Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did much research before finally ordering a V-6 RAV4 Ltd. Test drove the 4 cyl, liked its get up & go, and decided it would be more than I needed. However, after doing research of other future brands in the compact sport ute segment, I ran across some info on the 2007 Honda CRV - to be redesigned to keep pace with the RAV4. According to what I've read and heard, it will also grow larger and the 4cyl will increase to nearly 200 HP, and be competitively priced with the new RAV4. Supposed to start coming out in Aug - Sept. Have not heard anything about Honda adding a V-6 option.

With this in mind, I thought to myself, I get the 4cyl RAV, and come this fall I may just kick myself in the a_ _ for not waitiing to see what Honda does, and if their 200 HP 4cyl mated to a 5 speed auto tranny is a better drive train. Then we'll see how long the snooty Toyota dealers will sell at MSRP!!

My personal solution - I like the Toyota, need vehicle fairly soon - take the dive and go for the loaded V-6!

OC :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
The CRV is already one of the biggest vehicles in this category (as is the Pilot in the larger segment). I can see it growing a bit and including a 3rd row seat. Unless Honda plans on bringing in a new small SUV I can't see it getting much bigger (you never know). As far as power goes, if the CRV does offer a 200HP-4cyl, premium fuel will likely be required and it will probably be high reving. Towing may also be a problem. I guess time will tell.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I4 fuel economy may not be that good anyway

I owned a 2001 RAV4L. IMHO, the car was underpowered. Eventhough the sticker said 24/30, it gave me 21/30 (driven mostly in city---Tampa, FL). Very rarely, it gave me 22, but not more than that in city.

A smaller engine does not really help in fuel economy when its fitted in an oversized chassis.

So if you can afford the V6, go for it as there won't be that much of a difference in the MPG anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
Re: I4 fuel economy may not be that good anyway

bet me. Like I have been saying al along I'll bet you will see a 3-4 mpg city difference from 4 to 6.. Thats a 20% difference..


salmankhilji74 said:
I owned a 2001 RAV4L. IMHO, the car was underpowered. Eventhough the sticker said 24/30, it gave me 21/30 (driven mostly in city---Tampa, FL). Very rarely, it gave me 22, but not more than that in city.

A smaller engine does not really help in fuel economy when its fitted in an oversized chassis.

So if you can afford the V6, go for it as there won't be that much of a difference in the MPG anyway.
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I think your foot will be buried in the gas pedal on the four banger, just to get around. With the V-6, you will never have to rev high to get around town. Meaning less wear and tear, and competitive fuel milage. :)
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: I4 fuel economy may not be that good anyway

flyingn said:
bet me. Like I have been saying al along I'll bet you will see a 3-4 mpg city difference from 4 to 6.. Thats a 20% difference..
You are right! Regardless of what the i4 gets in milage, I would be really surprised to see anyone get more that 18-19 miles per gallon in city driving with the V6. Those who buy the V6 thinking they will get 21 are in for a rude awakening :lol:
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hogpowr said:
I think your foot will be buried in the gas pedal on the four banger, just to get around. With the V-6, you will never have to rev high to get around town. Meaning less wear and tear, and competitive fuel milage. :)
No, that is not the case. The i4 is one of the quickest 4s I have ever driven. The torque kicks in pretty quick and it really scoots. Trust me I just sold a Nissan Titan that would go 0-60 in 7.4 seconds which is moving for a truck. This 4 seems just as quick. I got 23 miles per gallon on my first tank, with mixed driving. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
We thought long and hard before buying a Rav4, namely because we were trying to figure out whether to wait for the new CRV. The current rav is much better than the current CRV-- it's quieter for one. And I expect the Rav to be quieter inside than the new CRV. Both have nice stability. So we decided to just get the Rav and have not been disappointed.

I expect that the CRVs are going to be expensive next year -- it's going to be hard to get one much under retail -- and we just decided that the CRV wasn't going to improve much on the Rav's ride, stability, and especially its quietness. I'll be curious to see what the new CRV is like, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
Re: I4 fuel economy may not be that good anyway

exactly..

sstarrx3 said:
You are right! Regardless of what the i4 gets in milage, I would be really surprised to see anyone get more that 18-19 miles per gallon in city driving with the V6. Those who buy the V6 thinking they will get 21 are in for a rude awakening :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
I know... Ours too. In fact the other day my wife told me of one of her stoplight jounts with a new 06 Suzuki Grand Vitara (2.7 v6) where the poor chick in that zook got her butt handed to her by my wife in the rav. They both went at it from a light and my wife said by 60 or she was 1.5 out on the Zook :) atta girl :twisted:

sstarrx3 said:
No, that is not the case. The i4 is one of the quickest 4s I have ever driven. The torque kicks in pretty quick and it really scoots. Trust me I just sold a Nissan Titan that would go 0-60 in 7.4 seconds which is moving for a truck. This 4 seems just as quick. I got 23 miles per gallon on my first tank, with mixed driving. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
The 07 CRV will probably use the same 4 cylinder engine found in the Acura TSX. Its a nice engine pushing out 205 hp, but only about 160 ft lb of torque. Honda and Toyota have alway gone in different direction as far as design goals. Honda choose to push every engine to its limit, squezze out every HP and Toyota is always a bit more conservative as far HP is concerned. Another thing is that Honda, much like Nissan, will spend alot of money in their engines where as Toyota spends more money in workmanship, quality control and material used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
Re: I4 fuel economy may not be that good anyway

sstarrx3 said:
You are right! Regardless of what the i4 gets in milage, I would be really surprised to see anyone get more that 18-19 miles per gallon in city driving with the V6. Those who buy the V6 thinking they will get 21 are in for a rude awakening :lol:
Depends on one's driving style, of course, but even 18-19 mpg city in a 3.5-litre SUV sounds pretty reasonable to me. Obviously the four-cylinder will be better on gas overall, but I'm glad the V6 is offered for those who have different priorities.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: I4 fuel economy may not be that good anyway

Yes, it is nice to have choices :D
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: I4 fuel economy may not be that good anyway

bmorton said:
Depends on one's driving style, of course, but even 18-19 mpg city in a 3.5-litre SUV sounds pretty reasonable to me. Obviously the four-cylinder will be better on gas overall, but I'm glad the V6 is offered for those who have different priorities.
Yes you are right, plus if you want to tow even a tent trailer, you really need the V6 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
I have an I-4 and I am quite happy with it. By modern American standards, the car is underpowered, but I have not seen the limitation kicking in yet. The I-4 is cheaper and may be somewhat easier to service. Seriously guys, Europeans drive around in RAV4.3s with puny 2.0L normally aspirated engines, in a car which is only about 20kg lighter, and it works just fine. If I wanted a fast car, I'd buy an Acura NSX or Corvette. It's pure gigantomania, if you ask me. Certainly, if you want to tow anything, you want V-6 and the towing package (e.g. cooling ribs for diffs). But I am not even going to mount a hitch on this thing, so getting a V-6 would be completely irrational for my mission profile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Absolutely zaitcev

Two things that mystify me about this stuff.

1 - The number of people who actually expect to get the MPG's listed on window stickers from the EPA tests. Read folks. It's well known fact that the EPA #'s are vastly off from todays real world driving environment hence the new test that will go into affect in 2008 (I think it's 08...)

2 - The number of people who bitch and moan about the I4 not being enough. If you want a fast car, get one. Not a small SUV. The 4 has more than enough power to move around on the highway and in city traffic. I've had to swing out of the way of issues on the road, or pass slow moving vehicles a few times already and the I4 does the job just fine.

Sure, who doesn't want more power. I'd love it but it doesn't fit my needs right now as someone who can only afford to own one car. That's why I ride a sportbike. Much cheaper alternative to owning a second car as a fun car.

The question not enough people ask themselves and answer honestly, is whether they NEED the additional power. At least when posting and giving opinions about it, state the obvious - you choose the V6 because you want the bragging/bravado of the bigger engine (or some choose it for real needs like towing). Not because you NEED it. Big difference between want and need that not enough people honestly ask and answer to themselves.

Don't get me wrong folks. I love everyone being able to choose what they want. If you want the V6, by all means, get it. I just get sick of seeing folks push out their opinions like they are fact.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
My current toyota has 450-500rwhp and I didn't feel the I4 lacking in city duty at all when I test drove it. Only reason I'm looking for the V6 is for heading up to whistler, being able to pass slower moving cars better is something I want although I don't honestly really need it. Towing however is a different story, the six would definitely be a better choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Re: Something To Think About For Prospective 4Cyl RAV4 Buyer

OCInsomniac said:
.... I ran across some info on the 2007 Honda CRV - to be redesigned to keep pace with the RAV4. According to what I've read and heard, it will also grow larger and the 4cyl will increase to nearly 200 HP, and be competitively priced with the new RAV4. Supposed to start coming out in Aug - Sept. Have not heard anything about Honda adding a V-6 option.

......

My personal solution - I like the Toyota, need vehicle fairly soon - take the dive and go for the loaded V-6!

OC :twisted:
OC, you have just added another reason for me to wait til next year (at the earliest) to get a new car.

Right now I'm thinking of RAV4.3 (of course), the Maxda CX-7 (I like thier 6-Speed Transmission), and now the new CR-V.

Vigil has a point - if you want a car with more speed then buy one, like the Ferrari or Porche, if you want more power, then get a Truck..... If you want all the comforts, then get a Mercedez or a Lexus or a Cadillac.....

I like the RAV mainly because of it's versatility (Car/SUV/Truck), but we can't have it all, unless we have the money to pay for it.....

But anyway, right now I'm still biased towards the RAV4, but that's what's great around here, you can try everything out before deciding what will best suit your needs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I used to own a '02 CRV, chose it for its power over the toyota and larger size, at the time. The 4 banger they have revs good and has pretty good lower end torque as well. I don't know what Honda is thinking, just doing another I4. They need a small V-6 if for nothing anything other than marketing to today's V6 lovers. Ford puts the 200 hp V6 in the Escape and I can assure you that is why it sells so well.

My V had a 5 speed manual. I got about 21 most of the time, maybe 24-25 on the highway. It is one of the few vehicles that actually gets BETTER mileage with an auto than with a stick. It was because the 5 speed has lower gearing and revved more at highway speeds than the auto. It was hard NOT to drive the thing hard with the stick. If I had to do it all over with a Honda, I would buy an EX with an 5 speed AUTOmatic. My boss has one and it gets mid 20's all the time and 26-27 on the highway.

I pulled a 14' jon boat combo about 800-1000 lbs I guess, with my V and the worst mileage I ever got was about 19.

Compared to my current vehicle, an Isuzu Rodeo with a 3.2L that only produces 205 hp. It is lucky to get 16 mpg around town, only slightly higher on the interstate. I got it to tow a new 1800 pound boat combo that the V just couldn't handle.

SO, that 269 hp V6 in the RAV4 is THE reason I'm now looking at a RAV4! They have so outclassed the other manufacturers with that engine.... I would guess that RAV4 sales will jump as a direct result. A 4 cyl doesn't interest me in the least. The V6 is most interesting indeed.

Hell I'm gonna buy one even if it can't pull my bigger boat....I like a smaller SUV that will get decent mileage and easily pull my smaller boat trailer around. I'll keep the Isuzu just to pull the big boat if I have to.

I think the CRVs are over-rated in the quality department. Just look at all the bugs that folks talk about on the CRV forums at Hondasuv.com. Mine had a bad drivers seat mounts, bad stereo, bad "not steering straight" issues, various rattles, clunking brakes, and recalls, you name it!

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
Wannabe said:
SO, that 269 hp V6 in the RAV4 is THE reason I'm now looking at a RAV4! They have so outclassed the other manufacturers with that engine.... I would guess that RAV4 sales will jump as a direct result. A 4 cyl doesn't interest me in the least. The V6 is most interesting indeed.
I agree - although the idea seems to throw four-cylinder owners into a tizzy, there's nothing wrong with wanting that extra power just for the fun of it.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top