Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm 26 years old, been driving for 10 years legally and a bit before that. I've always pride myself in my safe driving, never making any mistakes and being more than able to hold my end on handling and speed.

Unfortunately, Good Friday wasn't that good for me. Something I never thought would happen to me......I momentarily fell asleep behind the wheel.

Was on my way home from work after working two really early morning shifts and not getting any sleep the nights before.
About 15 minutes after leaving the airport, I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore, no matter how hard I tried to shake it off.

That's about the time I felt the tyres leave the asphalt and when I opened my eyes, all I could see is a sign post, about a 3inch hollow iron post....and I hit it head on. The post folded under the Rav, but instinct told me to try to get back on the road, so I began to turn towards the right ( we drive on the left in Trinidad) and the Rav just fishtailed off the road into the gutter. It spun 90 degrees and ended up perpendicular to the road.
I have a picture in my cell phone, but I don't have the software to get it out grrrr.

Immediately called a couple coworkers who left the sametime as me and within 45 minutes, I was towed out and back on the road. I was buckled in so no personal injury whatsoever.

The damage : Bonnet (or hood, depending on where you're from) has to change, radiator and air condition condenser, and that 2inch square bar behind the front bumper is bent inwards. The bumper reformed on it's own but will have to be repainted. The grill got minor scratches.
The back bumper, well the rear left lower quarter, where that red reflector is, got damaged too when the back hit the mud.

On wednesday I'm taking it to the garage to take down the bumper for a final assessment and hopefully it will be repaired as soon as possible.

Summary; everyone who saw where I was said that car was suppose to roll over, but it didn't. In other words, the damage was suppose to be a lot worse, yet I walked out without a scratch. After 3.5 years of ownership, I finally got my money's worth because this vehicle did what it was made to do..protect me.

So come December, regardless of how it looks or cost, I will be buying the 2006 Rav4 and remain faithful for as long as the rav4s are around.

Oh, I did wake up when it came to a complete stop. :D

safe driving!!!

Faraz

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Oh Faraz, so sorry to hear that your baby got hurt, but hey, you're alive and that's the important thing :D, thanks to your car and the guy up there watching all over us :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts