Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just leave mine on. It’s been on for weeks now.
Winter driving I must conserve where I can on my 28 mile commute driving 80 mph in mid 20 degree temps.

I tried out my steering wheel heater control nub on the way home from work and it worked great.

Wearing gloves I could feel which button I needed to turn off the heat to the steering wheel.

The steering wheel heat button is in a terrible place and it is dangerous to look for it while driving and now I can safely turn it off at 80 mph.

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XSE Hybrid Magnetic Grey
252 Posts
Thank you for this solution. Ive been leaving my heated steering wheel on all the time because of how difficult it is to turn off.

Luckily mine never really gets too hot and if it ever does start feeling really warm I just hold it by the part of the wheel that's not heated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Too many junior engineers designing cars with no peer review...
Doesn't anyone sit in the car, and see how it all works out before a design is approved?

Reactions: NormA and VladR

·
Registered
362 Posts
Too many junior engineers designing cars with no peer review...
Doesn't anyone sit in the car, and see how it all works out before a design is approved?
The answer either is “NO”, or that isn’t a priority for Toyota. On the Subaru OB I traded for the Prime, the switch was on the steering wheel, where it was easily accessible. So many things are terrific on the Prime but dumb stuff like info/media and placement are subpar. But not horrible, just annoying. Try driving a VW ID4 if you want to experience the worst controls and infotainment system imaginable. These things can really hurt vehicle driveability.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't turn it off in winter, no problem, move to mid-Canada. I am SOOOOO glad it stays on when you restart the vehicle!!
Oh Canada. You have a beautiful country. We visited Alberta.

20 degrees Fahrenheit is cold enough for me in Utah can’t imagine 20 below Canada weather. I would leave heated seats and steering wheel on all the time to with those frigid temps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has ever accidentally opened the rear hatch when trying to turn the steering wheel heater on or off...

...Or, for that matter, opened the moonroof while trying to turn the cabin light on. I've definitely done that.

Such completely stupid button placement. Basic, elementary design mistakes. I kinda wonder whether, when you're the second-biggest automobile manufacturer in the world, you feel like you can just phone some things in.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE Premium
243 Posts
Not as simple as your solution, but skip to 13:50 in this video and note how he shuffled switches. So another solution would be to move the heated steering wheel switch to the left and a less used switch into its place, but note what Jim said about having to trim switches because they're made for specific locations:

Shout out to @jimbo69ny for yet another helpful video!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh Canada. You have a beautiful country. We visited Alberta.

20 degrees Fahrenheit is cold enough for me in Utah can’t imagine 20 below Canada weather. I would leave heated seats and steering wheel on all the time to with those frigid temps.

20 below is average it goes down to 40 below regularly in Feb
Last winter I worked all day outside in below 54 now that was cold but I lived :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts