Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am a new member and I have a question, hoping that you can help me (and sorry for my english, i am not a native speaker)

My RAV 4x4 Diesel Limited Editon sounds from time to time.
It sounds like "whoooooooo" and its near the perculator/turbo.
Has anybody the same problem? I only can hear it on some days...not on every and some other guys here in Germany do have the same problem. The Toyota-Garage don´t know, what´s the problem is :roll: and Toyota Germany tells the same stuff. We are working on it... :cry:

Any ideas about that? Anybody with the same Problem?

Thank you for helping me and excuse my bad english.

Indiana

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: Sound by Turbo?

Indiana said:
Hi all,
I am a new member and I have a question, hoping that you can help me (and sorry for my english, i am not a native speaker)

My RAV 4x4 Diesel Limited Editon sounds from time to time.
It sounds like "whoooooooo" and its near the perculator/turbo.
Has anybody the same problem? I only can hear it on some days...not on every and some other guys here in Germany do have the same problem. The Toyota-Garage don´t know, what´s the problem is :roll: and Toyota Germany tells the same stuff. We are working on it... :cry:

Any ideas about that? Anybody with the same Problem?

Thank you for helping me and excuse my bad english.

Indiana
Maybe not enough oil getting to the turbo? Does this happen when your oil is a bit low? Could also be the normal whistle of a turbo waste gate, I don't know how those turbo desiels are made though since we don't have them here.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No....i had this problem from the beginning. Not on every day and only for seconds...sometimes in curves. And only at diesels :?
In our german RAV-Forum are a lot of diesel-drivers with the same problem....

Indiana

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Indiana,

I have a D4D also, but have not noticed any unusual engine noises other than a squeeking drive belt when it is cold. When first driving off gently I can hear a slight whistle from the turbo, but I also hear that from my VW Transporter, and from our previous car, a 306DT.

Keep us posted on this

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, sorry, it is not the sound of the turbo, i know this sound and i have no problems with this.
It sounds form time to time like "whoooooo" "whooooo", not very loud. Often in a right courve when i am slower than 50 km/h.
From my garage i got a new perculator and it stops for 8 months.
Now it came back :roll: .
In our forum there are other RAVers with the same problem and nobody is knowing, what´s to do. Toyota Germany said "we know the problem and we are working on that..."
But this message I get as often as I am asking...*grrrrrrrrr*
Since 2 years....

Indiana

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

The D4-D does have a known problem of Whoooooooo sound when idling cold. This is due to fan belt slip, Toyota are aware of the problem and have modified the belts. I had new modified belts fit today under warranty :D The whole engine is now much quiter at all speeds.

I have also noticed that a turbo whistle can be heard at low engine RPM, low road speed during the warm up stage. This goes off after about 1 mile. I believe this to be normal, have heard same noise on other D4-D's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts