Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read the threads from Myaplax or whatever his name was ..seen the videos... in the past I Have always looked into getting a chip or retuned computer or whatever depending on the car to improve the power and I have had some very noticeable results on some cars. its just odd cause it seems nobody here has done any of that on the V6 RAV.. its such a smooth motor too.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
About chips which supposedly improve V6 performance there is this thread, among others.. Consumer Reports tested chips which were advertised to enhance performance and their conclusion was that they essentially were worthless and some could even result in degraded performance: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/87164-do-these-performance-chips-work.html One problem also could be that engines with alterations would still need to meet emissions requirements to be legal. It seems that I recall that performance improving products sometimes used to be advertised with the warning that they were not for sale in some states, but differing state requirements Now it may be that federal standards already are so restrictive that substantive engine modifications are not possible. It appears that people are confined largely to changing out intake and exhaust systems. Dr. Dyno may be able to shed more light onto the topic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong here, but my understanding is that the V6 engine is also installed in the Lotus Evora GTE, but that's bored out to 4L. There seems to be a supercharger kit for it also which was used in the
2007-2009 TRD Aurion (TRD supercharger)
2011–present Lotus Evora S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)
2012 Lotus Exige S (345 hp, 295 lb-ft)

So I guess the best option is to source a TRD supercharger kit, hack the plumbing if needed and then attempt to load the software onto the ECU. ...and then you'll need to get this thing to pass emissions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my thinking was someone had to make some chip improvements for the camry SE v6 so why not the Rav4 v6

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cold air intake ?? ive ran them on other cars. The factory box with a K&N style filter is usually just as good. with everything else factory you get more noise than anything else.

I havnt had my hot rods in a while but I am pretty sure they still make programmers for cars . if not I am sure someone makes pop in piggyback chips or whatever.

It seems to me that the lack of here is just lack of interest. the market for this type of thing must be to small.

nobody has seen any souped up RAV4 in JAPAN OR EUROPE ? ....

if someone had the equipment it would be possible to change air / fuel maps and shift points and eleminate the top speed. this is normal for other cars. I dont know if it would hurt the car ability to pass emmisions or not. ive never smelt anything out the pipe.. I cant say that about some of my other rides .

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Ive read the threads from Myaplax or whatever his name was ..seen the videos... in the past I Have always looked into getting a chip or retuned computer or whatever depending on the car to improve the power and I have had some very noticeable results on some cars. its just odd cause it seems nobody here has done any of that on the V6 RAV.. its such a smooth motor too.

Over the years, it seemed no-one had the capability to 'crack' the ECU coding to make changes. First I have heard was OrangeVirusTuning. And more recently, R9K. No website for R9K. I am also looking for forum posts anywhere about R9k but have not found anything. Only R9k's Facebook posts and videos.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
It seems to me that the lack of here is just lack of interest. the market for this type of thing must be to small. nobody has seen any souped up RAV4 in JAPAN OR EUROPE ? ....

if someone had the equipment it would be possible to change air / fuel maps and shift points and eleminate the top speed. this is normal for other cars. I dont know if it would hurt the car ability to pass emmisions or not. ive never smelt anything out the pipe.. I cant say that about some of my other rides .
As soon as you figure out how to do it let us all know. It makes no difference what you've done to other cars this one is a tough nut to crack. Try doing some research for yourself and you won't be quite so cocky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As soon as you figure out how to do it let us all know. It makes no difference what you've done to other cars this one is a tough nut to crack. Try doing some research for yourself and you won't be quite so cocky.

I have searched this forum . that is why I stated my opinion. there are like 2 guys on here that have taken the time to go to track and run it. the other 98% barely know how to change the oil. most on here run stock stereo in it. the actual people this car was built for are NOT hot rodders .

thats not being cocky that is just the fact. I see one of these cars pretty much any time on the road at any time of day any hour. they made tons of these ..most are driven by women who dont care about going faster. most are 4 cylinders on top of that.

As for what I have done, I was just saying that I have seen what can be done with something like ECU remapping. actual results.

just because it wasnt THIS car is not a reason to express what is possible. There are quite a few people in the world that believe that throwing on a cone filter is actually working. and they are not aware of or have never actually done modifications to the ECU.

I wasnt being cocky..Ive been on here a while and I searched this forum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not trying to be a wise guy. in other topics people share their experiences all the time involving other cars. I was doing the same.

this car wasnt marketed to hot rod crowd. more like the small family crowd with a boat. The fact that they put the v6 in it was probably a fluke but it is a dream for those that have one. I wouldnt own one if I only had the 4 cylinder. I had the 99 5spd. that was enough. ...

no need to get mad.

it might be tough to make the changes to the ECU without an actual car on the dyno. I dont know. but until someone tries nobody will know. I dont have a dyno or the equipment to reflash the ECU. I have changed out ECU chips and added modified piggyback chips.

the process is the same with all cars unless the factory somehow made this ECU unchangeable. I dont know enought about the process to know if that is possible.

its entirely possible that a 2017 rav4 cant be modified. its entirely possible that a 2006 v6 can be. in 2006 modding for performance was big. they were not making 900hp cars at the factory then. you had to take what they gave you and make it better yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[... snip what could be a PM...]

Do you own a V6 RAV4? If so, could you open up your ECU and read off any internal numbers? This can help with R9K to let us know if they are capable of reflashing our ECUs or not. Thanks!
You first and tell us how it works out.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
**Snip, Snip** This could've also been a PM.
You first and tell us how it works out.
But I don't know how to properly open up an ECU. He said he's opened up many ECUs and done this before. Did I miss something? :confused:

Besides Pico, I know you don't think any of this stuff works. You aren't interested.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's a kit for better performance. I think your money is better spent on that vs trying to crack the ECU for a tune.

You'd likely need to upgrade your suspension and brakes as well. The Rav4, even with the sport suspension isn't all that planted and while the brakes are ok, they could use a bit more bite.

That HKS engine management won't work with the Rav4 but if he gets R9K to tune his ECU, Kevin could easily run the HKS kit and get better numbers than MonkeyWrench got with their test mule Rav4. The kit itself isn't a direct fit and requires some modifications.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That HKS engine management won't work with the Rav4 but if he gets R9K to tune his ECU, Kevin could easily run the HKS kit and get better numbers than MonkeyWrench got with their test mule Rav4. The kit itself isn't a direct fit and requires some modifications.
OMG!!!!!! I didn't know Monkeywrench Racing had a friggin' supercharger kit for the 2GR-FE engine. :egad: Gonna have to do more research. Thanks for the link. :D

I need to be careful as they stated they had a torque converter that would work for my RAV4 (They really didn't know). Had my tranny apart only to find out that it wouldn't fit. That was a very expensive trial-n-error episode I don't want to go through again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yeah they ran the HKS programmer and it did not work with the Rav4. Also, the intercooler, you're gonna need to make a custom hood to get some air going there. From the website description, they did lay out all the issues. However, as a direct bolt on with no tuning....not a bad price. They did say that the air/fuel rations were spot on.

I remember coming across this awhile back.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
yeah they ran the HKS programmer and it did not work with the Rav4. Also, the intercooler, you're gonna need to make a custom hood to get some air going there. From the website description, they did lay out all the issues. However, as a direct bolt on with no tuning....not a bad price. They did say that the air/fuel rations were spot on.

I remember coming across this awhile back.
Thanks for the post. Just made another thread specifically for it. Personally, I'd put on an STi hood and two hood vents (Like I have on my Outback Sport). This would get air to the intercooler and vent the engine bay from both sides. Air/Fuel ratios would be hella lean on my car since they were spot on, on a stock exhaust, on MonkyeWrench's RAV4. I am already leaning out now with my dual exhaust setup and intake. I know what injectors to get for even more fuel if needed. My only concern would be ignition timing. Will talk to my mechanic (Talking to R9K now about it).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts