Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1996 Toyota Rav4 2-door, 4 cylinder, 5-SPEED MANUAL transmission & AWD. It’s RUST-FREE, has 166,xxx miles, new Kumho tires on the factory Italian-made OZ wheels (I rotate all five wheels), twin sunroofs, power steering, brakes, windows, door locks & mirrors, A/C works well, cruise control, and it even has the original AM/FM stereo with cassette (will include a John Denver cassette tape with purchase!). It does have an aftermarket bull bar and a Weathertech hood protector thing.

It’s in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition, and I consistently get almost 25mpg in my daily commute to work, and got a high of 36mpg on the drive here from Seattle, WA (where I bought the car about two years ago). BUT - it uses a quart of oil every 300 miles (every fill-up). It burns it cleanly: no smokey startups, no smoke, no oil mist on the rear of the car, no puddles on the garage floor. I decided it was a lot less complicated to add a quart than to rebuild the engine.

But it IS a dependable, unique, rust-free Toyota that will provide fun transportation for another 166,xxx miles. Write if you’d like more details, I’ll be happy to fill you in with honest and thorough descriptions. Include your phone number and I’ll call or text depending on your preference.

Might be able to deliver for expenses (I'm in Saint Louis, Missouri).

$4,000 is the lowest I can go - I know it's not a steal. Sorry.

TRav Back Left.jpeg
TRav Left.jpeg
TRav FrontLeft.jpeg
TRav Rear.jpeg
TRav Engine Bay.jpeg
TRav Interior:Twin Roofs.jpeg
9062D9C0-A341-425F-A822-686824EEA314.jpeg
TRav Rear Seats Up.jpeg
TRav Interior Left.jpeg
TRav Interior Right.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
MAN, would I love to own one of these cute little yutes! And the price is probably fair especially for a rust free one. And I could do all the rebuild/upgrade work. BUT I don't need ANOTHER project. Nor do I need a divorce, so I'll have to pass.

·
Registered
932 Posts
This is a really good price for these - for anyone interested.

Free bump. GLWS!

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
Just wondering...
What happened to the driver seat? Did you buy it like that, or did you change it ?
What happened to the rear sunroof ?
Wheels look nice, did they come like that or did you have them painted?
Was the car re-painted?
Any maintenance records, i.e. timing belt, water pump, etc.?
Do you have a history report - Carfax or Autocheck?
How much mileage did you put on it since you have owned it?
Was oil consumption issue there when you bought, or did it start after?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Doc! Glad your priorities are in the right place... my sale is closely related to your motives
Lowcountry - thanks! Getting LOTS of inquiries.
DJ Sueno - will reply later tonight to allow for thorough answers. - annnnnd here the answers are:
  • when the car arrived from Seattle, i realized that the seats were from a 4-door Rav4. I got lucky and found a 2-door going to junkyard and nabbed all 4 seats. Haven't had time to put on that fourth seat cover (driver's seat). Will obviously be included.
  • at first I thought the black finish was an original replacement part non-painted flat black? ...but the underside is red. No idea. (neither of them leak!)
  • I bought the rims from the owner (but two were bent at hub - found two more at ******'s Salvage in WA) and painted them black. I like the black look better.
  • I think many of the panels have been painted at different times throughout its life.
  • I'm afraid i rec'd NO records, but there's evidence of the clutch having been replaced (it's strong and no slippage, easy to push pedal) (but the evidence lies in the apparently previously separated tranny from block) and i think i remember evidence of the timing belt having been replaced - might be able to find more evidence soon.
  • I have a Carfax on it - can't find it right now, but i think it had 5 owners? And no salvage title ever. It started out in Nebraska, then migrated out west, which explains the lack of rust.
  • I've put about 10,000 or 15,000 miles on it with my daily drive to work. Never stranded me. Replaced both rear differential mounts and valve cover gasket, tuneup, tried to figure out that oil problem (good compression on all cylinders), put better brakes/rotors and Philips Extreme Vision bulbs in, those new Kumhos with the rims (excellent snow traction!), put those seats in (3/4 of them, anyway), about to replace the rear motor mount...
  • I did not know that the engine burned oil until the drive home from Seattle. It must have been like that for some time. But even after the two-thousand mile drive, it didn't have any misty coating on the back of the car... it burns the oil pretty completely! No puddles on garage floor, no smokey startups or smoke while driving... haven't tried Lucas Oil Treatment but tried Auto Rx, BG44, Sea Foam (tried all throughout the first year of ownership).

I'm not interested in tricking anyone into buying this car - which is why i'm detailing the Bad and the Ugly and not so much focusing on the Good. I don't want ANYONE to be surprised with what they get. Life's too short. I'm a car enthusiast AND i've bought many cars from long distances. I have had too many incidents where I didn't realize that I didn't ask ENOUGH questions, or the RIGHT questions, or whatever - you can trust me to try to tell you everything I can so you don't have to worry about which questions not to forget.

Thanks everyone, for your support!

·
Registered
2000 RAV4.1
9 Posts
Thanks Doc! Glad your priorities are in the right place... my sale is closely related to your motives
Lowcountry - thanks! Getting LOTS of inquiries.
DJ Sueno - will reply later tonight to allow for thorough answers. - annnnnd here the answers are:
  • when the car arrived from Seattle, i realized that the seats were from a 4-door Rav4. I got lucky and found a 2-door going to junkyard and nabbed all 4 seats. Haven't had time to put on that fourth seat cover (driver's seat). Will obviously be included.
  • at first I thought the black finish was an original replacement part non-painted flat black? ...but the underside is red. No idea. (neither of them leak!)
  • I bought the rims from the owner (but two were bent at hub - found two more at **'s Salvage in WA) and painted them black. I like the black look better.
  • I think many of the panels have been painted at different times throughout its life.
  • I'm afraid i rec'd NO records, but there's evidence of the clutch having been replaced (it's strong and no slippage, easy to push pedal) (but the evidence lies in the apparently previously separated tranny from block) and i think i remember evidence of the timing belt having been replaced - might be able to find more evidence soon.
  • I have a Carfax on it - can't find it right now, but i think it had 5 owners? And no salvage title ever. It started out in Nebraska, then migrated out west, which explains the lack of rust.
  • I've put about 10,000 or 15,000 miles on it with my daily drive to work. Never stranded me. Replaced both rear differential mounts and valve cover gasket, tuneup, tried to figure out that oil problem (good compression on all cylinders), put better brakes/rotors and Philips Extreme Vision bulbs in, those new Kumhos with the rims (excellent snow traction!), put those seats in (3/4 of them, anyway), about to replace the rear motor mount...
  • I did not know that the engine burned oil until the drive home from Seattle. It must have been like that for some time. But even after the two-thousand mile drive, it didn't have any misty coating on the back of the car... it burns the oil pretty completely! No puddles on garage floor, no smokey startups or smoke while driving... haven't tried Lucas Oil Treatment but tried Auto Rx, BG44, Sea Foam (tried all throughout the first year of ownership).

I'm not interested in tricking anyone into buying this car - which is why i'm detailing the Bad and the Ugly and not so much focusing on the Good. I don't want ANYONE to be surprised with what they get. Life's too short. I'm a car enthusiast AND i've bought many cars from long distances. I have had too many incidents where I didn't realize that I didn't ask ENOUGH questions, or the RIGHT questions, or whatever - you can trust me to try to tell you everything I can so you don't have to worry about which questions not to forget.

Thanks everyone, for your support!
Hi, JSK. Is the little car still unsold? My wife has a 2000 four-door with auto and dark blue. It has 256,000 miles on it and is still running strong.
If it's still available, how do we proceed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jellyhed, thanks for writing - after a week FULL of inquiries and people coming over, someone wrote at 7:45 tonight, was here by 8:45 and drove it home by 10:00. I'm sure if it hadn't had the oil consumption issue, it would have sold MUCH faster.

Thanks all, for your support. Don't be surprised if I come back with another somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
2000 RAV4.1
9 Posts
Hi, JSK.
Have you sold the 1996 red 2-door RAV4 yet? Let me know. I'd like to buy it.
I have another RV$, a 2000 auto, a/c.
It still runs hard at 256,000 miles.
If you still have the RAV and it's still available, how do we proceed?

Jellyhed

·
Registered
2000 RAV4.1
9 Posts
Hello. That was a dramatic sale. Everyone into 2-door RAV4s
longs for such a sweetie. It's like the jackpot win for the lottery ticket.
Congrats to the winner and thanks to you for handling the sale
so smoothliy.

·
Registered
2000 RAV4.1
9 Posts
Hi Jellyhed, thanks for writing - after a week FULL of inquiries and people coming over, someone wrote at 7:45 tonight, was here by 8:45 and drove it home by 10:00. I'm sure if it hadn't had the oil consumption issue, it would have sold MUCH faster.

Thanks all, for your support. Don't be surprised if I come back with another somewhere down the road.
I'll BOLO ....
:cool:
(Be On the Look Out.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.