Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:frownI Solved the harsh ride issue of the RAV4 by trading it off, got rid of it. The RAV4 may have it's virtues but a comfortable ride on rougher surfaces is not one of them. I am not one to spend money unnecessarily so this shows just how much of an issue the rough ride was to me. I live on a farm and drive the dirt & gravel county roads daily but my wife & I got so tired of getting jarred on a daily basis that we decided it just was not worth enduring. Bought it in May, traded it in September. Time will tell but we traded for a Subaru Outback and noticed immediately a big difference in both the improved quality of the ride and also a much less road noise. The gas mileage of the Subaru is about 3 miles per gallon better. Seat of the pants feel for acceleration is that the RAV4 may have been a little better but we are finding the Outback to be more than adequate for our needs. Thought Toyota could have done a better job with the RAV4.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, the ride is worse than on my 207 Explorer Sport Track 4WD. Won't trade ours off so we'll have to live with it. Far worse is the fact that we're stuck with the doggy 4 cylinder and that we paid $600.00 for the factory remote start which wasn't a remote start. Had the factory remote removed(went in the trash) and had an aftermarket remote installed that is fantastic. We like our Rav 4 but sure don't love it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good Luck! Toyota did an inexplicably poor job with the 4.4 suspension and insulation- very disappointing- I will be looking to improve on those issues too...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good for you--although I'm sure you took a significant financial hit. My daughter had an Outback in her last year before succumbing to cancer. She found it very comfortable even with all of her discomfort otherwise. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm waiting for the opportunity to solve my harsh ride/uncomfortable seat issue once and for all--hopefully in two months.

I like Toyotas but don't like what they have done to the RAV4. If it's for city driving why is the suspension so harsh? And if it's for rugged terrain as well, why is the ground clearance so low? Toyota seems to be trying to please too many people/needs with the same vehicle and in many ways is missing the mark.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
This thread will get a lot of hits with that thread title. lol
Hope you're happy with your new outback!

Sorry about your daughter Sheddah. My condolences. :(

·
Registered
735 Posts
roughride,

Congratulations.
Don't feel bad - you're not the only one who found the RAV to be so disappointing to get it rid of it within the first year.

The RAV has never been a stellar performer in the Toyota family. Although the RAV was the first compact CUV ever, the CR-V quickly took the first place and remains the leader of the category.

Even reliability-wise the RAV has been one of the worst performer among other Toyotas.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Best of luck to you. Life is too short to drive a car you hate. I love my RAV but I know there are plenty of other cars that ride more comfortably. The ride bothers my wife but doesn't bother me it at all. To each their own.

·
Super Moderator
11,589 Posts
I haven't ridden in a 4.4 model but I don't blame you at all. The Flintstone developed suspension in my 4.3 is one of my major gripes. Unfortunately I'll have to deal with it till I croak. You are fortunate that you have the means to buy something else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a 2010 rav4 without the run flat tires. Now I have a 2009 rav4 with them. When the tires wear out I will be putting non run flat tires on, much more smoother.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a 4.4 xle awd and it rides great! other than the bad road noise from the geolanders.. ( will replace them next year) i would say tires make a big difference in ride.. i had a Nissan frontier before the rav with the stock tires it road very rough and loud, i got new Michelin tires and it made the world of difference. truck road like a Cadillac after that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm happy that the Michelin's worked for you: they didn't for me- mine came new with Michelin Latitude tires- Rav is extremely loud on all but freshly paved road surfaces; the issue is compounded by little insulation on the Rav...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm happy that the Michelin's worked for you: they didn't for me- mine came new with Michelin Latitude tires- Rav is extremely loud on all but freshly paved road surfaces; the issue is compounded by little insulation on the Rav...
i hope new tires work on my rav aswell.. its very loud on side roads.. hwy its pretty good.. i think i may go with the firestone le2 for the rav.. good ratings on tirerack and other sites

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car came with the Michelin tires and I had let the pressure down to 26 psi which helped some but the RAV4 still rode rough. Yes, I took a hit on trading but after driving the Outback and seeing the difference in improved ride and road noise it helps make up for the financial hit. Toyota did not do a good job on the RAV4 and lost a customer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats on the Outback roughride. I am sure you will be happy with it. My wife loves her 2014 Outback.

Subaru must have added a bunch more insulation on the 15 Outback. I actually find my 13 Rav to be quieter than her Outback. Definitely quieter on the highway. While the Outback doesn't crash over some bumps like the Rav I wouldn't call it a smooth ride. Also have to remember to compare apples to apples. The Rav competes with the Forester not the Outback. Outback is considered a higher end vehicle and should ride better.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Also have to remember to compare apples to apples. The Rav competes with the Forester not the Outback. Outback is considered a higher end vehicle and should ride better.
Your comment is absolutely spot on and highlights one of the main issues with the RAV - the RAV is overpriced.

Here are MSRPs (mid-tier version, AWD, 2015 MY):
RAV4 XLE AWD - $27,525
Forester Premium - $25,945
Outback Premium - $27,845

The RAV is supposed to compete against the Forester, but is priced closer to the Outback. Plain and simple - the RAV is overpriced. If Toyota priced the RAV competitively to the Forester, the RAV would actually represent a decent value. But the RAV simply isn't worth the price Toyota is asking for it.

If you compare the RAV side-by-side vs. the Forester there is no way you can justify the $1500 price premium, especially considering that the Forester has better AWD system, decent ground clearance, more towing capability, better fuel economy and better crash test ratings. Both offer comparable comfort, passenger and cargo space. The Forester is everything the RAV is and more - for less money. Or, for the same amount of money as for the RAV, you can get an Outback which, as you pointed out, is a higher-class vehicle.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hmmm. I hope Toyota tweaks the suspension for the 2016's to address these concerns. At least my wife is driving an 11 Accord coupe so she's used to above average firm rides. I drive a clunker in an 02 Civic whose frame had started to squeak here and there. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe it's been reported that the 2016 will have more sound insulation. There will also be a 2016 SE model with a "sportier suspension." I suppose this could make for an even harsher ride, but then again, it might make the ride more composed.

I had a 2010 Acura TL with 18 inch rims that had a very hard and noisy ride (I know Honda products have been criticized for road noise) and the '14 Mercedes C300 I have now (17 inch rims) isn't as smooth as you might think. I rented an XLE Rav4 and found it to be pretty comfortable - maybe even more comfortable than the Acura or Mercedes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your comment is absolutely spot on and highlights one of the main issues with the RAV - the RAV is overpriced.

Here are MSRPs (mid-tier version, AWD, 2015 MY):
RAV4 XLE AWD - $27,525
Forester Premium - $25,945
Outback Premium - $27,845

The RAV is supposed to compete against the Forester, but is priced closer to the Outback. Plain and simple - the RAV is overpriced. If Toyota priced the RAV competitively to the Forester, the RAV would actually represent a decent value. But the RAV simply isn't worth the price Toyota is asking for it.

If you compare the RAV side-by-side vs. the Forester there is no way you can justify the $1500 price premium, especially considering that the Forester has better AWD system, decent ground clearance, more towing capability, better fuel economy and better crash test ratings. Both offer comparable comfort, passenger and cargo space. The Forester is everything the RAV is and more - for less money. Or, for the same amount of money as for the RAV, you can get an Outback which, as you pointed out, is a higher-class vehicle.
Stop being misleading and providing half-truths, lies and presenting your opinion as fact.

For instance, both the RAV and the Forester scored the same on the crash test ratings, receiving the highest scores: 5 "Goods" (including the small overlap which has now passed). The "front crash protection" was rated n/a for the RAV and "Superior" for the Forester. However, that rating ONLY applies to those Foresters with pricey OPTIONAL equipment.

Why don't you just enjoy your discontinued Venza (which, by the way, Consumers, Car and Driver and other experts bash) and stop annoying the majority of us who enjoy our RAVs? It's really strange that you keep coming to this forum solely to bash the RAV and trying to rain on other's parades. Your obsession with the RAV is disconcerting; it's almost as if you're secretly agonizing your decision to sell your RAV. It's over, so why don't you get over it all ready?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stop being misleading and providing half-truths, lies and presenting your opinion as fact.

For instance, both the RAV and the Forester scored the same on the crash test ratings, receiving the highest scores: 5 "Goods" (including the small overlap which has now passed). The "front crash protection" was rated n/a for the RAV and "Superior" for the Forester. However, that rating ONLY applies to those Foresters with pricey OPTIONAL equipment.

Why don't you just enjoy your discontinued Venza (which, by the way, Consumers, Car and Driver and other experts bash) and stop annoying the majority of us who enjoy our RAVs? It's really strange that you keep coming to this forum solely to bash the RAV and trying to rain on other's parades. Your obsession with the RAV is disconcerting; it's almost as if you're secretly agonizing your decision to sell your RAV. It's over, so why don't you get over it all ready?
To- RobLTD A harsh but fair comment IMHO :laugh

I also can't understand why someone who didn't like a vehicle so got rid of it
still feels the need to go on and on about it on a forum where that vehicle is
actually loved by many. Unless of course he has such an ego that just wants
to provoke people into posting bad language which could result in them being
thrown off the forum? An old English expression comes to mind "There's nowt
so strange as folk". Actually strange isn't the usual word used but Americans
might not fully understand the original one.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wrong.

Both RAV and Forester score equal in IIHS ranking but Forester scores higher in NHTSA, JNCAP and EuroNCAP tests. So if you look at the results from all four testing bodies, Forester scores better. Moreover, IIHS is a non-governmental body that "advises" the insurance industry (and does a lot of publicity), while NHTSA, JNCAP and EuroNCAP are official governmental institutions which ultimately decide which cars are allowed on the streets or not. IIHS scores are very vague (intended for the general uneducated public), while NHTSA, JNCAP and EuroNCAP provide much more precise numeric score (if you take the time to read the details).

Some people watch and episode of "House" and think that makes them medical doctors and experts. So take some time to educated yourself before you make another statement that only shows how little you know about cars and crash tests.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.