Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes. We finally got about 10-15inch of snow here in Philadelphia. About to go see what this 2015 RAV4 xle with continentals tires is about . ??? wish me luck guys .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had mine out last night with the OEM tires, and it didn't miss a beat. That was only in about 5" of unplowed snow though. I never did bother putting the snow tires on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As long as it is snow and not ice, you will do fine. Add ice and forget it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll let you know how my new set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP's do (this is my 2nd set- replaced originals at 55,000 mi)...as soon as it stops snowing and the Plows come by to open the road.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
I'll let you know how my new set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP's do (this is my 2nd set- replaced originals at 55,000 mi)...as soon as it stops snowing and the plows come by to open the road.
Nice snow pics - untouched by human feet! :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Remember: disengage VSC and TRAC; engage AWD LOCK and drop tranny into LOW if you get in a pickle! ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got to drive my RAV4 for the first time in the snow here on the southern coast of Rhode Island. Had about a 20 mile drive of back and minor roads. The car handles very well!
For the past 30 years, I've been a healthcare worker who needs to get to and from work no matter how bad the weather is. It's good to have confidence in the car you drive in bad weather.

·
Registered
424 Posts
About three weeks ago in North Idaho at the Farragut State park frisbee golf course after a few hours of XC skiing. OEM Toyo tires. Car did fine.

Reactions: ilvcrv

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Results. The RAV4 was a beast in this east coast snow we had. Was blasting thru 10-15inch of snow no problems with factory continentals .

·
Registered
166 Posts
@jdmtai - All the other cars are saluting you with their wiper arms. :)

I do wonder why people do that... I live in Michigan and have never had my blades stick to the glass in 20+ winters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Rav4 is a beast in 4x4 lock mode and TC off. the all season Michelins worked great as long as there was less than 18" of snow.

"I do wonder why people do that... I live in Michigan and have never had my blades stick to the glass in 20+ winters.[/QUOTE]"

Here in the mid Atlantic we've had a number of storms transition from Snow to Rain to Ice and it's no fun chipping the wipers out of a frozen slab. It takes 10 seconds and saves a lot of aggravation.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Love the pictures again! Especially the one-way footprints obviously just to take the pre-launch shot! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Read the bad thing about "raising your wipers" is that it weakens the springs in the wiper arm. I just wiggle mine free if iced in and have no problem. I use the ANCO winter blades.

CR magazine Nov 2105, Winter Tire rules issue. They took a new Honda CR-V AWD and with OEM tires stopped in 600 ft in snow/ice. Putting on a set of winter tires in stopped in 320 ft.
They claim and I concur that most people in snow states would be better investing in winter tires rather than in a AWD or 4wd vehicle with all season tires during winter.

In 51 years of driving in Buffalo never had a 4wd or AWD vehicle and always use winter snow/ice ties. Winter tires help in traction, handling and stopping.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
My '15 XLE with OEM rubber came through just fine in 12 inches of the white stuff 'on the street where I live'. :wink

I would prefer some winter rubber on all 4 corners myself. 0:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Rav4 is a beast in 4x4 lock mode and TC off. the all season Michelins worked great as long as there was less than 18" of snow.

"I do wonder why people do that... I live in Michigan and have never had my blades stick to the glass in 20+ winters.
"

Here in the mid Atlantic we've had a number of storms transition from Snow to Rain to Ice and it's no fun chipping the wipers out of a frozen slab. It takes 10 seconds and saves a lot of aggravation.[/QUOTE]
My wifes 15 LE has the heating element in the windshield where the wipers park.Within a minute the wipers are free.What a great idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reporting in from Philadelphia as well... The Geolanders did OKAY... Got stuck a few times in excess of 16-19 inches of snow. Me personally I wish the AWD was permanently and would glady take the mileage penalty

If I had a Wishlist for the next gen rav:

A direct injected 4 and 6 cylinder engine options, TORQUE VECTORING full-time AWD... This is a must, and an inch or 2 of ground clearance

Sidenote... I was getting smoked by Jeep Cherokees... Those crossover are awesome

1 - 20 of 24 Posts