Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a misfire on cylinder 4, checked it out and I have low compression (130) in that cylinder. The other 3 are 175-180 and when testing I noticed the plugs in 1 and 2 are a little pink. Not good and only gonna get worse.

Me and the Mrs just bought a house a few months ago and $ is tight.

Options:
replace the 3sfe - pick one up off ebay and drop it in. Cheapest overall but I would feel like a loser. Rav would still be slow.
Pull and rebuild - about the same $ as an ebay 3sfe, probably last longer, still slow and loserville.

Fun options:
V6 swap - was the first thought many months ago, don't have the time and $ to do it right.
3sgte - too much power for the little Rav and I'd need to upgrade the suspension, brakes, rear diff, overall too much $.
3sge - decent but can't find one that is complete w/ecu
Greytop 3sge - also can't find one complete, kinda rare.
Redtop 3sge - available, a little more $ than replace/rebuild, leaning this way.

what other options are there ?

I need opinions, someone sway me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trust me, I would of loved to do a v6, it was my first choice.

I'm 99% sure we decided to go with a redtop beams. Simple, easy, reliable, good hp, not as much torque as a v6 but better than a 3sfe.

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
If I had a V6 in a RAV4 with a 4-cylinder manual tranny drivetrain I'd have a LOT of fun :wink: until I found the weakest part! :oops:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I think it would be the drive shafts. For everyday driving, I don't think it would be much of a problem, nor for Road Racing. As long as you don't give it a hard jolt on a Xmas tree. Too much sticky "bye" would really trash them. The best is the cool sound. Sounds like a windup toy ready to play. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
The weakest link its the rear subframe and the front diff mount.

@Batman722 I've been tempted to purchase a Redtop BEAM's motor but I'm power hungry for a 10 to 1 hp-to-weight ratio.

·
Registered
57 Posts
love the sound of the v6 i would love to put a 3sgte in my wideboy then it would have looks and power lol but i understand that if money is tight then either fix your engine unless you can pick up and fit another one for the same price then get some money together then go to town on it lol good luck anyway bud

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and I just bought a Beams.

It will be here in a few weeks then me and the woman will do some maintenance, figure out what clutch to get, and convert the wiring harness.

I'm not worried about the drivetrain with the Beams. The Beams doesn't have the instant torque that will snap anything, it's a very linear curve.

I've already poly filled the rear diff mount and I'm probably going to replace the front rear diff mount (arm with the 2 bushings).

I'm a little concerned about suspension honestly...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been trying to decide on the clutch.
Searched for a bit and didn't find much info here at all.

I'm keeping the Rav awd using the e250f.
I'm gonna use the 3sge fw, e250f tob, and MR2T pp/disk (e153 setup).
In theory this should all work just fine. Once the motor gets here I have a spare (old) MR2T clutch set up to mock up and make sure things are 100%. If that's a no go, probably st185 pp w/stock beams disk.

Then just the fun and excitment of wiring the harness :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

decided on using a st185/mr2 turbo clutch set up.
I need to order some maintenance parts, pull the 3sfe/tranny, do some wiring, bolt everything up, drive away. The target date to have the rav back on the road is the end of November, probably sooner.

I will probably have the fastest 4.1 in the states.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pulled the tranny off and have the beams on the stand now.
We tucked away the s54 w/lsd for now (until we swap the wife's celica with a 3rd or 4th gen 3sgte) :)
Looking into getting some parts then in a few weeks pull the old 3s.

yipee.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Batman, I've got a stupid question. What exactly is a "Beams" engine?

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
BEAMS = Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System

"The fourth generation 3SGE is also known as the 3SGE BEAMS. It began production in 1997, and is still being produced for the Altezza. The 3S-GE BEAMS was the first Toyota engine with dual VVT-i, increasing the available power to 197 bhp."

Keep the details coming Batman. I am extremely interested in this project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BEAMS = Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System

"The fourth generation 3SGE is also known as the 3SGE BEAMS. It began production in 1997, and is still being produced for the Altezza. The 3S-GE BEAMS was the first Toyota engine with dual VVT-i, increasing the available power to 197 bhp."

Keep the details coming Batman. I am extremely interested in this project.
That is describing the Blacktop that is out of the Altezza, its layed out for a front engine rear wheel drive setup not transverse like the Redtop out of a Celica. The Redtop does not have dual VVT-i, it is only on the intake side. It was one of the first Toyota motors to have VVT-i, it is rated for 210hp at the flywheel.

I can post all the part numbers for all the things I have ordered later on so there is a detailed parts list available for anyone else who wants to attempt this swap. We have a Beams Redtop in our red 94 Celica, it really is a fantastic motor.
I am Dustin's (batman722) wife btw :)

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
That is describing the Blacktop that is out of the Altezza, its layed out for a front engine rear wheel drive setup not transverse like the Redtop out of a Celica. The Redtop does not have dual VVT-i, it is only on the intake side. It was one of the first Toyota motors to have VVT-i, it is rated for 210hp at the flywheel.
I stand corrected. And everyone here will appreciate the list you intend to post.
Another quick question: Is the red-top a NON "non-interference" engine?
(as stated in Toyota S engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Beams is an interference motor.
IIRC all toyota interference motors now have timing chains instead of belts.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Belts have indeed been removed because they only last for 105K miles max.
Chains can last up to 500K miles, if they are properly oiled and maintained, which means that car owners almost never have to replace them anymore.

However, i do feel a bit stumbed that the BEAMS is an interference. I thought all engines from 1995 and after where non-interference from Toyota to prevent widescale damage in case of a belt/ chain breaking.
Greetz

Pim

·
Registered
364 Posts
not sure about your claim

hey Pim ive never seen that claim before but i can tell you that my dads tacoma can be had with a four cylinder engine with a timing chain (what he has) and a v6 engine with a timing belt. the car is 1998 and it the v6 with timing belt is a interference while the four banger is a non inteference with chain

its so backwards i know

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dropping the motor out tonight.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts