Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help. I've happily driven my 09 Base V6 (non JBL) for a few months now and my only issue has been with the drivers side speakers being intermittent. Both front and back woofer are inop, but the tweeter works as usual. I've had the problem with both the stock head and a Sony I installed recently, so I just wanted to see if there is a common point of failure before ripping both door cards off. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Sounds like the stock speakers need replacement. Note the tweeters are wired in series with the front speakers so don't cut those wires otherwise the front speakers will not work. Here is a good Youtube for installing speakers without buying or making any speaker spacers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the stock speakers need replacement. Note the tweeters are wired in series with the front speakers so don't cut those wires otherwise the front speakers will not work. Here is a good Youtube for installing speakers without buying or making any speaker spacers.
Awesome, thanks for the insight. I had a feeling the speakers themselves are the issue, it just seemed odd that they went together. It's great to know they can be replaced without the spacers, installing the head unit was enough of a headache for me already.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The video seems a lot more work than just drilling the rivets out and making spacers for the new speakers. The shredded plastics are left inside the door panel as well, but I suppose a vacuum could pick those up. Anyway, it's up to you. Here was my speaker replacement experience.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The video seems a lot more work than just drilling the rivets out and making spacers for the new speakers. The shredded plastics are left inside the door panel as well, but I suppose a vacuum could pick those up. Anyway, it's up to you. Here was my speaker replacement experience.
Making your own spacer is another options but you need to buy the wood and paint it. You also need to sand and cut it with a jig saw. You must take the old speakers out and trace the old speakers before you can make the spacer plus the front and rear are slightly different shape. Another options is just buy those plastic spacers already made. I think it is up to the person how much time and skill they want to put into the project. I done it both ways making the spacers and gutting the speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've briefly looked into the process and may consider just taking it somewhere to take care of all 4 speakers, I had enough trouble with the head unit and accept that I'm not much good with soldering.

That said, is it possible to replace the speakers and not the tweeters? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I've briefly looked into the process and may consider just taking it somewhere to take care of all 4 speakers, I had enough trouble with the head unit and accept that I'm not much good with soldering.

That said, is it possible to replace the speakers and not the tweeters? Any recommendations?
Yes you can replace just the speakers and leave the tweeters. You can make crimp connections instead of soldering but if you don't feel comfortable doing the work take it to a professional.

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts
My 2¢ worth.......
If you're going to pay for replacement speakers do ALL of them including the tweeters. If they are all from the same manufacturer they will be balanced and sound better. The stock speakers, tweets included, are as far from quality as a Yugo. The new ones will take advantage of the aftermarket head unit and should be quite pleasing to the ear after a little break in time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a huge fan of soldering but it's actually dissembling the door cards that is more daunting for me. I supposed replacing the tweeters isn't a bad idea, especially since I already have the aftermarket head installed.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of soldering but it's actually dissembling the door cards that is more daunting for me. I supposed replacing the tweeters isn't a bad idea, especially since I already have the aftermarket head installed.
I see. I left my old tweeters in since my new speakers had tweeters on the midrange speakers. The old tweeters are not that loud anyways and you mainly hear the midrange speakers with those tweeters. If you are replacing the speakers with woofer speakers then change the tweeters.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think it is up to the person how much time and skill they want to put into the project. I done it both ways making the spacers and gutting the speakers.
True, I just didn't take into account the tools/materials needed since I've always had them at my disposal.

I'm not a huge fan of soldering but it's actually dissembling the door cards that is more daunting for me.
There's a sticky detailing the steps on how to remove the door panels, as long as you have a panel removal tool and Philips screwdriver, it's quite easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts