Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through the forums & see a little negativity towards lifting our Rav's. and I understand it all. I've built many vehicle's before & this is just a project truck for me. so who likes the 2" metal spacers? or the 40mm spacers or the deaver springs? and I read somewhere there's also a body lift available? point is, if you have either or another setup. shoot some photos & lend your review(or your buyers remorse)

me personally think 1.5"-3" is plenty, I'm running 245/65/17 and bought 1.5" & 2" spacers to get the look I want.. kinda going for my own "dune buggy" look. I understand the unibody issues & wearing your CV joints. so no need to remind unless someone else asks obviously.

So all my Rav fam, let's see some
LIFTED PHOTOS
PARTS PHOTOS
IN PROGRESS SHOTS
DIRECT LINKS FOR PARTS
REVIEWS OR INPUT - 馃憤 OR 馃憥

on just one simple thread instead of everyone just saying "read this forum first" because I've done that. and yes after reading everything I could find for 2 day's, I'm just gonna make my own post then.

Registered
We just lifted our rav with king springs and kyb shocks and struts. Turned out great! Rides awesome. Perfect height. Now need to get new tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
nlindemer - hey I know it鈥檚 been a couple months... but, I鈥檓 interested in doing the same thing. Could you share the specific parts and where you bought them as well as cost$? THANK YOU nlind

Registered
We just lifted our rav with king springs and kyb shocks and struts. Turned out great! Rides awesome. Perfect height. Now need to get new tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
nlindemer - hey I know it鈥檚 been a couple months... but, I鈥檓 interested in doing the same thing. Could you share the specific parts and where you bought them as well as cost$? THANK YOU nlind
I鈥檇 also like some more specifics on your perspective on the handling. Helps me make some decisions. 馃榾

Registered
Hey folks,
sorry I don't get online much these days but we really like it still. It handles great and rides nice! I even hauled a flat bed tandem axle trailer (empty) and it really did much better than I expected. (we were in kind of a pinch hahaha) but it hauls the duck boat and the dogs really well. The only complaint that i have so far is that I did not replace the rubber insulators on the spring perches and one of them tore so its noisy. I used KYB accel g struts and King springs. Ill have to try and dig up the part numbers for you folks tho.

Registered
My lift has a story, so I鈥檒l share it here - I needed to move a few things with a flatbed trailer, so I added a Uhaul 2鈥 hitch. The hitch also allowed me to add the 4-bike Thule carrier. The only small problem was - going over speed humps the 10鈥 flatbed trailer scraped going over. The only other small problem was that the Thule bike rack sticks out from the car to extend beyond our full size spare and now I couldn鈥檛 put it on in the driveway without it scraping on the asphalt pulling out of our 25掳 driveway. So, I started researching. At this point, you start trying to decide... am I going to keep my 2010 Toyota RAV4 (V6) or cashout and get something more suitable. I decided I鈥檓 sticking with the 4.3, great engineering, great engine, very few problems with her (replaced a few batteries, an alternator, an oxygen sensor- but, over 9-years that鈥檚 not bad.) So, I looked at the options, I wanted to buy the kit from Colorado Mountain Rally, but, his site no longer accepts payments, for any products, 2鈥 lift, nor camber kit. So, I kept looking. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos. Interestingly, it seems that a bunch of Russians have lifted their RAV4s so, I was not shocked when the only kits available are on eBay from Russia. So, I bought the 40mm lift off eBay, and had it ship expedited.

Now the fun part. So, I asked 2 different shops, but, neither of the first 2 shops I talked to (4WheelParts, NTB) would do the work. 4WP said they couldn鈥檛 install something they didn鈥檛 sell you, [Note: they don鈥檛 sell a lift kit for the 4.3, although there is a lift kit by Readylift for the 4.4.] NTB said there鈥檚 no kit for the 4.3 and wouldn鈥檛 be willing to add the spacers because they refuse to take on the liability. So, finally I found a shop willing to do the work. I negotiated in reverse order. Precision Tune Auto Care on N Lamar in Austin, TX finally helped me out - thanks Elmer! First, I asked how much to install the spacers. He gave me a price. Then how much for the shocks, he gave me a price, and then the struts. We were able to keep the same springs.

So, here鈥檚 where things were a little tricky. The replacement bolts and nuts included with the lift kit spacers had a spline that was slightly smaller than the strut mount opening. So, I went to the bolt shop - but, his bolts were not the right type, no spline. I am now told these are stove bolts. Anyhow, at A-Line Autoparts I was able to find 2-1/8鈥 bolts with a 0.47鈥 spline. It would have been better if they were 3鈥. So, since the bolts were a bit short for the front spacer, I have to take the front spacers to a machine shop. I had the machine shop cut off about 1/2鈥 off the spacers, sectioning the metal reinforced rubber in two. I returned with the parts and after 3-days in the shop, getting replacement bolts/nuts, sectioning with front spacer. We realized that the rear shock (now 2鈥 longer) was not a perfect fit, so, they had to squeeze the metal framing to tightly hold the new Monroe shock.

The increased height means that when lifted, (with no pressure on the tires, the rear shock can touch the axle rod.) But, in real road conditions with 3,500lbs of load they are spaced apart and move freely and would never touch. The only way you could make them touch out in the world would be to go airborne. The ride quality was immediately better, but, I felt a little shuddering so I took it back 3-days later and they simply needed to tighten the controls arms and the bolts on the rear shock where the metal framing had been corrected.

The ride feels good now.

Based on all the research I did, I decided to go with the 245/65R17 tire. I wanted something that can actually eat some rocks and dirt, so I wanted to get the Goodyear Adventure All Terrain T/A with Kevlar, but those are DISCONTINUED.

So, I finally settled on the BF Goodrich T/A KO2. I am a happy camper.

Registered
Installed the same Russian 1.5" kit on my 06 4cyl, didn't have to do any of the other stuff you did tho, and am actually planning on putting the exact same tires on. Do they rub anywhere?

Registered
I was looking into lifts as well to fix my hitch clearance issues (steep driveway) but decided to go a different path. I ended up modifying my Curt 2" hitch receiver to get the extra clearance I needed. I didn't cut the bumper, it is just flexed out of the way with some rubber between the plastic and the receiver. I now have enough clearance to pull into the drive way with my bike rack mounted where previously the receiver would actually hit the street. Hopefully this helps others with their low hitch receiver issues.

Attachments

Registered
I reached out to Readylift and they sent me one of their kits. It fits the 4.3 models perfectly with no modifications required. I will have a video of the install soon. This is the best option because includes sway bar end link relocation brackets so it handles so much better than a spacer alone. Also, the rear is a subframe spacer so the stock CV angles are maintained for the rear. DISCLAIMER!!! If you lift I highly recommended getting adjustable rear toe arms, otherwise you will handle like crap. I鈥檓 going to run 18鈥檚 and that limits tire selection, I can fit 245 60 r18 no problem but there are no All Terrains in that size at this time, 235 60r18 is smaller but tire selection and price is wayyyyyyyyyy better. I picked up some Arturo鈥檚, got one mounted today to test fit everything. The Readylift kit has a lot of engineering behind it and their recommended alignment specs made the ride way smoother after I got rid of the fixed toe arms. Also, you could probably stack the Readylift with the spring lift, but it wouldn鈥檛 increase max travel and it would ride rough.

Registered
I have the Northwoods kit now and I like it better
Hi there - can I ask what you prefer about the Northwood's kit vs the ReadyLift kit specifically?

And did you do a full replacement (including shocks), or just the springs kit? ($400 vs $1k-ish)

Any negatives/disadvantages you've experienced since lifting your RAV4?

I am considering lifting my 2010 Rav4 as the tow hitch keeps getting slammed on fire roads and the hitch can't clear my steep driveway. Based on your prior posts and video, I was about to order the ReadyLift kit - but it sounds like I should hold off and consider Northwoods instead?

My Rav4 just hit 110k miles, so it's about time to replace the shocks anyway - and I already installed aftermarket adjustable LCA's - so I'm thinking I might as well do the lift at the same time I replace the shocks.

Thanks in advance! And thank you for sharing all your info/experience with Rav4 mods. Much appreciated.

Registered
I saw your video and I fell in love with the idea. I'm hoping to do the same thing next spring. However I need to replace my suspension soon and I am wondering what you did for struts and shocks. Did you buy aftermarket or OEM? I'm sorry if I sound very noobish. I am new to all of this and am trying to learn as much as I can!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts