Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's my V6 RAV4 Limited 4WD doing 0 to 80/100mph... i know i can get better times if i shift it manually... i was drive with one hand, and the other hand holding the digital camera... please download it to your computer first before watch it


first video is from 0 to 80mph... i was facing the sun.. thats why the video quality is not really good... anyways.. from slow motion.. i get about 6.3 second on 0-60mph (after watching the video with my stopwatch)...

http://www.lshealthstore.com/videos/hooolala01.wmv
http://www.lshealthstore.com/videos/b01.MPG <== this is the same video as the one above, but better quality.. the file size is also larger too)


second video is from 0 to 100mph.. this one has better video quality.. i got 6.3 second on this try too (again... watch the video with a stopwatch)

http://www.lshealthstore.com/videos/hooolala02.wmv
http://www.lshealthstore.com/videos/b02.MPG <== this is the same video as the one above, but better quality.. the file size is also larger too)
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Anybody know what the 0-60 is on a Base RAV4 - V6 - 2WD?
Is the 2WD a little faster than the 4WD? (because of gearing & weight)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flyingn said:
the 2wd may be a tick faster.. Id say around mid 6's 0-60..
well.. 4wd has better traction right off the line... but at higher speed, 2wd will be faster... so i'm guessing, from 0-60 4wd will be little bit faster.. but at 1/4 mile run.. 2wd will be faster..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flyingn said:
I do not think that there is enough wheel spin with the traction control to make the fwd slower 0-60.
not sure... anybody living in nor cal with 2wd v6 that are willing to race? :D:D


btw.. i just used my stopwatch to time the videos that i took.. both video shows 0-60mph @ 6.3 sec (from when i let go the brake to 60mph)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I noticed that you were able to brake torque to 2500-3000 rpm. What's the highest rpm that you've tried?

When I took ours to the drag strip, I could not get the tires to chirp. I also didn't get a chance to really experiment with the launches (only got 2 runs), but the highest I was able to try was 1500 rpm. I'm definitely going to try a higher rpm next time.

Also, I noticed yours short shifts 1st gear, too. Right at 6000 rpm. But the 2nd to 3rd shift happened right at redline. When I tried that, our would only shift at 6000 rpm.

How many miles do you have on yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mhgsx said:
I noticed that you were able to brake torque to 2500-3000 rpm. What's the highest rpm that you've tried?

When I took ours to the drag strip, I could not get the tires to chirp. I also didn't get a chance to really experiment with the launches (only got 2 runs), but the highest I was able to try was 1500 rpm. I'm definitely going to try a higher rpm next time.

Also, I noticed yours short shifts 1st gear, too. Right at 6000 rpm. But the 2nd to 3rd shift happened right at redline. When I tried that, our would only shift at 6000 rpm.

How many miles do you have on yours?
i have almost 3000 miles on my RAV4...

i think 3000rpm is the highest i've tried, and i believe thats the highest it can go... i didn't shift it manually because i was holding the camera with my right hand, and drive with my left hand.. so the short shift you talked about was done automaticlly..

what kind of time did you get at the drag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Not sure what the 100 MPH video proves except that someone is foolish enough to drive at 100 Mph with one hand on the wheel. Not smart!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JIMD4 said:
Not sure what the 100 MPH video proves except that someone is foolish enough to drive at 100 Mph with one hand on the wheel. Not smart!
Thank for your opinion.. but.. i normally drive with one hand, no matter if is 4mph or 110mph.. 95% of time i ONLY use one hand.. and the only time i will use two hands is if the wind is too strong or if is raining too hard.. this is just the way i drive.. period..

plus.. i was on a 2 mile stretch stright road with no body around... i drove slowly on this road before i take the video.. so i know it's safe for me to drive this fast with one hand..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
hooolala said:
i have almost 3000 miles on my RAV4...

i think 3000rpm is the highest i've tried, and i believe thats the highest it can go... i didn't shift it manually because i was holding the camera with my right hand, and drive with my left hand.. so the short shift you talked about was done automaticlly..

what kind of time did you get at the drag?
There's a tread about it in the 4.3 mechanical section.

I really think there should be a sub-forum dedicated to performance. This could include all 3 generations, as most of the topics should apply to any RAV, regardless of generation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Keep in mind that when Car and Driver magazine clocked the 2006 RAV4 Limited V6 4x4 at 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, they actually start the clock after the vehicle has moved forward 12 inches. They say that takes about 0.3 seconds. Therefore, if you got 6.3 seconds to sixty, you did better than Motor Trend did. maybe the brake torque helped erase the 0.3 seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Wizzobutter said:
Keep in mind that when Car and Driver magazine clocked the 2006 RAV4 Limited V6 4x4 at 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, they actually start the clock after the vehicle has moved forward 12 inches. They say that takes about 0.3 seconds. Therefore, if you got 6.3 seconds to sixty, you did better than Motor Trend did. maybe the brake torque helped erase the 0.3 seconds.
What are you talking about? It does NOT take 0.3 sec for a car to move 1 foot. At the drag strip, you will be moving before the actual timers begin. But the amount will vary depending upon how deep or how shallow you stage the vehicle. Pretty sure C&D uses GPS based timing boxes vs an actual drag strip. On the rare occasion when they do use the strip, it's pretty clear in their article/story.

And where does Motor Trend fit in with all this? Unless there's a brand new issue with a full RAV V6 test, they haven't tested the RAV.

If I remember correctly, MT 'corrects' their times. C&D does not. Road & Track and Edmunds actually publish the conditions of their test (weather and elevation).

Stopwatch testing is HIGHLY inaccurate.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Dude,

Tight video! I'll bet that you were on the country roads heading out towards Woodland and Winters. Am I right? Those roads are super empty. I really miss good old Davis.

Lance

PS don't drive like that down Anderson Rd..... Cops are always busting people there! With only a 25mph speed limit, I used to draft the Unitrans buses on my bicycle on Anderson.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top