Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a '97 RAV4 and lately everytime I start it up there is a lot of grayish/white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. Does anyone know what could be casuing this? This only happens when I start the car. I'm hoping this isn't a big problem. Any help will be appreicated. Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Historically..........

White smoke=coolant
Blue smoke=oil
Black smoke=fuel

I may have the Black & Blue(Remember that concert tour back in the early 80's)swapped but I am certain about white=coolant

Our '97 with 154k on the clock will shoot a little blue smoke on start up but it clears up pretty quickly. Probably due to valve guide or valve seal wear. I'm not worried about that.

Are you noticing any coolant loss? Have you drained the oil lately, you may want to inspect your oil for coolant in it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had an oil change about 2 months ago. But haven't really noticed any coolant issues. What are the signs I should be looking for coolant problems? I'm not that mechanical :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would start with draining your oil. You don't even have to raise the vehicle to do that . If the oil is milky brown with the possibility of some tiny bubbles in there you may have some coolant in the oil. How is the level of your coolant. Keep an eye on that.

Have a friend of yours, neighbor ETC. .........anybody who is versed in vehicles take a look at the oil and or watch you start the truck after it has sat to watch for the color of the smoke.

White/coolant smoke usually is present as you drive the car as well as just on start-up. Have somebody drive behind you to see if you've got white smoke pouring out of your exhaust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts