Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Genuine Toyota Tow Receiver Hitch

Yours! And installed! For the low-low price of $820!! Only $750 if you already have the Tow Prep package... :? :shock: :? :shock: :!: :shock: :?:

(taken from the RAV4 ebrochure)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What the hell :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:. Now Toyota is reeeeaaaally pushing it. I think they're gonna scare away the mid class people and attract more of the wealthy ones :shock: :?.

C

·
0 Posts
:shock: I agree! My salesman just called me a few days ago and told me the price and that I should not get it through the dealer even at cost.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Well wait a sec... I don't have the brochure in front of me but the tow package comes with oil cooler and something else besides just the hitch.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
schwartzy1 said:
This is prolly a really dumb question...but im going to ask anyway...what is a tow hitch for??? is that the only way you can connect a trailer or bike rack to the car??
Yes... for towing trailers and/or connectiong a bike rack to the rear. You could go with a ROOF MOUNT bike rack, but some people find it too awkward to lift their bikes up onto the roof. (Some RAVers are able to get their bikes to fit INSIDE the vehicle.)

purduealum91 said:
What would be the preferred drop height of the ball? 2", 4" or 6"?
Depends on what you are towing. Whatever it takes to make the trailer being towed fairly LEVEL. My guestimate for most allaround towing would be 2".

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
from the Toyota website..

Tow Prep Package [8] (V6 models only) with 3500-lb. towing capacity – includes upgraded radiator, fan coupling, and alternator

inlets said:
Anybody know if an oil cooler comes w/ the tow prep package?

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... Might have solved at least some of the mystery... Seeing as how you can get the real Toyota hitch for $383.20 and the wiring harness for $111.20 (now $494.40 + shipping), the balance must simply be labor. (But it's still overpriced! :evil: )

If you take a look at the European tow hitch and wiring harness installation instructions (PDF documents) you'll understand why -- it's insane what you have to do! Must take a whole day! Dissassemble the bumper cover, run wiring almost the full length of the vehicle... You'd think there'd be an easier way... :shock:

C

·
0 Posts
Well, the Euro towbar is in no way comparable to the North American version. The NA one should be a simple bolt-on. Wiring harness may be similar, dunno. For $112+labor, I think I'll do my own wiring, thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Wiring Harness Installation

I got my sales manager to agree to buy the harness for me. The part number is 08921-42900 which is the same one as the website. Oh my, it looks to be a monster to install. Goes from the front of the car to the back. It has 7 plugs on the main harness, then a shorter one that actually goes to the lights. Looks like maybe it replaces the original wiring harness for the rear lights with on that has the additional plug for the trailer lights. There is a "owner's manual" that came with the kit, but no way is this an installation manual. Anyone have a pdf of the installation manual - please? The pdf of the European installation of few posts back will be of some help. One thing that the manual says that this installation has is a "ACC" function that allows the system to be reset in the trailer circuit amperage is exceeded. That could be useful since in previous vehicle I replaced fuses a number of times after backing the boat trailer into the water with the lights still connected ;o) Are there any better alternatives to this wiring harness, or should I bite the bullet and install this one?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the same wiring harness on order so I would really like a copy of the installation instructions as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took a look at the installation guides for Toyota's two US tow hitches and yes, they involve removing the rear bumper cover.

Both also require temporarily detaching a muffler mount... And firmly attaching the tow hitch to the chassis and holding its parts together is exactly 29 bolts (P/N PT228-42060 -- the lighter-duty "Vehicles without a tow package" version, P/N PT228-42061, has 20 only bolts). :shock:

For comparison, the Euro hitch has 26 bolts, but much a better documented and illustrated installation guide.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm looking to get an aftermarket hitch and probably the factory harness. I thought there were only 4 bolts that held the hitch to the frame and it didn't require removing the exhaust. Now for the harness, do you have a copy of the installation instructions? I figure for the price that the dealer is charging they will get me a copy of the instructions but I wouldn't mind a copy to look at before I take the plunge.

Thanks
Tim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts