Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw your video and I fell in love with the idea. I'm hoping to do the same thing next spring. However I need to replace my suspension soon and I am wondering what you did for struts and shocks. Did you buy aftermarket or OEM? I'm sorry if I sound very noobish. I am new to all of this and am trying to learn as much as I can!
I am wondering the same thing!

It looks like Northwoods Performance provides Lift Kit package options that include the struts and shocks. You can choose how high-end you want to go (KYB/Monroe vs Bilstein) and they email you after you order to confirm if you have a v6 or 4 cylinder. Unfortunately they don't list the part #'s on their site, so I don't yet know if you save money by buying their kits with shocks and struts vs buying them separately via your local installer (the latter may be better for warranty purposes).

I emailed Northwoods over the weekend and they were super responsive. Get in touch with them if you have questions. I might follow up to ask for the part numbers for the shocks and struts.

Personally I'd prefer it if the Northwoods kit had more users and miles under its belt before I pull the trigger. I've read horror stories about some lift kits... I'm not sure how difficult/expensive it it to remove the lift kit if I run into problems down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I reached out to Readylift and they sent me one of their kits. It fits the 4.3 models perfectly with no modifications required. I will have a video of the install soon. This is the best option because includes sway bar end link relocation brackets so it handles so much better than a spacer alone. Also, the rear is a subframe spacer so the stock CV angles are maintained for the rear. DISCLAIMER!!! If you lift I highly recommended getting adjustable rear toe arms, otherwise you will handle like crap. I’m going to run 18’s and that limits tire selection, I can fit 245 60 r18 no problem but there are no All Terrains in that size at this time, 235 60r18 is smaller but tire selection and price is wayyyyyyyyyy better. I picked up some Arturo’s, got one mounted today to test fit everything. The Readylift kit has a lot of engineering behind it and their recommended alignment specs made the ride way smoother after I got rid of the fixed toe arms. Also, you could probably stack the Readylift with the spring lift, but it wouldn’t increase max travel and it would ride rough.

I am wondering the same thing!

It looks like Northwoods Performance provides Lift Kit package options that include the struts and shocks. You can choose how high-end you want to go (KYB/Monroe vs Bilstein) and they email you after you order to confirm if you have a v6 or 4 cylinder. Unfortunately they don't list the part #'s on their site, so I don't yet know if you save money by buying their kits with shocks and struts vs buying them separately via your local installer (the latter may be better for warranty purposes).

I emailed Northwoods over the weekend and they were super responsive. Get in touch with them if you have questions. I might follow up to ask for the part numbers for the shocks and struts.

Personally I'd prefer it if the Northwoods kit had more users and miles under its belt before I pull the trigger. I've read horror stories about some lift kits... I'm not sure how difficult/expensive it it to remove the lift kit if I run into problems down the road.
Honestly Northwoods is definitely more than I would like to spend. I am mostly interested in finding out if I can still use my OEM struts and shocks along with the ready lift spacers and movable tow bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought you said you need to replace your struts and shocks? That is one of the more expensive maintenance items for a RAV4 unfortunately. If you do need to replace them but would prefer to use OEM parts, just shoot Northwoods an email and ask them if their lift kit is compatible with OEM struts and shocks. I imagine it is. Please share their response : )

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought you said you need to replace your struts and shocks? That is one of the more expensive maintenance items for a RAV4 unfortunately. If you do need to replace them but would prefer to use OEM parts, just shoot Northwoods an email and ask them if their lift kit is compatible with OEM struts and shocks. I imagine it is. Please share their response : )
That's is true however I am able to get with military discount I am able to get the OEM struts and shocks through the base at 85 percent off. 110 dollars to replace my whole suspension.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's is true however I am able to get with military discount I am able to get the OEM struts and shocks through the base at 85 percent off. 110 dollars to replace my whole suspension.
That's awesome. Thank you for your service!

If you have a v6 would you mind sharing the OEM part numbers for struts and shocks? I went to compare OEM vs aftermarket.

Most posts I have seen say that the OEM shocks provide the best ride and durability..
Though I don't know if that still applies if you install a lift kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's awesome. Thank you for your service!

If you have a v6 would you mind sharing the OEM part numbers for struts and shocks? I went to compare OEM vs aftermarket.

Most posts I have seen say that the OEM shocks provide the best ride and durability..
Though I don't know if that still applies if you install a lift kit.
Haha thanks but it's actually my father who is the servicemen. Been in for 18 years. They allow family to receive the same discounts which is awesome it would be ridiculous not to utilize that benefit. As far as ride quality everything that I have read so far explains that you just need to stay away from fixed tow bars as they will put more tension on the springs when you raise the vehicle than what is configured to OEM specifications on the cam. However, I'm still skeptical which is why I would like to know more about the struts and shocks he is using. 😅

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there - can I ask what you prefer about the Northwood's kit vs the ReadyLift kit specifically?

And did you do a full replacement (including shocks), or just the springs kit? ($400 vs $1k-ish)

Any negatives/disadvantages you've experienced since lifting your RAV4?

I am considering lifting my 2010 Rav4 as the tow hitch keeps getting slammed on fire roads and the hitch can't clear my steep driveway. Based on your prior posts and video, I was about to order the ReadyLift kit - but it sounds like I should hold off and consider Northwoods instead?

My Rav4 just hit 110k miles, so it's about time to replace the shocks anyway - and I already installed aftermarket adjustable LCA's - so I'm thinking I might as well do the lift at the same time I replace the shocks.

Thanks in advance! And thank you for sharing all your info/experience with Rav4 mods. Much appreciated.
That's crazy for 2"!! A full sized truck costs 6-800 for a full lift with components.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's crazy for 2"!! A full sized truck costs 6-800 for a full lift with components.
They do have a $900 version including struts and shocks, but they are lower quality parts. The struts come pre-assembled with the springs, so labor should be pretty cheap... It's a lot of money but doesn't seem crazy for all four wheels? I don't see any other options for a lift kit with struts and shocks?

·
Registered
46 Posts
They do have a $900 version including struts and shocks, but they are lower quality parts. The struts come pre-assembled with the springs, so labor should be pretty cheap... It's a lot of money but doesn't seem crazy for all four wheels? I don't see any other options for a lift kit with struts and shocks?
I could justify that price, if the kit included the swaybard relocate brackets and toe bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I could justify that price, if the kit included the swaybard relocate brackets and toe bars.
Does it require sway bar relocation brackets? I didn't see any mention of that in the installation instructions, but perhaps I missed it.

Thankfully I already have adjustable toe arms.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bilstein b6 shocks or struts are about $100 a corner. The north woods kit costs an additional $1000 if you want them to purchase the shocks and put them together lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know which model Bilstein shocks Northwoods is including with the B6 kit? Bilstein doesn't list any B6 that fits the Gen3... I'm guessing that they're fitting the shocks and struts from the 2013+ models? Does anyone have experience with this? Does it require any modification?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know which model Bilstein shocks Northwoods is including with the B6 kit? Bilstein doesn't list any B6 that fits the Gen3... I'm guessing that they're fitting the shocks and struts from the 2013+ models? Does anyone have experience with this? Does it require any modification?
Just shoot Nortwoods an email directly. They are very responsive.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice! How's the ride, and how much was the installation?
Installation was $250 for my friend who spent the day in his garage doing it. Ride is pretty good, though there is a little body roll now which is to be expected. My shocks were shot though so my perspective of the dampening will be biased

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just finished installing the Torq Engineering 2" kit without any issues, took 2 hours and no surprises or special tools. Could'nt be more happy with the results, ride & kit quality etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just finished installing the Torq Engineering 2" kit without any issues, took 2 hours and no surprises or special tools. Could'nt be more happy with the results, ride & kit quality etc.
Do you have a link? I cannot find the 3rd Gen on that website.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts