Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have RAV4 2013 limited. Thanks to you I just updated to 5.2.0. All the menu look the same. I was wondering if anyone tried to install the higher year model software e.g. download the 2016 software and install on 2014?
Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Any update that isn't for your model won't even install.

It looks like 5.2.0 is the end of the updates for the 2013 (which I also have).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. One more question!

One more question. I updated the software but it seems the GPS data is still old. Do you know how we can update that?
Thanks !

·
Premium Member
7,842 Posts
Not sure on Canadian Rav4s, but the nav update SD Cards for mine are only available from the dealer in the US, $130-$180 depending on the dealer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Map updates are separate from Entune updates.

The 2013 model has an internal hard drive that the maps are loaded onto from a CD/DVD.

I received an email in December 2016 saying a map update was available for purchase. I did research with the Parts department to determine what year these maps would be. After reassurances that I would be getting the most current maps I made the purchase. On the way home from the dealership it became obvious that these were no where near the most current maps I had experienced in the 2017 model RAV4 (2016 maps). Sure enough the sleeve for the CD/DVD stated 2015.

After I complained I was given a refund for the maps and installation charge.

It is a huge pain to update the maps on the 2013 RAV4. Later models have an sd card that just needs to be swapped out and registered which is a much easier way to update the maps. The service department had to keep my engine running for the entire 1.5 hours it took for the maps to transfer from the CD/DVD to the internal hard drive.

I'm not sure I will ever update the maps again because it was such a huge PITA.

The Honda CRV is really tempting to me; it has Android Auto and Garmin maps with free updates for five years. Unless or until Toyota updates their infotainment system to include Android Auto I will not be buying another Toyota product.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yep, there are basically 3 types of updates.

Map updates on SD, not free.

Firmware updates (5.2.x) free TSB under warranty, labor charge out of warranty - these are generally bug fixes (system randomly shutting down, locking up, etc...)

OTA Entune updates. These are downloaded through your phone when available if you connect via Bluetooth and have the Entune app installed. These updates generally add, change, or fix problems with the entune apps... sometimes it's just an icon change.

The screens, buttons, and features of the system itself *could* be changed through the Firmware updates, but I've never seen a difference on either the '15 Rav or '16 Corolla.
There have been changes to the operating system on later model head units, but each one has a specific part number and, as Zooks said, the incorrect rev won't install (it would brick the system if it were forced)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have RAV4 2013 limited. Thanks to you I just updated to 5.2.0. All the menu look the same. I was wondering if anyone tried to install the higher year model software e.g. download the 2016 software and install on 2014?
Thanks
Does anyone still have their zip from the 2013 Rav4 Limited? It is no longer on the toyota website, and I need to update :frown
Or you have the zip file name, I can at least search for it online

1 - 10 of 10 Posts