Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a big change, selling the vehicle that I'd driven for 155,000 miles since I bought it new in 2002, including a 35,000-mile, 18-month journey around the United States and Canada. I had good experiences with Toyota Corollas, Priuses, and Camrys in the past, so I figured I would enjoy a RAV4, particularly after I couldn't find the CRV I wanted. Basically, I just got tired of vehicle shopping, I trusted the Toyota salesman I'd contacted, and I figured I would get used to the RAV4. The RAV4 (26,000 miles when I bought it in February) is pretty, but so far I'm not truly happy with it. I like Sport mode, but the vehicle is a bit small for me, it doesn't have the practical storage that the CRV had, the multifunction display is pretty poorly organized, and the mileage is not what I expected (even in ECO mode). The worst thing is that I HATE the cruise control because it jolts at times when shifting gears and it doesn't hold on hills. (The cruise control in my CRV shifted smooth as silk in all situations.) Frankly, I'm ready to trade in the RAV4, probably for a CRV, as soon as it won't cost me another $3,000 to get a vehicle with equivalent Blue Book value. Meanwhile, this forum has already been helpful in me figuring out that the cruise control is a problem for others. Honestly, one of the Toyota dealer's service techs told me they all "hate" Toyota's cruise functions. Go figure. (PS: I figured out some vehicle functions that neither sales nor service knew how to explain!)

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Welcome (I guess)! Sorry you aren't happy with your RAV4 but your saga points out how I buy used cars. I search for exactly what I want or at least I think I do and then get a good enough price that I could sell it at no loss if I change my mind a month later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Live and learn! I won't make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Agree that at least in our situation our CR-V's cruise control is more sophisticated than that on our RAV. The RAV's control allows the vehicle to lose speed quickly on highway hills and then overcompensates by heavily advancing the throttle. That results in a surge which causes the RAV to exceed the set speed by as much as 5 mph until the road levels or enters a downgrade, which could reward the driver with a speeding ticket. Our CR-V is much better at maintaining the set speed in such situations.

Obviously a buyer should make certain that whichever vehicle they are considering will meet their needs before buying, which isn't always an easy task.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oregon coast? Someday I'll be back! I lived in Portland for 22 years, and I spent most of my free time at the coast. In fact, I wanted a newer vehicle so that I could travel cross-county without a problem, like I did five times in my CRV. Anyway, I appreciate your description of how the Toyota cruise control handles hills and throttling. I'd like to show that to the service manager who told me that he didn't find that happening in my vehicle. BTW, I now have cockroaches, literally have them, inside the vehicle. I've removed one, missed capturing the second, and shudder at the thought that there are more. I can't imagine where they came from, but it seems par for the course and a tad symbolic to me!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Hopefully you can return to Oregon reasonably soon, but please leave the cockroaches behind in Florida or wherever! :wink

I've been to Florida - obviously many people like living there, but it's not at all my "cup of tea," so to speak!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Re Sold 2002 CRV-EX, Bought 2013 RAV4-XLE

^^ Sorry Healthlynn that your Toyota 2013 Gen4 is not to to your liking / for size and poor cruise control speed changes.

I wonder if a Gen3 RAV4 with the v6 (2012 or older) or a 6 cylinder Highlander...would have fit your needs better.
- our v6 2008 Limited cruise control works flawlessly / maybe because it not mated to a 4 cylinder power train (??) & the v6 has loads of spare HP

PS - Would have loved to import your Florida 2002 CRV-EX, if it was AWD...:))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts