Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father had died a couple of months ago. He had told more than one person that he planned to get me and my sibling both new cars.

I got my RAV4 LE back at the end of May, love the car. I just didn't like the non-powered liftgate in the back. I'm handicapped, and have to put my rolling walker, and my mom's rolling walker in the back every time we go out. It took me about a week or two of that door surprising me sometimes when I'd open it up, and it would pop up really fast. Several times I got knocked off my feet by it surprising me, no matter how careful I was. At least 3 times it popped up and nearly whacked me in the jaw because I was standing a little too close.

Since I traded in my handicap conversion minivan in an even trade for my RAV4, and my mom said we could use some insurance money on getting a second one, today me and my mom went RAV4 shopping.

I ended up picking out a Black Currant Metallic RAV4 XLE. It has the powered liftgate, and other fun gadgets inside. I timed it well, getting in on the 4th of July sales. (the RAV4 LE I got in May, I timed well too. Got the good rebates they had then).

I have to take the hand controls out of the LE and switch them over to the XLE but the cool thing about that... Toyota has a rebate program. They'll pay to install hand controls in new Toyotas. So I might have to wait for the rebate check (still waiting for the first one), but I won't actually have to pay for the installation of my hand controls.

There was one little tiny wrinkle in my plans.

The dealer didn't have that XLE in stock here in Omaha. They had to go up to Sioux City, IA to get it. The saleslady that sold me the car drove up there this afternoon to pick it up. Here's where the wrinkle comes in. Five minutes before she got to the dealership in Sioux City. They had a hail-pocalypse. My XLE ended up getting totaled. (there's a reason I don't like glass moonroofs. Hail is one of those reasons).

So the saleslady didn't do the transfer. She turned around and came back to Omaha. Called me on the way back to tell me the bad news. Said she'd try to find me another XLE, but she didn't think she could find another Black Currant Metallic. I called my family member, broke the bad news. I also found out that friday is the only day I could get the hand controls installed. If I don't get that done friday, I have to wait till the 17th. (installer is going on vacation, he's the only one allowed to work on my particular hand controls).

So, I was surprised to get a phone call from the saleslady about a half hour after she told me that Mother Nature had killed my car. She found another Black Currant Metallic XLE in Kansas City! She's sending a driver down there in the morning to pick it up. It should be here by afternoon. The hand control installer is staying late to install the controls for me.

Here in Omaha we had our own hail-pocalypse tonight. If she had actually gotten the XLE from Sioux City, it would still have been doomed. The hand control installation place was ground zero tonight for baseball sized hail. It would have been parked outside the building.

The Sioux City XLE was apparently marked for death. Poor thing.

I'm watching the Kansas City weather tonight with a lot of suspicion. They're having thunderstorms tonight too, apparently with hail. Hopefully Mother Nature isn't a RAV4 serial killer. Really hoping that dealership parked my new XLE inside tonight.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
The Sioux City XLE was apparently marked for death. Poor thing.

Hopefully Mother Nature isn't a RAV4 serial killer.
Well Erin, you certainly aren't handicapped when it comes to writing. I (we) always enjoy your stories, or should I say sagas, and those are two great lines. All the best to you with your second new 2017 RAV4.

Reactions: ErinLindsey

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe that's a divine signal to look for another vehicle LOL !!! congrats on the new Rav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Let us know if the new one comes in without dimples.........

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far so good. Just talked to the saleslady. She's going on a roadtrip to Kansas City to get my car. Said she should be back around 3 this afternoon. Hope she has fun putting the first couple hundred miles on my car.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
So far so good. Just talked to the saleslady. She's going on a roadtrip to Kansas City to get my car. Said she should be back around 3 this afternoon. Hope she has fun putting the first couple hundred miles on my car.

Be sure they start your 3/36 warranty at the milage that is on the car when you sign the papers. ?

Reactions: ErinLindsey

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure they start your 3/36 warranty at the milage that is on the car when you sign the papers. ?
Thanks!

I also have to make sure the Toyota warranty for two years on the first one transfers over.

·
Registered
160 Posts

what !!! she's is driving your new car? wow why they don't send a tow truck for it? I would ask for a nice discount if they are going to deliver the car with a couple of hundreds miles on it, but that's just me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Congratulations on your another-new RAV and one which does what you want it to do. But mind those Nebraska thunderstorms and the sometimes- tennis ball sized hail (I know about that from personal experience!).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG I LOVE MY NEW RAV4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤❤
I think the XLE handles better than the LE.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

I just have one complaint about it. Whoever was driving it around so much in Kansas City before I bought it needs to really tone it down on the bleeping perfume. I'm half allergic to the interior right now because someone was marinating in there. I can also smell cigarettes in it, but that's not anywhere near as gag inducing. Going to have to talk to the dealership about it.

Now I have to figure out if I can make the screen any dimmer. I had to turn the screen off to drive tonight because it was so irritating and distracting.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Congrats on the new XLE! ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

this was taken when the saleslady picked it up in KC. I really do love this color, even better than the Barcelona Red. The Black Currant Metallic is really cool. It looks black in dim or dark light, but purple in sunlight or regular lightbulbs in the garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts