Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome job Walt! :D Do you hear much difference in what you have done so far? Also is that soundproofing just a simple roll from Lowes or Home Depot that is for roofing? I saw 25' rolls about 6-8" (~30-40cm) at Lowes that had a sticky back and the aluminum on the outside just like what you are using.

Looking forward to hearing about your quieter ride

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Signguy,

It’s hard for me to tell if it is quieter because of the Rear Camber & Tire issue I discussed in the other topic.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4468

I was talking to a person at B-quiet and apparently they have a thick material insulator which has lead in it. But that weighs a lot so I probably won’t get it.

I haven’t seen the rolls at Lowes but it sounds similar. Measure the thickness in mm. Also find out if it can be used indoors so that there is no toxicity issue.

Walt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try with either cork or carpet underpad
Ya, I will be doing the carpet underpad over the B-quiet on the floor.
I have a couple of other ideas and if i do them i will add some photos.

Walt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Alexusamail, I had intended to make a few help pages for RAV4W but there did not seem to be much interest so I dropped the page. :(

I just Uploaded them onto my site.

Note: the last section " Carptet Padding....." Just had 1 pick. Basicly you do the floor first like mentioned in #1, Then do the wheel wells in strips.

I will know in one week how well it works once my Winter tires are on the vehicle because they are much quieter than my summers.

Cheers, Walt

·
Registered
346 Posts
waltrav said:
Sorry Alexusamail, I had intended to make a few help pages for RAV4W but there did not seem to be much interest so I dropped the page. :(
Well, there is definitely interest from this quarter. I think the RAV is pretty rumbly and I'd like to (long term) use sound deadener all over the RAV.

For my recent speaker install, I had the place I bought them from install sound deadener in the front doors. I can definitely hear the difference, but now I notice all the extra sound from elsewhere. :D

The place was a higher-end car stereo shop, and they used a sound deadener that is not covered on sounddeadenershowdown.com (http://www.cascadeaudio.com/ ) and it wasn't cheap. Once I figure out how to do sound deadener application better, I'd like to do the rest myself to save on money. Your page will be a great resource in doing that.

I just wanted to add a voice that your article was indeed appreciated. I'd encourage more such help pages if you still feel the urge. Sometimes, people are loudest when they have something to complain about, and not so much when there is praise to be spread.

-Brian
(spreading the praise)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian thanks for the Praise. :D

Makes it all worthwhile to make the page.

I went to a speaker shop just to get info on Butyl products and man it cost many, many times more than ordering it online. They sold tiny strips at an obscene cost. :shock:
Plus it is a labor intensive job, so I can imagine the total cost + Tax.

You will save a fortune doing it yourself. I also suspect that a product mentioned by many others sold in H-depot may be similar and even cheaper, but I have not seen it, know it’s composition (health wise), nor do I have a piece to compare.

Alexusamail,

I personally found that the carpet under pad works for road noise. If you pull up your carpet you will find both a OEM molded under pad and a sheet at the rear.

As for the Butyl or B-quiet type product.
I think it really does it’s job when a speaker/ woofer is pounding within the frame, vibrating the thin steel skin of the car. I have extra so I will try it in the front next year for the road noise.

Cheers, Walt

·
Registered
83 Posts
Waltrav,
looking at your insulation project, I get the feeling that u have used a two step procedure, first layer of silvery stuff followed by sponge like material. There are combined two layer sheets available (of various thickness) at least in this country that would just cut down the effort and time. I was wondering if you had considered that instead if available or you had some valid reason to do it this way. Your pictures are very good and you have given us something to do next summer (too cold in Sweden right now to work out side). The studded winter tyre use here creates a lot of sound problem. Thanks for your pictures.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raj, I tried the B-Quiet Butyl with metal backing first (silver), but was not fully satisfied, so I tried Regular Carpet Under pad. And it worked even better for the type of sound I was dampening.
After the last install I had a left over large piece on top of the carpet for 3 weeks and you could even notice more difference. I think if the sound proofing sold at the Building Supply stores is the same thickness & quality, than you may save even more money.

I did have the front seats and interior out of the car last month but I did not have the time to sound proof.

Please tell us how your install goes next year.

Cheers, Walt :D

L

·
0 Posts
Walt,

This looks great. I want to do it too, now. 8)

On my list are new speakers, sub, amp and sound proofing. Also, I want to add the extra inch long bolt on the front of the drivers seat - i need more height there.

I can't wait to get started.

L

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lem,
I don’t know if I mentioned in the write-up, but make sure that you have a large box to put all of your Plastic Molding, screws, clips in. Also find a place to directly put your Large Plastic Rear panels. I put both in a safe place in the home. That way I could take my time doing the job.

Have fun :D

Walt

·
Registered
382 Posts
I also did some soundproofing but with soundproof carpet underpad over the entire floor under the carpet and inside the rear door. The inside of the car is very quiet now. The price for good quality soundproof underpad is around 3cdn$ per sq.ft. and it a very easy material to work with. I learned many things taking the interior apart :)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zorin good stuff :thumbs_up:

When I have the time I will do the front carpet and doors.

I had the interior out in the fall but no time to do the install :roll:

Walt :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
H-depot sells it.

I can't remember it's thickness but I bought the densest/thickest one they had.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts