Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always found my 2015 RAV4 XLE AWD to up/dowshift erratically, which is due to having too many speeds IMO. In ECO mode, it stays in one speed consistently, except the engine bogs down at times and throttle response is low. In Normal, throttle response is good, but it seems to shift too soon, then downshifts when realizing so. In Sport, throttle response is too sensitive, but shifting is more consistent. So for past year, I've been flip-flopping around with different modes to find a happy medium and could never get comfortable with one solution for everyday driving.

This past month I decided to just drive it in manual mode full time and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :thumbs_up: It feels so much better to control the shift points myself because I can anticipate what the car should be doing where the computer cannot. I let it shift between 2,200-3,000 RPMs, which seems to be the sweet spot for torque and acceleration. I thought my gas mileage might suffer, but it really it hasn't changed any as I still average 28-32 MPG with mixed city/highway.

So I thought I might share my experience in case any of you were experiencing the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too do not like the engine tranny management system...the fact that the manual mode is still,over ridden by the system on the highway...I wa driving it I manual mode but noticed that on the highway it tends surge...always looking for that perfect speed. Settling on just leaving it in drive and just sucking it up...:serious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts