Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooner then later someone on the island will flip, crash, steel, burn a RAV4 V6. Not that I want someone to go through the agony of seeing their ride being trashed [I went through that one already] but that is the nature of man :oops: , to destroy ourselves. I was wondering, if nature takes its course, would the V6 engine fit into a 3SFE engine compartment with the OEM Gear Box? Just thinking. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
What about a V6 from the camry ? I know people have done it in the MR2's, and that engine bay is pretty crowded as it is....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, I understood his post; just asking Angel whether he is deciding on getting a 2006+ RAV in the future. I don't think he saw my poll about keeping or selling your 4.1 RAV, and was interested in his thoughts.

My own feelings about retrofitting the current V6 into the 4.1 RAV. It would be too much of a hassle with much custom fabricating for it to all work properly. And once in, it would constantly be a reliability problem that needs to be sorted out. I am thinking about Andrew's RAV, and all of the problems that he had to and is currently sorting out on his RAV. Just my thoughts. :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Mensajero, I have been thinking about that for awhile for my 4.2

Would be nice to sell the 4.2 engine with low km’s and find a V6 at the junkyard.

The other thing to consider, especially if you want to do it yourself is to have a backup car, even a piece of junk (Chrysler :lol: ) to get around in. Never know the problems that will arise.

When I was into Rotary engines I remember that you could even buy adapter plates to fit them into other manufacturers cars. I put an RX7 (10 years newer) engine into my RX3 and switched it to a standard while I was at it.
But in those days the engines where simpler to work on. More mechanical, less electronics.

I wonder if it would even fit in the either the 4.1 or 4.2 compartment.

Ah who cares we can just cut it open and let the V6 stick out. :twisted:

Walt

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
franco90 said:
Andrew is selling his RAV4
To tell you the truth, when you go thru all that work. Then sell it. I guess he wasn't satisfied with the results. To tell you the truth, he told me that the engine after it was installed gave him problems. That is why those 3SGTE engine must be opened and checked. If you buy a used 3SGTE, those engines go thru hell. Who ever has them knows, and almost always has a heavy right foot. When I installed my first engine, be it pistons or rotary. Everything was check. What ever worked went in, what ever had problems was replaced new.

I also had a modern Rotary engine, [housings, Seals, springs what have you] but with one twist. I used the old double ignition with Alison Capacitors. [The rotary engine had Racing Beat Seals, Springs, Over lap porting on the inside head and bridge port on the outside heads, 650 Holley, Racing Beat Header 2.5 from front to rear pipes with a Racing Beat R7 Muffler, Racing Beat Manifold, Harden Stationary well, you name it, it had it.] It worked awesome and to the day that I sold it [with great pain] it went to the famous Dunkin Donuts in Bayamon [all the tuners go on Saturday nights.] and it raced a V8 Duster. And it kicked its a$$, twice.

Would a Rotary engine fit a RAV4. That would be awesome. But it would blow the Shafts ever time you reved it up and pop the clutch. Remember, Rotary engine feel at home above 8,000 RPM. RAV4 engine never see 7,000 RPM, unless you are in the drive way and Checho [Nelson] is driving :lol: :lol:

I guess if you check the net for a rotary MR2 :idea: you might get some hits. Be right back. :shock:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Man... all this rotary engine talk brings back memories. My first car that I owned was a very used '79 RX-7. I believe that was one of the first year models it came out. I also got an '81 RX-7 after that, notable for its minor cosmetic changes. Loved both RXs, cars that got me hooked on sports cars for life. :lol:

I haven't seen a 1st generation RX-7 in a long time, not to mention an RX-3. :cry: Most are probably in the junk yards by now, if you got one, hold onto it. Very historical cars for Mazda. Those cars are Mazda's performance roots; lots of racing history behind them. :D

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got an answer from KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS regarding the Rotary Engine and RAV4 engine adapter.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:06 PM
Subject: Rotary Adapters for Toyota?

I have a 1997 Toyota RAV4! It has the same 3SFE engine as the MR2. Do you sell an adapter, clutch and starter for this application?

Yes we do. What trans axle are you going to use?

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS 661-272-1147
38830 17th St. E Fax: 661-272-1575
Palmdale, CA 93550

Please include previous correspondence. It makes this process much easier to do follow up.

This is insane

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hey guys I missed out on the rest of this thread because I am usually lurking in the 4.2 groups.

Mensajero, I dropped a small block RX7 engine into the RX3. When I was in Italy I bought a Weber 48 IDF carb. What a piece of art. I bought a custom intake manifold from a racing company in Toronto.

Man I miss revving that engine by hand. What a smooth high pitch buzzing sound that just got louder and louder. :D

Derek, My friend had a RX3 done to the teeth like Mensajeros, 13B block, ported, but with Dual Webers, custom manifolds, exhaust, Dual Weber IDE’s, interior roll bar etc… It was a race car as far as I concerned.
One day in 1985 he dropped by in what looked like a new RX3 in the original British racing green. I was blown away at its condition. :shock: Apparently some older lady husband died when it was new had it in her garage for 10 years or more and it barely saw the light of day. He paid very little for it. But sadly knowing my friend he used and abused her. :cry: Would have made a great collector’s car.

I haven't heard of many companies developing the rotary engine other than Mazda. Benz and Chevy did pursue it at one point.

There is a Canadian inventor in California who made the flying saucer (with fan blades) for NASA many years ago. He is now developing a flying car with his own custom rotary engines. I am not into the Flying car idea in the near future but this guy corporation apparently develops and patents many improvements to existing products like shocks, etc….

I really would like a rotary engine in a lightweight sports car in the future but in my RAV I would probably go with a high performance piston engine with lots of torque, especially for winter.

Mensajero, do you think the new V6 mount into the 4.2? and would it connect without a plate?

Here is a nice link to an animation of the engine.
http://www.keveney.com/Wankel.html

Cheers, Walt

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mionee67, the Rotary engine is sure a work of art. Was yours a peripheral engine? Mine had a double pump Holley 650. Racing Beat seals, harden stationary gears front and rear, trick ported heads (Street ported inner head and Bridge ported outer heads) Racing Beat intake manifold (ported) and Exhaust Header. Two 2.50" pipes that went to just before the RX7 muffler. It felt right at home around 8,000 RPM. I also used an RX3SP 5 speed gear box. With 4.11 axle. It just jumped out of the lights. Traction was a little problem at first. Nothing a set of Ladder bars couldn't resolve.

Installing this engine in a RAV4 is definitely out of the question. You have to use the Mazda gear box to tame this beast. I'm not in the mode to cut the floor and making a tunnel for the drive shaft and adapting a rear axle to the chassis. That is left for the Speed Channel programs like Tuner Transformation, and Sport Compact Revolution.

I think staying with the 3SFE engine and turbo charging it is a lot less expensive and a lot less work.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Mensajero, My Rotary was just a stock 1981 RX-7engine I picked up in the junk yard.
I dropped the automatic RX3 tranny and put a standard one in.
The problem I had was that the car rusted out before I could do anymore mods to it. :(

I put a pic of the Weber with custom manifold in my album 8) . If you have any pics of your car I sure would like to see them.

I am guessing yours was like my friends. He took off the emissions hoses and all you could see was a plenty of space around a bare, smooth, metal motor with those Webers stacked on top. Man was it clean and simple.

After my warranty is up I would like a supercharger for my RAV. Since I may put only 55,000 miles in 15 years, I think I could stress the engine a bit. It would be great if they were a common thing so that I could find a used one or one in the junk yard.

Walt

K

·
0 Posts
Mionee67, I thought Mazda didn't manufacture the RX7 FC until 1988 or 1989.

In 1981, wouldn't that be a RX3? Or the series 1 Rotary engine? With a single rotor head?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Our RX-3 purchased in 1973 had a 10A motor (I think).
The 1981 RX-7 motor from the junk yard was a 10A 1146 cc engine.
My friend used only the larger 13B for both his modified RX3 and Truck. I think it was 1300 cc.
Both 10A and 13B that Mazda made are twin rotors.

Cheers, :D

Walt

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To tell you the truth, the RX3 came with a 12A. Then eventually it came with a 13B with the RX3SP. But this engine was pron to breakage because of the great torque and RPM it made. Mine was a Mazda 808 with 4.11 axle when it came out. I just bought it for $100.00 from an old lady. I took it home and invested about 10,000.00. That was in the 80. I installed SP rear lamps, Spoiler, (front and rear), New Nose, Doors, Hood, Apron, Quicker Anti-Sway Bar, Front Stage one bushing spacers (Check Racing Beat Catalog for that one) a 12A double ignition engine from an RX2!. But I also installed Allison Capacitors with Mallory Coils (of courses, Two of each) It had great power on the road, but very poor traction. A set of Lakewood Ladder Bars took care of that. It was hot :twisted: . But, eventually I sold it for green oranges (like always). I painted it blue. The only thing I have to show for it is a small RX3 model I have in my room. Here it is. Just Sweet Memories of a crazy, ear shattering pass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts