Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my first real heavy snowfall (and blizzard with 70 km/hr winds)in the hybrid. Traffic was so slow at rush hour it was hard to tell how it does on the roads very well. Changed lanes through heavy 7" high piles though same as the gas rav it replaced. At least 8", maybe up to 10" at the garage door in the driveway and slowly pulled up it with no complaints. Cleaned a nice path with the under carriage into the garage though. Still snowing hard and expected to into tomorrow. Another slow drive in tomorrow I guess. But the hybrid handled just as competently as the 14 xle did. Good times, good times.

Yesterday we had some grass still. All of that snow fell today and more coming. Driveway is already filling in after an hour of us shovelling. That's the side our our garage with the lights, taken from second floor. Grrrrr...

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Snow here too, but not as much as you are getting. It was a boring drive because the performance is as capable in snow as our 2011 which is very good.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Snow here too, but not as much as you are getting. It was a boring drive because the performance is as capable in snow as our 2011 which is very good.

Does the 2011 also revert to pure FWD when you mash the throttle in icy corners? My hybrids plows straight.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Does the 2011 also revert to pure FWD when you mash the throttle in icy corners? My hybrids plows straight.
The 4.3s stay in 4WD whenever there's slippage under throttle but revert to FWD when decelerating. On old all-season tires I could easily make the rear slide sideways on snow anytime I wanted :) - which of course was w/o wifey riding shotgun. :wink

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 4.3s stay in 4WD whenever there's slippage under throttle but revert to FWD when decelerating. On old all-season tires I could easily make the rear slide sideways on snow anytime I wanted :) - which of course was w/o wifey riding shotgun. :wink
I could easily fishtail in my 14 xle as well. Haven't tried it in the hybrid yet. But electric motors don't like to spin freely so I'm not sure how that will impact it. I kinda miss my old camaro in winter from back in the day. Driving rear wheel drive in winter is so easy. For 6 months of the year to take a corner you only need about two inches of steering input for a brief second and then manage the throttle input to take the corner. It was just second nature to drift in the corners. Also fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had our first snowfall of the season in Chicago last weekend. About six inches but less where we live.

The one thing I noticed most (and this is my first car with AWD) is how easy it was to get the car moving from a full stop when the car was in loose snow. Even had to do this when on a fairly steep hill.

There was no indication that the rear wheels were engaged other than the fact that the car didn't slip at all and accelerated smoothly. Though it would be fun to have an indicator that illuminates when the rear motor kicks in.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hopefully you guys can keep all the snow but it's coming to Toronto soon.

Wife will be driving her RAV4 on snowy days for sure and I drive the beater Civic with not even ABS. :)

I might drive our 11 Accord though just for safety reasons.

Keep safe and warm everyone.

·
Registered
211 Posts
HA! It is -17F here and my 2016 Limited Hybrid is great in the 8 inches of snow. I read somewhere that the LED lights get covered with snow and need to be brushed off, since they do not generate heat. Has anyone run into that problem. So far I have not had a problem.

·
Registered
422 Posts
HA! It is -17F here and my 2016 Limited Hybrid is great in the 8 inches of snow. I read somewhere that the LED lights get covered with snow and need to be brushed off, since they do not generate heat. Has anyone run into that problem. So far I have not had a problem.
Yes you need to clean them.

I have one of these, I was thinking to try it on the LED lights instead of the windshield.

Heat Shot Heated Windscreen Washer System review

·
Registered
846 Posts
Make sure to wipe cameras or your sensors will go haywire. I have to find out how many there are in total with the tech package.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
The 2011 definitely does not have cornering issues in snow. I have driven it in some bad conditions and it never flinched. It does have Michelins which I think are much better than the Geolandars. The hybrid being so capable is a plus so my wife and I have no worries about snow.:smile

·
Registered
87 Posts
We put 17" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s on our '16 Rav4 Hybrid last Friday, got our first snow of the season over the weekend. Not much snow but we've had a lot of ice as a result...Seems to be performing really well so far. No noticeable slippage when getting up and going from a stoplight/stop sign even when we see other cars struggling to get going. Will update as the season progresses...On a side note, going from the 18" Ecopia/OEM tires to the 17" Blizzaks, the ride seems to be softer (for the better) when hitting road imperfections, expansion joints, bridges, etc. and the road noise has decreased some.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have 16" cooper discoverer M+S on our hybrid limited. The ride has definitely improved but handling not so much. Not that you exactly need firm handling putting through snow and ice so that's a non issue. I find the snow tires louder though(when actually on bare concrete) being so blocky compared to the ecopias.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I did say it don't snow much where I live, I spoke too soon. Below is a clip from my dashcam.
Car handle real well.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
How good is the AWD system on the hybrids when not in a straight and flat path?

I read that the outgoing AWD on the Honda CRV sucked big time, especially on curvy roads.

Can AWD really be a liability in wintry road conditions when driving at sensible speed?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Anything can be a liability when in the wrong hands.
Anything can work well when in the right hands.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts