Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I hope I dont confuse anyone. But everyone knows about onstar with GMC where they can unlock your car should you leave your keys in it.

I believe on higher models on suv/cars if leaving key by mistake inside the car does not lock. On my 03 honda you could not lock the car if the key was in the car or ignition.

But on my base LE 13yr model I made the mistake of locking the keys in my suv DUH!. I quickly got spare and unlock. So can anyone tell me if there is a system either thru toyota or a third party that works like onstar. Where if I should lock keys in car again and am not able to get to spare key. I could contact this third party and they unlock my car by sending a signal to the suv to open the doors?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The cheapest solution is to get a plain non-chipped key made for $2. It will unlock the doors but will not start the car. You can keep it in your wallet or hide it somewhere out of sight on the car in case you lock yourself out. It has saved me.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 10150 miles

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
You can also get a credit card key to keep in your wallet:

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
AAA issues them, they have to be cut just like a duplicate key.

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
Both of our cars came with them......wonder where they are???

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AAA issues them, they have to be cut just like a duplicate key.

Credit Card Key - YouTube
Update my local AAA had no idea what I was talking about a credit card key to just open the door. Maybe at one point they did this, maybe still do, mine does not. Does not mean its not still done, maybe they just are not aware. In any event no biggie. Will try local key smith. thanks

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Update my local AAA had no idea what I was talking about a credit card key to just open the door. Maybe at one point they did this, maybe still do, mine does not. Does not mean its not still done, maybe they just are not aware. In any event no biggie. Will try local key smith. thanks
Your local locksmith should have them. This guy says the AAA gave him a key for free as part of the membership:

http://www.wiredatom.com/blog/2005/07/27/plastic-key-to-the-rescue/

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about a security system such as this https://www.viper.com/smartstart/

It allows you to use your smart phone to lock or unlock your car from anywhere. It does require a service plan but it's not that bad of a price. I have no clue how much the system itself costs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about a security system such as this https://www.viper.com/smartstart/

It allows you to use your smart phone to lock or unlock your car from anywhere. It does require a service plan but it's not that bad of a price. I have no clue how much the system itself costs.
Hmmm looks interesting maybe will check it out. Also AAA told me that in most cases they can open a new car (really). I thought most new cars are hard to open cause the way lock designed now. Still AAA member next time might try them. But for now will contact locksmith. thanks for all info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm looks interesting maybe will check it out. Also AAA told me that in most cases they can open a new car (really). I thought most new cars are hard to open cause the way lock designed now. Still AAA member next time might try them. But for now will contact locksmith. thanks for all info.
Yes they can open your car they use plastic wedges (like this Rigid Plastic Window Wedge - B/A Products Co. | AW Direct ) Or an airbag ( like this Inflatable Air Wedge | AW Direct) and then reach in with a hook type thing and hit the unlock button. It can damage your door and they make you sign a waiver that if anything breaks they don't have to fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The cheapest solution is to get a plain non-chipped key made for $2. It will unlock the doors but will not start the car. You can keep it in your wallet or hide it somewhere out of sight on the car in case you lock yourself out. It has saved me.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 10150 miles
This is a great idea but I locked my purse in there also. Is there a magnetic place on the car someplace
to hid this cut key or card that you can recommend?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts