Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depending on who is looking at your transmission will dictate how it will be fixed. A good transmission shop visit maybe in order. Here are some things that could go wrong with our U760F, 760E, 660F, and 660E. It could be a cheaper valve body issue. Here again better fluid filtration will help the fluid particulate wear on solenoids and switching valves. Changing the factory fill early that is loaded with the higher factory fill break-in, that has a higher particulate count from clutch pack debris then the same miles driven on a fully changed out transmission fluid that has already had the full amount of the first fill changed.

Start at Page 13 on this PDF.

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/resources/issues/130493019807896000.pdf

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have no idea what problem with tranny you are talking about. I've not seen or heard of issues other than rare where there are widespread problems we all have to go check for. No thanks, mine's working fine. Also that download looks like you are selling something?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea what problem with tranny you are talking about. I've not seen or heard of issues other than rare where there are widespread problems we all have to go check for. No thanks, mine's working fine. Also that download looks like you are selling something?

A PDF from an transmission industry magazine, it's information for future use. You don't need to check anything. Just good info to remember if you are having issues later on with high miles. I think there was someone on 4.2 board that had an issue that could very well be a valve body and they went with a junk yard trans and rolled the dice. I know when I was looking at Mazda CX5s and they had trans issues the first couple years they were replacing valve body's to fix the problem. Granted they were newer and lower miles, but like the article stated this is what trans shops are seeing with these specific Toyota transmissions. Better to have the info and save $3,000 to $4000.

Too many times the dealer or other repair shops go the fast easy and expensive way to the determent of the customer. I saw this on a regular basis with my customers in my Audi repair business. They would come in give me an estimate that they need this and they need that, from the dealer and they really did not need it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm convinced now you work for Redline Oil or some other interest group as you've been pushing everyone to change their Toyota WS ATF with Redline ATF. Calling Toyota WS ATF a money grab, even though it's cheaper than Redline ATF.

What other reason can there be for you to start another random thread on this subject? >:D

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
There is no mention of Redline anything in this thread or the PDF other than yours Vila.

·
Registered
342 Posts
There is no mention of Redline anything in this thread or the PDF other than yours Vila.
It was in multiple other threads. This is just very strange to start a thread out of nothing suggesting to change even your new ATF.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Odd? Perhaps so but rule breaking? No.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You are right, flooding internet forums with fear mongering, bad advice, and thinly veiled product promotions is not against the rules.

Only not veiled product promotions are against the rules.

p.s. while doing some research on this subject for another thread that Mainia got locked when he flew off the rails with insults, I found many other suspiciously similar posts on other forums that push for Redline and Valvoline ATF changes for no good reason.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It was in multiple other threads. This is just very strange to start a thread out of nothing suggesting to change even your new ATF.
Exactly. Look at the opening statement without any background to issues this is posted.

"Depending on who is looking at your transmission will dictate how it will be fixed"

What does that even mean? Who is looking at "your" transmission and for what problem? And this problem will change if i take it to someone else no matter what? :confused:

Then I was hoping for some explanation in that download and that only made matters worse for understanding what information and for what actual issue is being given here?

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
The PDF is little more than a series of huge trades sales pitches accompanied by some technical info apparently designed to attempt to lend credibility. Employs some "scare" tactics. Not much which is useful for the general public.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Who is looking at "your" transmission and for what problem?
Lubricant companies and transmission shops are looking at your transmission.

And the problem is you are not buying new ATF, and your transmission is not broken. By buying a Toyota you are killing jobs. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Lubricant companies and transmission shops are looking at your transmission.

And the problem is you are not buying new ATF, and your transmission is not broken. By buying a Toyota you are killing jobs. :D
I guess. And since you don't need a tranny service, they don't get the chance to squirt oil on my shocks while it's on the rack, and tell me they are leaking and all need to be replaced. More lost $$ . :wink

·
Registered
132 Posts
This might be for the reason we lost our dipstick on our transmissions because people with misinformation drain the factory transmission oil out, fill it up with some snake oil, transmission burns up after X miles, then Toyota is on the hook and takes a hit on their reputation. Unlike motor oil, transmission fluid is a very precise ingredient to work properly and reliably.

It's no wonder manufacturers are making it harder and harder to work on their cars. :crying

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This might be for the reason we lost our dipstick on our transmissions because people with misinformation drain the factory transmission oil out, fill it up with some snake oil, transmission burns up after X miles, then Toyota is on the hook and takes a hit on their reputation. Unlike motor oil, transmission fluid is a very precise ingredient to work properly and reliably.

It's no wonder manufacturers are making it harder and harder to work on their cars. :crying
Yes, you are right, transmission oil is important, but very precise. Not really. Just and base stock and an add-pack. Nothing really special. Start with an excellent/robust group 4/5 ester base stock that can take sustained high heat and has the excellent cleaning and anti-varnishing properties that make it a number one choice for an excellent ATF. Against a substandard choice base stock group 2/3 mineral oil that is a cracked hydrocarbon refined oil not used for for a sustained high heat application. A sustained high heat in a group 2/3 can be as short as 4 minutes. That is why you don't want a a substandard group 2/3 semi-synthetic that WS is. A great group 4/5 ester (POE) or even a lesser group 4 (PAO) is far superior then Toyota's substandard group2/3. Since you have read all my other posts on other sites you know that I work with a retired Allison transmission fluid engineer who worked with Castrol to design their full synthetic AFT, and is known as the Godfather of the Allison automatic transmission. He is on the DoD and GM boards for ATF issues and was key in saving the Abrams battle tank transmission by adding a 4 -8 micron filtration system because high particulate counts were destroying the trans early. He now owns the oil analysis firm I use at work. We have talked over many times on OEM ATF and how their is nothing special about OEM fluid, many times just plain not up to any hard use. He said he use to go on the oil boards to help people out, but found too many haters who were telling him he was wrong. Go figure....

Then add working with a R&D industrial oil chemist that designs oils for a boutique oil company whose oil I use at work, I have spent many calls talking advanced oil problems with him. Bringing up these exact automotive issues where he has some knowledge being the main oil designer. My opinions are from what I would say are multiple long conversations on this exact issue with both these top teir oil engineers. Robust ATF. Sorry guys, you don't know, what you don't know. Why do say I this...... because you say that about me, yet you are dead wrong. Pile on boys.

Understanding the Differences in Base Oil Groups

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only thing I personally agree with is changing your oils far more than what the manufacturer suggests as the oil carries all the dirt and debris in it and wash it around all the time wearing everything it comes in contact with.....everything benefits from fresh new oil, as long as it is the correct oils....oil threads are notorious for flame ups as many swear by what they believe is right and correct. I have rebuilt many many KLR 650 engines and the amount of crud that is hidden deep within any owner's bike just because they choose to change their oils at their intervals or use dirty deisel oils to save a few bucks oer change...cheaping out never pays off I have found and have seen when oils are concerned.......Do your own research and take plenty of time to learn all you can about what is best for your specific mechanical device that requires oil to loive. As your engine's or transmission's life's blood is the oil rushing around in it. Keep it clean and fresh and you stand to keep that machine alive far longer than if you didn't do the oil changes...

Again to each their own...but i also use what many concider snake oil in my bike engine, AmesOil which is hands above the rest cost wise...but it's what i like...is it worth it, i think so...Most disagree...lol.

I ride my bike across canada and up to the arctic ocean each summer, so breaking down far from home is not an option....

Not agreeing with anyone here at all just stating what i do personally for my engines. I do not know enough about the Rav 4's issues yet. But will once i do get ours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.