Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 50 Watt solar panel on the roof, work takes me away at times for months at a time and I didn't want the battery to go dead.

I also installed a Pulsetech PowerPulse Battery Maintenance System (amazon.com) to keep my battery in top shape. The system ensures peak battery performance by eliminating the main cause of lead-acid battery problems and failure-sulfation buildup on battery plates.

Photos to follow.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts for the solar panel project:
- 1 ea - HQST 50W Solar Panel 12V 50 Watts Lightweight for Yacht Boat RV Battery Marine (ebay.com)
- 1 ea - HQST 10Amp PWM Smart Charge Controller LCD Display Solar Panel Battery Regulator (ebay.com)
- 1 ea - Mighty Max 12V 500 watt pure sine wave inverter for solar application (ebay.com)

Photos

The solar controller is in the right side rear compartment

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,518 Posts
That's very cool! Does it work with AGM batteries? I wonder how long it would take to charge up my Chevy Volt? :)

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's very cool! Does it work with AGM batteries? I wonder how long it would take to charge up my Chevy Volt? :)
Yes, it works with AGM batteries. I can charge a cell phone or tablet on it as well.

Probably 200 or so years as long as you live in a desert.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you mount the solar panel on your roof? Is it atop your sunroof?
While I had the headliner out to replace the headliner material, sound deadening material, roof rack, xm radio antenna, and overhead console I installed the panel.
- I carefully measured to center it up
- Drilled 4 holes through the roof where the reinforcing grommets are on the solar panel
- Used black RTV to seal those holes and applied it to the entire back side of the panel
- I put the panel in place squeezing out the air bubbles, this is a flexible solar panel
- Installed 4 stainless steel screws and put RTV on the interior side of the roof as well as all around the screw heads on the top of the roof to ensure a good seal
- Drilled 2 each 1/2" holes for the wiring
- Placed rubber grommets in the holes and pulled the wires through. If I were to do it over I would use a solar cable entry gland for the pass through. I also applied RTV on both sides of the wiring
- Routed the wires to the solar controller and on to the battery.

I don't have a sunroof.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I labeled the photo that I installed the solar controller in the rear right side compartment, that was my civilian right I guess, it's actually in the rear left side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts