Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

One of these weekends I snaped my cv while 4wd. I could hear coming but I was a bit too far to come back and too excited to stop... lol It was clicking for ages and finally snaped. I already ordered both axles so will be changing soon.

Anyway my question is, for how long could I drive with my rear wheels without damaging anything else? I mean, I was lucky because when the cv snaped I was nearly on the road already, I drove back to the car park on my rear wheels, then a guy from the group I was towed me back home. How far could I gone with my center diff lock engaged?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts
Care to translate into English? Did you mean snapped your cv? If so what does that mean please? I am totally lost here........

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the word "my" got you lost. I dont have "cv joints", or "rear wheels" or "diff locks". When I said "my" I meant "my vehicle."

The constant velocity joint on my rav4 broke while I was driving (sorry, not sure if I should use "on" my rav, or maybe "of" my rav, or maybe "in" my rav... those small words in english are hard...)

Sorry If I wasn't clear, I'll ask google help next time ;).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Diff lock shouldnt be used for anything faster than 25mph (20 to be safe) If you stay under that speed i son't see why you couldnt run it that way for a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Diff lock shouldnt be used for anything faster than 25mph (20 to be safe) If you stay under that speed i son't see why you couldnt run it that way for a while.
Point of curiosity:
The reason we don't use diff lock at higher speeds or on tarmac is because the lack of slipping winds tension into the mechanism, causing it to break (possibly inaccurate paraphrasing).

If one front CV is snapped, it's not connected to the wheel so it should act as a place for any extra load on the front to dissipate, right?

In fact, I would think that 100% of the 50% of power being sent to the front wheels would go to uselessly spinning the broken CV shaft.

I'm not suggesting any of this is a good idea, just trying to think it through.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally I have some time to come back in here.

I replaced the cv's a few weeks ago, here are some pics. That's what was left when I pulled apart.
IMG_20190707_114836.jpg

The new housings are smooth, I might struggle to take them out if I ever have to.

IMG_20190707_115357.jpg

Also, this note came on the instructions. It mention a bracket to be used on a lifted vehicle. But I dont fully understand how would that work...

IMG_20190707_181940.jpg

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
Also, this note came on the instructions. It mention a bracket to be used on a lifted vehicle. But I dont fully understand how would that work...
The driveshaft from the front differential to the wheel is designed to best operate parallel to the ground. CV joints allow for a certain amount of tilt. However, when you extensively lift an IFS (independent front suspension) vehicle, the angle of the driveshaft is severe and compromises the joint's integrity when off roading.
This is why a "diff drop kit" is advised in order to lower the front differential so that the driveshaft comes closer to being parallel to the ground.
Diff drop kits are available for "serious off roaders", but I doubt if it's possible to retrofit one for the Rav.

https://happygotravel.com.au/4wd-diff-drop-why-you-need/

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mick is right; it is not possible to lower the front diff on a RAV4 (it's part of the transmission/t-case/engine assembly)... it could be done by addind spacers between the front subframe and body. So this instruction does not apply to RAV4's.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
Here is an illustrative video depicting how much different amounts of lift affect CV joint angles and the suspension geometry in general on IFS vehicles (00:39 to 02:12):

EDIT: And another one illustrating why CV joints snap and how diff drop kits help alleviate the problem (08:45):

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very interesting, thanks.

After I changed the axle all seems alright. I just have a small leak now.
I should have changed also the axle seal, which I didn't really thought about at the time.

Anyway, I took my rav for the warrant of fitness guy over here and the mechanic asked me to do something about this brake line. All we did was bend the bracket that holds the hose a little, to make sure it doesn't get too tight when in full lock. That was the only thing that had to be done after the lift.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts