Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a lot of snow and I've had to drive in it. Does anyone have suggestions for avoiding snow buildup between door bottoms and the car itself? I have to really push on the door to open it! Don't want to damage anything. Also there is a lot of snow building up around rear wheels in the wells. So far front wheels have been OK and I can still turn. It's been too cold to be able to knock it off.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Sounds like normal snow buildup to me. I've driven in very heavy snow many times (but not since I retired and became a snowbird!) and never had a problem where I couldn't drive in it. Snow won't buildup around spinning tires, front or rear, that would prevent you from driving. I used my foot to dislodge heavy snow buildup in the wheel wells if I noticed it.
When you do get a thaw, try and hose off as much of the undercarriage as you can reach to get rid of road salt. Some carwash places offer this service.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Snow consistency, temperature, the presence of slush or salt melting, icing, etc., varies so much that it's hard to predict or compare how it will stick or build up. A few years ago in the Rochester, NY area I had serious handling and driveability issues with my Subaru Outback. Such a bad storm that I had to stop twice that day to clear the front wheel wells from packed snow that was impacting suspension travel, wheel turning and wheel balance. It was just crazy! And yet other storms there's virtually no issues whatsoever.

What to do? Some people in tough climates have resorted to silicon spray treatments like I use on my snowblower and blades. Just make sure you've got a good wax coating to prevent any possible paint damage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I drive in a fair amount of snow and those issues never really came into play. The biggest issue I run across is snow on the bottom of the windshield. It gets a little warm, melts, then turns into solid ice. You basically have to chip it off and the wipers get constantly frozen.
I am not real fond of the doors either. Any snow sitting on the roof area and it covers your seat when you open the door.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can relate to the snow buildup at the lower doors and I found that once I installed running boards (which I am not a fan of) the problem improved immensely. As for the snow between tires, wheel wells and flaps all I can suggest is to remove it at least once a day if it's bad so that it doesn't freeze in there overnight.

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Broom stick to get some good chunks, when it’s above freezing use undercarriage attachment for pressure washer or take to car wash (brushless)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts