Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, so as said, I just bought a I. gen Rav, for relatively low price, that however isn't without a reason. As the crucial components of the car are more or less in a good shape, there are "a few" minor flaws to fix. As I do not have experience with dealing with cars any help is appreciated. This thread will be my repair to-do list, so I'll just write down what has to be done, and what had already been done. Let's get Started:

1. Engine, Transmision etc. (or "well, it could be worse")
1.1 "Farting" exhaust seal //not a big deal really
1.2 3rd gear cranking when shifting into it //yet unidentified problem, any suggestions? the more i drive the car the more quiet and less frequent it is, still it occurs
1.3 Leaking seal of front right drive shaft

2. Exterior and interior (or "this really has 19 years?!")
2.1 Front right body widening plastic (dunno how it's called) missing front screw //seriously Toyota, why there is just 1 mounting point in the front and 3 in the back. the plastic there basically disintegrated, so I need to figure out a way to reattach it properly

2.2 Dismantle terrible doorsteps last owner added
2.3 Left Tail light is not properly transparent //Can it be leaned, or do I have to buy a new one? Where do I buy it cheapest?

2.4 Fix minor damage to soft-top

2.5 Replace Wipers arm //it's holding partially on tape
2.6 Some Plastic mounting screw are missing also the door seal mount seen better times
2.7 Mount a radio, a CB radio, thermo-isolate tools compartment so it can function as a fridge
2.8 If possible, renovate plastics and paint //an tips on that?
2.9 Cabin filter not working properly (missing or broken)

3. Electrics (or "this is f*cked up mate") //dunno even where to start
3.1 Fog lights not working //can't find where they even should be

3.2 Mirror adjustment not working
3.3 Lighter socket not working
3.4 Seat heating not working
3.5 Passenger Window motor is "dying"
3.6 A lot of spare wires and sockets in the engine compartment
3.7 Possibly one of fuseboxes (driver one) missing
3.8 Not all dashboard lights work (no reaction to turning on parking lights) //may just be a broken light bulbs
3.9 Horn not working beacuse... it was removed by previous owner //gues I can get one on scrap yard, but how do I connect it
3.10 Lack of manual for EU model, I know that it does not vary a lot from US, but still this can lead to some misinterpretations

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Welcome! You didn't complete your profile so we don't know where you are located. You already have quite a list of items which need to be taken care of. The exterior looks great, but about the fender flares and body panels, have you checked to make certain that they aren't hiding a lot of body rust?

Have good times with your RAV!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it the transaxle seal or the inner CV boot? Neither are that hard to replace, but both a PITA. I did the inner boot on an MR2 a few months ago. It's basically the same. HINT: If it is the inner boot, fix it first. Once the grease is all out of it, the joint will destroy itself. If you fix it before, all you really need is an inner boot for like ten or fifteen (US) dollars.

For the 3rd gear shifting issue, get some Redline MTL transmission fluid. The stuff is like magic.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What a nice little RAV4, its sooooo cute.
- auto or stick shift ?
- I assume its 4x4
Body looks really solid, a good save...enjoy.
- like to see an interior shot

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
3. Electrics (or "this is f*cked up mate") //dunno even where to start
3.1 Fog lights not working //can't find where they even should be
3.2 Mirror adjustment not working
3.3 Lighter socket not working
3.4 Seat heating not working
3.5 Passenger Window motor is "dying"
3.6 A lot of spare wires and sockets in the engine compartment
3.7 Possibly one of fuseboxes (driver one) missing
3.8 Not all dashboard lights work (no reaction to turning on parking lights) //may just be a broken light bulbs
3.9 Horn not working beacuse... it was removed by previous owner //gues I can get one on scrap yard, but how do I connect it
3.1: What do you mean by "fog lights"? I can't see anything in the front.
If you mean the rear one, there is a fog light switch next to the headlamp leveling switch BUT you have to press it while the low beam is already on.
3.2, 3.3: Check fuses labeled "HORN", "CIG", "TURN & GAUGE", "TAIL" and "AM 1", in the fuse box by your left knee.
3.4: Check fuse labeled "SEAT-HTR" in the fuse box in the engine compartment (next to the driver's side strut tower).
3.5: Spray some silicone spray on the rubber channels where the window slides. It may help prolong the inevitable.
3.6, 3.7: Check pages 189-190 in the "Merged_Rav4_User_Manual.pdf" (https://docs.google.com/folderview?p...FlmSTI3aUFhYWM) for locations of the engine compartment fuse boxes.
Also, check pages 222-224 for more info on individual fuses (possible discrepancies between Euro and US models here). While you are at it, there is a "Fuses.pdf" file there as well.
3.8: Maybe an aforementioned fuse is the culprit here. Make sure you haven't turned the instrument cluster dimmer knob all the way counter-clockwise.
If you indeed need to change bulbs, check these threads for info: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/64607-4-1-dash-light-mod.html
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/92115-diy-comprehensive-interior-lights-leds.html
3.9: Check the following pic (round thingy in front of the radiator, ignore the green arrows):

(http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/37389-mick-hatzo/used-forums-8706-picture50298-grille-guard-mounting-holes.jpg)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the horn just isn't there, someone salvaged it as I said. Bigger problem is the driver's fuse box, as in my car it looks like that:

There is a hatch, but nothing inside it :(

Also I forgot to ask what does this switch do:

As of interior, I got lucky as this one has leather seats (but no radio, so I use portable speaker for now) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts