Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm thinking about picking up a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid XLE tomorrow. I do have some general questions about the car though.

1. I know some of SUVs your able to feel every bump in the road. I'm hoping the Rav4 is more soft than harsh. I am going to go test drive it but there really isn't a good area to test this around where the dealership is located. I don't think most of the SUVs built today are made to go offroading so hopefully its somewhat softer?
2. How is the rav4 on road noise? Is the cabin pretty quite? I used to have a 2008 accord it was HORRIBLE.
3. AWD-I. I've done a lot a research on this but still don't feel comfortable. I know the rear wheels are controlled by a 60something HP electric moter. I just doesn't seem like that would be enough power for the rear wheels. Granted I won't really be offroading with this but i don't want issues when we either go camping (which can be muddy or deep/loose sandy areas) or in deep snow which we get often in the winter.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Test drive and see how if feels for yourself. I love my RAV4H, and find the ride, interior noise level, and acceleration to all be very acceptable. Others have offered positive reviews of how if handled deep snow. I would also refer you to Consumer Reports to read an honest review.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a lot of research and helped my wife pick up her 2017 Hybrid Limited, and we love it.

1 - The RAV 4 mostly has that characteristic Toyota cushy ride, more soft than sporty. But, our Limited has a somewhat rougher ride on bumps due to the larger wheels (I really wish smaller wheels were an option for the Limited). Overall, it feels more like a Camry than a Tacoma. To be fair, our country road is extremely poorly maintained with potholes you could probably put a house in.

2 - Noise level is in the middle. Road noise is often noticeable in SUV/wagon shaped vehicles because the shape of rear half of the cabin makes somewhat of an echo chamber, and the RAV 4 is no exception. That said, it's not bad. The hybrid drive is obviously silent at low speed, but the Atkinson/CVT can get a little loud when it's working. Don't floor it all the time!

3 - RAV 4s are not Wranglers, but I don't think there's anything to be concerned about with the front-biased AWD. If you're going to do hardcore technical off-roading you should get a 4Runner or Tacoma, but the RAV 4 Hybrid is no less capable than any other full-time AWD vehicle. We've driven inclines in mud, snow, pine needles, etc. and it works perfectly. The Hybrid supposedly has a higher ground clearance than the conventional AWD RAV4, so that's nice. Just go to youtube and search "RAV4 Hybrid off-road" and you can see a lot of practical examples.

I was brutally honest in those answers about bumps and noise so you have realistic expectations, but the car is awesome. If you don't mind paying for it, I think it's tough to beat the RAV 4 Hybrid in the smallish SUV space because it has the best acceleration, MPG, and reliability. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a lot of research and helped my wife pick up her 2017 Hybrid Limited, and we love it.

1 - The RAV 4 mostly has that characteristic Toyota cushy ride, more soft than sporty. But, our Limited has a somewhat rougher ride on bumps due to the larger wheels (I really wish smaller wheels were an option for the Limited). Overall, it feels more like a Camry than a Tacoma. To be fair, our country road is extremely poorly maintained with potholes you could probably put a house in.

2 - Noise level is in the middle. Road noise is often noticeable in SUV/wagon shaped vehicles because the shape of rear half of the cabin makes somewhat of an echo chamber, and the RAV 4 is no exception. That said, it's not bad. The hybrid drive is obviously silent at low speed, but the Atkinson/CVT can get a little loud when it's working. Don't floor it all the time!

3 - RAV 4s are not Wranglers, but I don't think there's anything to be concerned about with the front-biased AWD. If you're going to do hardcore technical off-roading you should get a 4Runner or Tacoma, but the RAV 4 Hybrid is no less capable than any other full-time AWD vehicle. We've driven inclines in mud, snow, pine needles, etc. and it works perfectly. The Hybrid supposedly has a higher ground clearance than the conventional AWD RAV4, so that's nice. Just go to youtube and search "RAV4 Hybrid off-road" and you can see a lot of practical examples.

I was brutally honest in those answers about bumps and noise so you have realistic expectations, but the car is awesome. If you don't mind paying for it, I think it's tough to beat the RAV 4 Hybrid in the smallish SUV space because it has the best acceleration, MPG, and reliability. Good luck!
I appreciate the reply. To be honest with you i have been flipping back and forth between the Rav4H & cx-5. The cx-5 drove like a dream, had awesome interior and looked really good. I was almost ready to pounce but decided to give myself a few more days to think about everything and now im leaning back towards the rav4h. I have a 2011 toyota prius so i know how reliable toyota has been. The only thing i've had to replace is the 12v battery (though when the 12v battery starts going bad weird things start happening that makes it difficult to diagnose). Whats leaning me back is their reliability (though Mazda reliability is supposed to be pretty good), high resale value, and of course gas mileage. If the hybrid option wasn't so cheap id probably lean back towards Mazda

·
Registered
71 Posts
OK, here's my personal opinion on your questions/concerns:
1) Ride: Very subjective, so a test drive will have to answer this for you. Personally I like the ride, Goldilocks satisfaction level for me, not too firm and not too soft.

2) Road noise: I think it is very good, especially so when running in EV mode

3) AWD-i: You have nothing to worry about. I got through one winter season/snow and found it completely competent. Also took it on one camping trip this summer, last bit to the campsite was 1/2hr drive on dirt roads, also completely fine. 67hp to the rear wheels is a lot more than you think it is. If it is slippery/low traction, you are not going to be trying to do a 0-60 record speed run, and even if you did want to do that record run, more power is probably just wasted as there is not enough traction to make much use of the power. Plus with electric motors, they have full torque from 0 rpm, so it will work well in the situations you are envisioning that you need the additional traction (mud, sand, snow). Also even cruising on the highway you are probably only using like 30hp. So more than enough power to get you going in the slippery conditions and also enough power to keep you going if you need it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh and one additional point to put 67hp into perspective, I learned to drive on my mom's 1984 Toyota Tercel 4x4 station wagon (now made famous as Jesse Pinkmans ride in Breaking bad...), that only had 65hp from its 1.5 liter engine (actually just 1.452 L...). No 0-60 records were broken, but the 65hp was also enough not to get stuck anywhere. And I highly doubt there is a situation where both front wheels will be able to put 0 hp to the ground, so you will have quite a bit more than 67 hp to power the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Yep, had a Tercel 4WD wagon for a few years too. Took it everywhere on or off road. Had to make a run at the interstate hills so as not to crest at 50mph! No such problem with 200 more HP under the hood of my RAV4!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid with 275,000 miles and it still rides like a dream. Gets 33-34 mpg with avg driving. That said we have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with 3000 miles (wife's). We have made three 600 mile round trips - mostly interstate. She had a 2010 Prius prior to the Rav4. Being mechanical minded and aware of sounds and the cause, I will give my perceptions. The Rav4HL rides close to the older Camry Hybrid but not quite as smooth. The RAV4 has more road noise than the Camry but less than the Prius. It is not wind noise but road noise and to me, it seems the noise is more tire design or type in origin than lack of insulation and noise reduction material - although it could be the latter. I am not in a hurry to change her tires but will most certainly look at different brands.

I bought my Camry used (60,000 miles and in need of tires) and purchased Gateway's tires. Mistake. Road noise was low but I only got 50,000 miles on it because it was a softer tire. Then I purchased the Michelin's 90,000 mile tire for my Camry, there was a different sound, just a tad more noise but barely. It is these types of noise that I seem to hear on the Rav4HL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts