Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold one of my Prime SE,s to Carvana today. Decided to take the profit offered for car and sit out the market till it settles back down. Simple process.

Registered
2021 Prime XSE, former Prime SE [sold]
Sold one of my Prime SE,s to Carvana today. Decided to take the profit offered for car and sit out the market till it settles back down. Simple process.
Cast the Pharisee out of thou shrine to the sacred holy sacred altar to the R4P! 馃榾

They are in demand, I bet you did well. Buy another before the rebate runs out, if you get tired of it there are buyers!

Registered
Z06

Inflation will ease sometime in the future, but in my life I have never seen prices after inflation periods retract which means you most likely will pay more waiting for things to settle down.

Good luck,

Russ

Registered
The upside w/ getting a new 鈥22: overhead buttons w/ LED (finally)!
Don鈥檛 care for USB-C, as a USB-A to USB-C cable are plentiful and cheap.
I forget if window switches have LED light.

If supply chains get back to normal, OP just might be able to break even. Competing PHEVs and no more MSRP. But then again more Fed Tax Cr. Maybe awash despite getting more than the used R4P is worth.

Registered
The upside w/ getting a new 鈥22: overhead buttons w/ LED (finally)!
Don鈥檛 care for USB-C, as a USB-A to USB-C cable are plentiful and cheap.
I forget if window switches have LED light.

If supply chains get back to normal, OP just might be able to break even. Competing PHEVs and no more MSRP. But then again more Fed Tax Cr. Maybe awash despite getting more than the used R4P is worth.
I negotiate hard but making up $7,500 off MSRP is pretty darn hard to do for a $40k automobile and that is what will soon be gone when Toyota hits 200 k sales in this quarter.

we already know the 2022 MSRP is higher than 2021

I think it is wishful thinking to break even in the future buying a car with no tax credit or greatly reduced when inflation is running hot.

Registered
2021 Prime SE
or Z06 can order a 2023 Ford Maverick next year and get a $21k 40 mpg trucklet - not a bad deal. Pretty smart to lock in profits now, if you don't need to own a R4P.

I actually placed an order for a Ford Escape PHEV SE this week. Was able to order the exact options I wanted (not many - got to skip the unwanted hole in the roof and powered liftgate) and get X-plan pricing, which was $1200 or so off MSRP. We'll see on the timing, but it'll probably come in faster than my # comes up at Longo for a 2022 R4P at MSRP, and Ford won't surpass 200,000 credits sooner than Toyota - so my bets are hedged, either way.

I'd be happy to get into a PHEV for cheaper than the Prime, lock in a 'profit' on my 2021 and start another year of free vehicle ownership. Rinse & repeat until the PHEV tax credits are gone.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the Maverick offer the adaptive cruise on a model other than fully loaded $30k+ one, but failing that, a Rav4 hybrid XLE might be my 2023 vehicle. Much better value vs the Prime once the $7500 credit is gone. I don't enjoy owning a $45k vehicle - I want to not worry about bottoming out on rough roads, paint scratches, etc. Plus have more cargo space without the big battery, and get better hybrid mpg. We have the Prius Prime for around town EV still. I only jumped into a R4P b/c of the high resale and tax credit - making depreciation profitable!

Well done Z06 - only time I've made more than $7500 off a vehicle was during dieselgate ;)

Registered
Surf

Keep us posted on your Ford Escape.

I am hesitant to go with another brand because of the smaller battery.

In the winter I pull into my home with 2 miles of range of my 28 mile commute on the 18 kWh battery.

Winter really takes a hit on the range.

Russ

Registered
R4P XSE, Weather Package only, Silver
Did you make more than $9k profit?
After the market settles down, future R4P's will cost at least $1,500 more than the 2021's and there may be no tax credit later.

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you make more than $9k profit?
After the market settles down, future R4P's will cost at least $1,500 more than the 2021's and there may be no tax credit later.
Still have one RAV4P. Don鈥檛 know if next new car will be a RAV4. Bought a 2004 Lincoln Town Car with 53000 miles on it for $6000 that will serve me well for a few years. As fast as cars are changing I may be able to go full electric for next one. In the meantime I鈥檒l invest the money from sale of car to maybe keep up with inflation.
Product Font Material property Electric blue Technology

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And just for kicks I just got a quote for our other RAV4P with same equipment and miles. It鈥檚 now $48908.

Registered
R4P XSE, Weather Package only, Silver
Let me know when I can get $55k for my R4P XSE non-PP, and it might make financial sense to me. Never mind, I won't part with it for under $60k. Best car I've ever owned!

Registered
I think it is wishful thinking to break even in the future buying a car with no tax credit or greatly reduced when inflation is running hot.
OP would NOT be buying a R4P to break even.

Other manufactures might be making PHEV compact SUVs that will be eligible for $7500 Tax Cr. If supply chain is better and normal <=MSRP occurs, then OP stands a very good chance of coming out ahead or breaking even at worst case.

Registered
or Z06 can order a 2023 Ford Maverick next year and get a $21k 40 mpg trucklet - not a bad deal. Pretty smart to lock in profits now, if you don't need to own a R4P.

I actually placed an order for a Ford Escape PHEV SE this week. Was able to order the exact options I wanted (not many - got to skip the unwanted hole in the roof and powered liftgate) and get X-plan pricing, which was $1200 or so off MSRP. We'll see on the timing, but it'll probably come in faster than my # comes up at Longo for a 2022 R4P at MSRP, and Ford won't surpass 200,000 credits sooner than Toyota - so my bets are hedged, either way.

I'd be happy to get into a PHEV for cheaper than the Prime, lock in a 'profit' on my 2021 and start another year of free vehicle ownership. Rinse & repeat until the PHEV tax credits are gone.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the Maverick offer the adaptive cruise on a model other than fully loaded $30k+ one, but failing that, a Rav4 hybrid XLE might be my 2023 vehicle. Much better value vs the Prime once the $7500 credit is gone. I don't enjoy owning a $45k vehicle - I want to not worry about bottoming out on rough roads, paint scratches, etc. Plus have more cargo space without the big battery, and get better hybrid mpg. We have the Prius Prime for around town EV still. I only jumped into a R4P b/c of the high resale and tax credit - making depreciation profitable!

Well done Z06 - only time I've made more than $7500 off a vehicle was during dieselgate ;)
Escape PHEV has better price then Prime but it lacks in things that might matter to some, power, range and AWD. It's actually the slowest Escape with 0-60 in 8.5s. If that doesn't matter then it's a great car.

Reactions: surfstar

Registered
2021 Prime SE
Escape PHEV has better price then Prime but it lacks in things that might matter to some, power, range and AWD. It's actually the slowest Escape with 0-60 in 8.5s. If that doesn't matter then it's a great car.
The fact that I can get into one under MSRP, actually order what I want, and it'll be thousands cheaper than the Rav are pluses. Plenty of power for us, and the efficiency increase is always welcome
Cons - little less cargo space, lower ground clearance, no AWD
I'm also interested in comparing TSS vs co-pilot for adaptive cruise.
We'll see how it goes and how long the build actually takes...

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE (Weather/Moonroof)
And just for kicks I just got a quote for our other RAV4P with same equipment and miles. It鈥檚 now $48908.
Where are you located? I am in New England, and Carvana offers me $42k for my SE with 1,000 miles. Vroom is a bit more.

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where are you located? I am in New England, and Carvana offers me $42k for my SE with 1,000 miles. Vroom is a bit more.
Using TN for quotes. Carmax was 47,000 and Vroom a little less.

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or buy another one now with the tax credit and bank the excess.

Registered
I'm also interested in comparing TSS vs co-pilot for adaptive cruise.
been using both for a while and co-pilot is better then TSS for city driving or with stop and go traffic. It accelerates quicker and has 4 bars of distance adjustment. It is however stops too close which I don't like.

Reactions: surfstar
1 - 20 of 24 Posts