Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 'What winter tire is the best' subject is all over the web, with millions of contradicting opinions, and it's very difficult to narrow down to just a few options.
In my case, budget is not a problem, and I want something that holds well on slush, for my 2013 Rav XLE FWD. I will get dedicated steel wheels. I'm in Southern Ontario, and I feel that the most dangerous driving conditions are snowfall while commuting, so slush and snow are my concern over pure ice performance.

I have a 2010 Matrix with Xi-3s, and they are garbage on fresh snow, I don't feel safe with them. Sure you can brake better on an hockey arena, but that's quite gimmicky. I'd rather not hit the other cars during rush hour with snow banks building between lanes and slush on parking lots.

So I'm looking for something with maybe larger gaps between blocks, Xi-3 having very tight grooves that fill with snow easily.

I'm between the Blizzak DM-V2, that might have the same narrow thread issue than the X-ice and not be good on slush, or the Winter Slalom KSI, that have larger blocks but could possibly not perform as well (my wife had them on our previous other matrix, and she reported some sliding sometimes)

What do you guys think?

Before proposing other models: I heard the Hakkapellitas wear down fast, and I won't drive constantly on horrible roads, mostly clear and salted. I'm mad at the Michelins now, and I don't want overly cheap tires.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
every time I look for new tires, it's pretty much always the same names that pop up, blizzaks are really good overall, nokians are best in extreme condition (but not in durability) and toyos observe are in the top 5 with good overall and great durability.
Michelins are only good on ice and the tread depth is shallow so no good in snow.

I would go with the blizzaks or the toyos
I've had toyos on my last 3 cars and my wifes venza, and they do wear very well, and are good in snow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts