Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've notice a small amount of blueish/white (I guess you would say) smoke on startup and it lasts for around 5-7 seconds, doesn't return until it sits for awhile (overnight or 5hrs).
I check the oil and it's not using any.
It is the true mileage on the Rav.
I bought the 99 Rav4 used w/37,8XX miles on it from a friend.
I have read some of the threads on this.
My question is: Could the valve guides be somewhat bad from not being driven to much?
Is this anything to worry about @ this point or any advise?

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you are not losing any oil or coolant and the Rav is running OK I would not worry, especially if the smoke is going away quickly. I have driven plenty of cars that smoked on start up (some of the older ones really would smoke until warmed up). It's probably just a bit of condensation. And, if you leave any car outside for a length of time (most notably after getting back from vacation) all sorts will be pumped out of the back on start up.

My funniest moment was with a Honda Accord. My sister-in-law could not start it after coming back from a 2 week holiday and flooded the engine. I kept turning the thing over and when it finally caught WHOOSH a streetfull of white / blue smoke. Lovely, but the car was fine.

I get loads of water dripping from my exhaust on the Rav when I start up (before the exhaust has a chance to heat up). As it's not coolant, just efficient combustion, I have no worries.

·
Registered
542 Posts
mine is the same. i think most rav4.1's smoke a bit at startup. popular theory says it's the valve seals leaking a bit & seems to be a common 3s-fe fault!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My '97 began blowing a small puff of smoke on a cold start at about 80,000 miles. It got a little worse as time went by, and by the time I'd reached 116,000 miles it was pretty pronounced. It never resulted in any excess oil consumption and it didn't seem to be fouling the plugs at all.

My '00, at 77,000 miles, hasn't started doing it yet, but I suppose it will as it seems to be a flaw in these engines. I wish there was a one-time fix for this problem, but I get the impression from talking to the folks at the dealership that it's a design flaw and will recur even if you have the old seals removed and new ones installed.

I don't much like it, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
been having the same puff just on the first startup of the day for as long as I can remember (now at 130,000 mi.). I never noticed low oil or anything and it's still running like a clock. Seems to be pretty common. Roll with it!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts