Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 XSE Hybrid
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten by without them (2 Camrys over 20 years). But just gotten by.

The Rav4 is my first AWD vehicle and was wondering what other winter drivers do.

Would snow tires make it a much better winter car?

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
I had snow tires for winter when I lived in Minnesota but they were of limited value where I lived, on a farm. If your OEM tires are all season and/or have a rather open tread they probably would be at least as useful, likely even better with AWD. The best winter tires for me were studded, but that was years ago before the Minnesota ban.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you have the money, winter tires are worth it for the safety factor. Plus the mileage on the winter tires saves wear on your all-seasons.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
62 Posts
MN native here. After finally driving for years in Alaska with snow tires, I’ll always drive with them now in winter environments. Blizzaks are my personal favorite but anything will be better than a standard all season tire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Michelin Lattitiude Xice on my 2020 LE hv. They claim Low rolling Resistance, and I believe it because I have experienced consecutive fill ups in the low 50 mpg range this summer. Winters are six months long where I live, and I have. Prius for summer. so I just run the RAV with winter tires year round.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nokian WRG4

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid (Blizzard Pearl/Midnight Black Metallic)
59 Posts
Nokian WRG4

Nokian manufactures fantastic tires and these all-seasons should be great all around.

I ran a set of dedicated winter versions (Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi) on a BMW X3 and felt very safe on snow and ice, but they were a little squirmy on dry pavement.

When the time comes, I’ll mount a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires on a second set of stock wheels for winter use only.

Reactions: The Falken

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think this is the first winter tire discussion I've ever seen that wasn't overwhelmingly "buy winter tires or you're worse than Hitler"!

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
108 Posts
I think this is the first winter tire discussion I've ever seen that wasn't overwhelmingly "buy winter tires or you're worse than Hitler"!
Lol! No doubt! If you have the money, it just makes sense. (if you are in a region that actually has winter) Even cheapo winter tires would be better than all seasons. Safer for you and family and safer for everybody else on the road. Those of us that have had "all seasons" in winter and have also had dedicated winter tires know its not even a contest.
I'm using 245/55/18 WRG4 all weather tires. My tire/wheel set up is 1.5lbs heavier than stock, wider and I have seen no difference in fuel economy. They are just as quiet, and actually ride nicer imo than the stock. Even though I could probably run these in the winter I have nokian R3's and the stock wheels for winter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Worst hit for mileage with using metal rims. Is there any advice or recommendations from Toyota regarding winter tires with hybrid?

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
130 Posts
I agree with most others who've already posted here. I think it boils down to one main factor...Do you have to drive in road conditions with snow on the ground, and how often?

For me, the Rav4 is also my first AWD vehicle, previously, I drove a Honda Civic for the last 20 yrs. I was able to manage getting through winters with snow because I mostly didn't drive during those conditions (you and other may not have that luxury of avoiding driving all-together during those conditions)...

I've also been asking myself if I should get winter tires, and I've decided not to get them. The reason for MY decision is that I live in Northern, NJ and over the years the winters have been milder and milder. If I recall correctly, last winter we have snowfall only 2-3 times, and most melted in 2-3 days, max. I also have the option to avoid dangerous road conditions and will avoid driving in snowy conditions, unless it's a true emergency.

If you decide that snow tires are appropriate for your conditions, I would HIGHLY recommend you buy them, even if money is an issue. The cheapest snow tires are going to be better then the best all season tires. One set should last you many winters, if not the life-time of your Rav4 (unless you drive a lot during the winter months), and the money you'll safe by being better prepared to avoid accidents will be much higher then the cost of the tires, not to mention bodily harm to you or others in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, cold weather package.
136 Posts
I don't know, I have been driving my Forester for 10 years now on all-seasons and even in winter have no problem most of the time. Yeas on rare occasion I loose a grip for a few seconds but mostly not a problem.
When I got my Forester we had a huge snow storm a few week after.
I went out and on OEM all seasons, there sheetiest tire all around I was doing donuts in 3 ft of snow on the nearby Kmart parking lot for 20 min.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lol! No doubt! If you have the money, it just makes sense. (if you are in a region that actually has winter) Even cheapo winter tires would be better than all seasons. Safer for you and family and safer for everybody else on the road. Those of us that have had "all seasons" in winter and have also had dedicated winter tires know its not even a contest.
I'm using 245/55/18 WRG4 all weather tires. My tire/wheel set up is 1.5lbs heavier than stock, wider and I have seen no difference in fuel economy. They are just as quiet, and actually ride nicer imo than the stock. Even though I could probably run these in the winter I have nokian R3's and the stock wheels for winter.

I don't know, I have been driving my Forester for 10 years now on all-seasons and even in winter have no problem most of the time. Yeas on rare occasion I loose a grip for a few seconds but mostly not a problem.
When I got my Forester we had a huge snow storm a few week after.
I went out and on OEM all seasons, there sheetiest tire all around I was doing donuts in 3 ft of snow on the nearby Kmart parking lot for 20 min.
Every discussion I've seen surrounding winter tires online goes strongly over the edge to always buy them.

There are some decent cases for people to not buy them. People who live in downtown condos and walk to work or work from home and only use the car for weekends on errands and just stay home and people blasting them for even considering it.

There are also lots of shitty winter tires out there. I bought a set of Nexen ones that were worse than my all seasons and ditched them pretty quickly.

All that being said I'd hands down get decent winter tires if I lived in a place that gets regular sustained snow!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If money is not a concern then a dedicated set of snow weels is very nice. With that said, snow tires do not mask stupid and dangerous driving decisions or habits.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,095 Posts
If you could spend $1,000+ to reduce the chance of an accident by ??%, should you do it? How would you feel if you didn't and hit a patch of black ice?

I didn't so I totaled a Porsche. Anti-lock brakes locked as I'm slow reacting to a red truck with red brake lights stoping in front of me and I am blinded by the sun in my eyes. Normal conditions, no problem stopping. But at just below freezing on a frosty morning I didn't know there was ice on the blacktop. Those expensive tires just slid. 30 years earlier I listened to the sounds of tires sliding on ice as someone slid into the rear of my very rare Alfa as I stopped to make a left hand turn.

I know from experience there is a difference between high-performance summer tires and dedicated winter tires rated for severe weather conditions. But the unknown is what is that ??% difference between all-seasons and dedicated snows.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
108 Posts
There are numerous test videos on Youtube showing winter tires vs all seasons. There really isn't much of a comparison.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts