generally is caused by the same conditions—the difference between the colors being one of opacity or denseness of smoke. Black or gray smoke should be checked with the engine at operating temperature of 160°F. Abnormal amounts of exhaust smoke emission is an indication that the engine is not operating correctly, resulting in a lack of power, as well as decreased fuel economy. Excessive black or gray exhaust smoke is caused by the following:

Improper grade of diesel fuel
Air starvation
High exhaust back pressure
Incorrect fuel injection timing
Faulty nozzles or injectors
Faulty automatic timing advance unit
Faulty injection pump Incorrect valve adjustment clearances
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue smoke is attributed to oil entering the combustion chamber and being burned or blown through the cylinder and burned in the exhaust manifold or turbocharger. Remember always check the simplest things first, such as too much oil in the crankcase or a plugged crankcase ventilation breather. The more serious problems that can cause blue smoke are as follows:

Worn valve guides
Worn piston rings
Worn cylinder walls
Scored pistons or cylinder walls
Broken rings
Turbocharger seal leakage
Glazed cylinder liner walls due to use of the wrong type of oil
SOURCE = http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/MechTech/Automotive01/default.asp?unNum=4&lesNum=10&modNum=1

·
Registered
13 Posts
How would I fix the following, so that I don't have the smoke come out anymore. This started about 6 months ago for me:
White smoke is generally most noticeable at engine start-up, particularly during cold conditions. As the combustion and cylinder temperatures increase during the first few minutes of engine operation the white smoke should start to disappear which indicates the engine is sound. However, if the white smoke takes longer than 3 to 5 minutes to disappear a problem exist. The problems white smoke may indicate are as follows:

Low cylinder compression from worn rings
Scored piston or liner
Valve seating problems
Water leaking into the combustion chamber
Faulty injectors

·
Registered
210 Posts
As mentioned earlier on cold start you will notice a white exhaust as the ambient air temperature gets cooler. This would simply be condensation with moisture dripping out of the exhaust and forming a puddle on the ground. The colder the air temperature the longer it lasts. This is normal.

If it has a blue / white color it may be oil burning. I experienced this on a previous vehicle when on cold start there was a puff of this blue / white smoke and it turned out to be a valve guide problem. This was also verified by removing the spark plugs to see if there was oil contamination. When you do this you will see the plug is wet and has a black sludge on the faulty cylinder (s).

If the cloud of white smoke is thick and has a "sweet" smell there is coolant leaking into the engine. This could be either the intake manifold or head gasket. If you're not sure what burning coolant smells like then drop a bit of antifreeze onto your hot exhaust manifold to familiarize yourself with the smell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am following up on some of my old posts (I can't believe it's really been 4 years). I actually had this issue fixed last year when I got my spark plugs replaced. I was told that some were covered in oil. Once this was fixed, it has never happened since. I was also told that I was leaking oil (which is how the spark plugs got covered), but I know that the reason was because when I was changing my own oil, I spilled a good amount in the spark plug area, but thought I was able to clean it up before it got to the spark plugs...I was wrong.

In any case, check your spark plugs before going into any extensive work.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That summing up of RAVman is worthwhile.
Good that you finally fixed the issue and haven't got that same problem again.
Greetz

Pim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I have it too.
We start the car arround 0 degres and little snow.
It tooks few ninutes to stop.
I think their is no probleme with that.
But for sure I found the rav doing it more than my miata.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Nico,
Do you mean zero degrees celcius or fahrenheit?
What does it also do? What kind of smoke color? Have you tried fixing it in some way and how?
Anything more important to know?
Greetz

Pim

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is really noticeable on the rav4...
Yesterday again, cold night I have some white smoke untile the engine is hot.
After it's just smooth without any smoke.
It is white smoke as it says on an up message

1 - 12 of 12 Posts