Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I do every winter, i notice after the car has been heated up, i can smell something burning. im assuming that its one of the hoses, but im not so sure. And for some odd reason this only happens in the winter. if anyone has any advice please let me know

·
Registered
685 Posts
I know that smell, exactly!!!! I've gotten it with both my Ravs, '98 & '05.......and the first time I went all over the '98 cause I thought it smelled like hot wiring!!!!
I can't be sure, but I think it is salt water on the exhaust.......I don't get it when it rains, but right after the first time they salt the roads when it snows..........sniff, sniff.......there it is....... :?

Anyone else???

·
Registered
875 Posts
So i'm NOT alone on this one??? I got that smell while driving back from Tahoe for skiing one year. Initially i thought I was overloading the cigarette lighter adapater with 6 electronic thingies. But i found that it wasn't that.

So what is it? Any hunches?

It didn't quite smell like a worn out clutch, but it did smell like a burning smell. Hmm....

I have a feeling we're gunna get more people who have experienced the same thing.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well this is good, i thought it was only my car. my assumption is something rubber burning like a hose or something, but ive never been able to pinpoint the location

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re

Mine has this burning smell after an oil change. I think that oil gets spilled on the engine block when the filter is removed and then burns off when the engine gets hot.

Cal

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's actually a different smell than what we're getting.....
I think we all get that burning oil smell after an oil change from oil spilled on the block or exhaust, but what we get is like over heated wiring......that hot vinyl smell........

Seems the common denominator is road salt!!!.....especially wet road salt.......

Anyone else getting it...........what were the road conditions.....???

·
Registered
685 Posts
Don't think so........fires are generally the result of major oil leak onto something hot like exhaust. Two gaskets on an oil filter can give that kind of major oil leak...... :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts