Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics I took today while I was driving up to my parents' place upstate to pick up my snow tires. I still have yet to put them on this season, although I usually put them on in early December. Snow started this morning and I took these pics around 4pm. We had a snow storm on Thursday that dropped about 4-5 inches on southern New Hampshire, but most of it melted on Friday. This storm began today around 8 am and dropped a few inches by afternoon. My Rav with the all-season tires on does OK on packed powder but gets a little skiddy on slushy snow, hence the need for snow tires. I was able to make it the whole way up going about 40 mph.

The first four pics are going west on US Route 4 towards Concord:

The next two are going north on I-93 from Concord.

It doesn't look like much but it still took a toll on my nerves even though I'm usually pretty fearless driving in snow. I can't wait to get the snow tires on tomorrow and go wheeling through some snow drifts. It's still coming down pretty hard even now at 8 pm and the roads are nonexistent. Time to take the Polaris for a spin....

:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Very nice!

I'm gonna miss out on hitting the drifts. Most of the places that were nice and wide open before have had stuff done to them (e.g. where I took those pics a year or two ago they've built a jogging path, and they've closed the top level of my parking ramp this winter). Also it's supposed to be in the 40s and raining within the next few days so everything here is gonna melt.

Becky

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm lucky because I have most of the UNH campus to myself so I can mess around in the parking lots. Even though my classes started last week, the rest of the university does not open for another week. I can go from one parking lot to another making sure to keep one step ahead of the university police....although I'm really not doing anything reckless anyway since no once else is around.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Nice pics... who is taking the pictures while you are driving ? :shock:

Also what kind of tires are on there now and what kind of snow tires are you installing ??

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice pics!

But, look at this picture taken at Val-d'Or, Québec last December 24.

Some inches have fallen since. :wink:

And yes, it's my house...
You can see the RAV under carport, at left.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was me taking the pictures while driving....hey at least I don't talk on my cell phone while driving....

My summer tires are Cooper Discoverer H/T in the stock 215/70/16 size, which are pretty good all-around peformers that offer good treadlife at a good price. They perfom decently in light snow, but don't do very will in the slushy or icy stuff. I think it mainly has to do with the fact that my Rav is so lightweight, because my dad has the same tires on his heavy GMC Yukon and they perform well in the snow. I think the Coopers are slightly better that the stock Toyos, and although they are not high-performance, they perform well for the way that I drive.

The winter tires I use are Cooper Discoverer M/S in the same stock 215 size, and offer slightly better performance in the snow than the summer tires. They are more noisy and feel mushy on the highway, but that happens with any snow tire. Just like the other Coopers they offer good performance at a good price and have a relatively long treadlife. I'm a big fan of snow tires, and have used them on previous cars also. I used to put them on my Volkswagen and that thing was unstoppable in the snow even with FWD.

The forward-driving traction of my Rav in the snow is excellent. even with the almost-bald Toyos that I had on before I got the snow tires in 2003. However, no matter what tires I have on, the Rav still likes to slide around a bit, especially when making turns or going around corners in the snow. The braking performance on snow is also scary at times, but I have gotten used to it and have learned to manage even though I don't have ABS. I carry a couple of sand bags in the back for extra weight and use my e-brake sometimes when I need it.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
I've never driven my car in snow, and I'm wondering do you guys have a 4WD? Mine is a 2WD. Is there any difference? :oops:
Miriam
This is my first winter with my 2 dr , manual and is all wheel drive.... I haven't experienced any snow yet.... (knock on wood :D )
There is a huge difference between a 2wd and all wheel drive vehicle.... just think, with a front wheel drive you only have the 2 front wheels pulling you forward and the rear following behind or being dragged.... on an all wheel drive you have all 4 working at the same time, so you will have less chances of getting stuck and better traction.... you really notice a difference in wet conditions, how normally a 2wd drive system your tires sometimes spin before they grip, in a all wheel drive you may notice the fronts spin if any and the rear will pick up the slack..... now if you had rear wheel drive that would be another story, rear wheel drive is harder to control in wet conditions since the rear will tend to fishtail... I hope I didn't say too much or confuse you... :D
Someone else may be able to explain it better or may be more technical about it...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's put it this way-

I had this big snow storm in New York the first week of December last year, snowed for 3 days, got about 18-20 inches. Still hadn't decided what snow tires to get, so I was driving around, in the snow, on the stock Toyos (which you all know and love) that were worn down to the minimum tread. Normally you would think with tires that bad I would have gotten stuck. Nope. Slid around a bit and couldn't stop very well, but didn't get stuck. It snowed for three days, and I drove my brother to work each day (his car was in the shop), once going down the highway in 3-4 inches of snow. No real problems whatsover. Actually I did get stuck once, sort of. I had left home for a few hours during the day, and came home to find a fresh 6 inches of snow on my steep driveway. Tried to get up the driveway, but I couldn't. So I walked up to the house, hopped on the tractor, and plowed the snow. Jumped back in the Rav and it made it up the driveway no problem. Keep in mind I did all this with almost-bald Toyo tires. If my car was 2WD and had the same tires, I probably wouldn't have made it halfway down the street.

The moral of the story- 4WD/AWD does better in the snow than 2WD. However, you can still do fine in the snow with a 2WD if you have good all-season tires, or even better, snow tires. One of my previous cars was a 99 VW New Beetle, and I put snow tires on it every winter. With the stock Goodyear Eagles on, the tires would start spinning as soon as the first flakes fell, and I couldn't get anywhere. But those were Goodyear Eagles which all-around suck. Once I put the snow tires on, the car was unstoppable for a car that only had 2WD and 3 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks for the tech info DJ Sueno, and for sharing your story Jeff. Although I'm not planning on going up the snow anytime soon, I feel more comfortable after reading your replies and I'll know what to do if I do go up the mountains :)

Miriam

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This doesn't have anything to do with the topic about snow or weather, but more about the pics. I've tried to insert pics using the img thing, and I couldn't do it. Probably I was doing something wrong, but I think I did it right :oops:. How do you guys do it?

Miriam

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
All you have to do is click on the "Img" button in blue above, and then copy the link of the pic, and then click the "Img" button again, and you should be good to go...
the first "img" will show in brackets and the second one will have a "/img" in brackets....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I did that, and that's how I'm sure I did it right, but it didn't work :(
Unless it's different when you're previewing. Does the pic show up on the preview? I'm attaching a pic, and see what i get:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Your pic isn't showing because you are missing the full link.... most pics won't show unlesss it's a .gif or .jpg ...

for example your pic in your album...

See if that shows up....

Also sometimes imagestation pics don't show up that will due to the server or sometimes because you have to be signed in as a member to view the images...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Here's a pic of our snowed in RAV. We got about 2 feet of snow for Christmas. Then it hit -15 degrees and froze solid. We didn't see a plow for 4 days.

The RAV was useless. It just bottomed out in the street and took quite an effort just to get it back in the driveway.

Traffic cam from one of the major interstates. When they're that bad our side streets don't exactly get plow priority.

E

·
0 Posts
One tip when driving in the snow, especially with a manual... don't let up the gas on first gear without hitting your clutch! We've had a lot of snow in Vancouver lately. (Unlike the rest of Canada, Vancouver gets BARELY any snow.... but when it snows in Vancouver, we get the icky wet snow.) I was driving through the side streets, creeping along on first gear, and as I approached a stop sign, I let go the gas without hitting the clutch or putting it in neutral... NOT GOOD. I fishtailed as if I had slammed on the brakes, but luckily I regained control. Whew! :shock:

We're getting even more snow Tuesday afternoon in Vancouver.

The ironic thing is that, in the city, we've been getting all of the snow, but in Whistler (only two hours north of Vancouver), our ski resort, got barely any new snow this past week. Man, it was all ice two weekends ago, and this weekend was no different. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts